KTM Rider Kurt Caselli Killed During Baja 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad news indeed. An incredible rider who will be missed in his sport. Man made booby traps have been an issue in the Baja races, as long as I can remember. God speed and my condolences to his family....

Sad news indeed. An incredible rider who will be missed in his sport. Man made booby traps have been an issue in the Baja races, as long as I can remember. God speed and my condolences to his family....
+1, Gunny; so incredibly sad, Rest in Peace Kurt! Note: Just communicated with some fellow AZ Beemer Club Members who are Baja1000 Fanatics, as of right now the man made booby trap issue has not been proven (even though I do know this has happened in the past, done by local dumbasses!).

121029-thor-kurt-caselli.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, Gunny; so incredibly sad, Rest in Peace Kurt! Note: Just communicated with some fellow AZ Beemer Club Members who are Baja1000 Fanatics, as of right now the man made booby trap issue has not been proven (even though I do know this has happened in the past, done by local dumbasses!).

121029-thor-kurt-caselli.jpg
I raced AMA Hare and Hound in the late 70's & early 80's. Booby traps in Baja were always something we feared. Hopefully, someday, they will be a thing of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most recent report I read was that when the KTM team recovered the bike there was evidence that he had hit a "small animal". No mention was made of a booby trap.

Either way it is a shame.

Very sad indeed. I've watched a few interviews and footage of his riding, he was a real talent and seemed to come across as very personable and humble. Such a loss to all that knew and watched him ride.

At this point, it seems like a lot of mis-infirmation and speculation on the cause of the crash. Booby traps are usually obvious and evidence of small animal parts is nothing new except for a "possible" cause.

It's racing. Hitting jack rabbits and other small critters, in a race, in the desert, just happens......

Like Redfish Hunter stated ; "Either way it is a shame."

Sad thing. When guys this good get hurt or worse it always gives me pause.

Here is another little video I liked of this amazing rider. RIP.

There really is no way to reply to this without sounding like a pompous jackass.

Suffice it to say,,,, after viewing a couple of his videos, let me just say this,,,,

In the most respectful way possible he reminds me of myself when I was all of fourteen years old and first inroduced to dirt riding. The freedom. The absdolute carefree nature of approaching every hazard,,,, not as though your life was on the line but...................... as though your life was on the line. Somewhre in there, there is a difference. Watching his videos brought that back. I didn't know him, honestly never heard of him.

My hero was, and still is J.N. Roberts. I suppose they were kindred spirits. Through them I lived a thousand fantasies. With them, I twisted a thousand throttles. Go in peace my friend. I will twist a throttle in your memory.

Bokerfork

Jees that was sappy. Oh well.

..and so it goes. Pursuit of life and happiness sometimes deals cruel and permanent results.

RIP Racer, Ride in Peace.

There really is no way to reply to this without sounding like a pompous jackass.
In the most respectful way possible he reminds me of myself when I was all of fourteen years old and first inroduced to dirt riding. The freedom. The absdolute carefree nature of approaching every hazard,,,, not as though your life was on the line but...

Go in peace my friend. I will twist a throttle in your memory.

In no way was that pompous and I did not find it sappy either.

We could talk about talent, skill, training, and many many factors that separate the True Greats from us average folks. There are plenty of reasons they can do things that the rest of us cannot even dream of doing. But I think you have hit pretty close to the mark with your post.

IF I did not have a wife and IF I did not have a son I could and would ride harder and faster. Without the grown up responsibilities that we all shoulder our courage might allow us to try the things these fearless young men do every day. I know that the birth of my son instantly took at least 10 degrees off my lean angle. We make our choices and take our chances. It is unfortunate that if you have the courage to ride on the edge, you have a fair chance of slipping over it.

Suffice it to say,,,, after viewing a couple of his videos, let me just say this,,,,

In the most respectful way possible he reminds me of myself when I was all of fourteen years old and first inroduced to dirt riding. The freedom. The absdolute carefree nature of approaching every hazard,,,, not as though your life was on the line but...................... as though your life was on the line. Somewhre in there, there is a difference. Watching his videos brought that back. I didn't know him, honestly never heard of him.

My hero was, and still is J.N. Roberts. I suppose they were kindred spirits. Through them I lived a thousand fantasies. With them, I twisted a thousand throttles. Go in peace my friend. I will twist a throttle in your memory.

Bokerfork

Not sappy at all. Just as J.N. Roberts is a hero to folks of our generation, so is Mr. Caselli to those of his generation. I have read of some of his successes and by all accounts he was a decent young man pursuing his passion and talent.

"Go in peace my friend. I will twist a throttle in your memory." What a lovely sentiment. Bokerfork, I will join you in twisting a throttle and raising a helmet to the memory of this talented lad.

In the most respectful way possible he reminds me of myself when I was all of fourteen years old and first inroduced to dirt riding. The freedom. The absdolute carefree nature of approaching every hazard,,,, not as though your life was on the line but...

Go in peace my friend. I will twist a throttle in your memory.

In no way was that pompous and I did not find it sappy either.

We could talk about talent, skill, training, and many many factors that separate the True Greats from us average folks. There are plenty of reasons they can do things that the rest of us cannot even dream of doing. But I think you have hit pretty close to the mark with your post.

IF I did not have a wife and IF I did not have a son I could and would ride harder and faster. Without the grown up responsibilities that we all shoulder our courage might allow us to try the things these fearless young men do every day. I know that the birth of my son instantly took at least 10 degrees off my lean angle. We make our choices and take our chances. It is unfortunate that if you have the courage to ride on the edge, you have a fair chance of slipping over it.
I'm finding that now that my kids are in college and I have good life and disability insurance, the lean angle is returning
punk.gif
Hopefully it will be the same for you