Speed Bleeders for 2013/Gen 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pterodactyl

Reaction score
Anyone installed speed bleeders on a 2013 yet? The online chart does not list the sizes for a 13 and an email to the folks who make them indicates that they are not sure what fits either.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not match according to the Speed Bleeder folks, but they also said Yamaha has in the past changed part numbers on new models when in fact the bleeders were identical. I'll just have wait until they sort it out or take a chance on buying the bleeders that fit Gen II bikes.

The Gen II bleed screw and rubber cap came together as a 'kit' with one P/N. The Gen III has the bleed screw and cap separate. If you take a look at the fiche it shows the 'kit' for the '14 with an orange triangle note. The 'kit' for the Gen III has the same base number as the kit for the Gen II. I would go out on a limb and say that the Gen II bleeder and the Gen III bleeder are the same.

Gen II kit: 8CR-W0048-00-00

Gen III kit: 36Y-W0048-00-00

Yamaha part numbers typically use the first 3 digits to indicate the year or specific model with the unique item descriptor following. Since this is within the same basic model there is an excellent chance that the first three characters are for the year and the item descriptor is for the same part. I say typically because I have seen a 1978 P/N be the same as a 1989 P/N but the parts were for different models, a XS-400 vs a V-Max.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone installed speed bleeders on a 2013 yet? The online chart does not list the sizes for a 13 and an email to the folks who make them indicates that they are not sure what fits either.
Tell ya what: I got 2 ea. SpeedBleeder # SB8125L that were supposed to fit a Mazda but didn't. I know for a fact that they will fit all but the rear on Gen II.

In the spirit of the Pay It Forward movement, if you PM me your info I will send them to you free so you can be the first to check out the sizes on the 2013 and it won't cost you anything but time and brake fluid.

No notes in there that specifically answer the 2013 question.
There's no notes in there that specifically answer the 2012 question, either. And $15 for a single SB8125LL? That's more than twice the price than the mfr's website
fool.gif

Did they change the calipers on the '13? If not then the Gen. II ones will definitely work.

Get ahold of Alex at https://mishacycles.com. His prices are great, he offers a Forum discount, and he will know what you need on your bike; although, he may not have a ton of '13 info. Someone may have to be the guinea pig. They can't be that different.

I remember when I did mine, it really looked like the only difference between caliper positions and the clutch was the length of the nipple. I want to say the threads were all the same...I could also be totally full of crap on this. Hell, I could go home and measure the threads on my OEM bleed nipples to see if there is any difference.

I'm happy to say the Ptero took me up on my offer so in a few days he'll receive the speedbleeders I had and we can get some definitive info as to whether they fit his '13 or not.

IIRC 'Zilla is right. The 3 front and clutch are the same thread but one is longer, can't remember which one. The rear is different. And +1 on mishacycles.com, nothing but good on these, brake pads, etc. that I've purchased from him.

I'm happy to say the Ptero took me up on my offer so in a few days he'll receive the speedbleeders I had and we can get some definitive info as to whether they fit his '13 or not.
IIRC 'Zilla is right. The 3 front and clutch are the same thread but one is longer, can't remember which one. The rear is different. And +1 on mishacycles.com, nothing but good on these, brake pads, etc. that I've purchased from him.
Fronts are 8mm, rear is 7mm thread. Forgot which one is diff. length of the 8mm ones though.

I received two SB8125L speed bleeders from rbentnail. The SB8125L does not fit the rear caliper; the thread is too large. They do fit the front calipers. I have one installed in the right caliper and the other one is in unified brake system position.

Thank you Russ. I have family in your general vicinity. Perhaps I'll be able to repay your generosity with a cold beverage someday.

I received two SB8125L speed bleeders from rbentnail. The SB8125L does not fit the rear caliper; the thread is too large. They do fit the front calipers. I have one installed in the right caliper and the other one is in unified brake system position.
Thank you Russ. I have family in your general vicinity. Perhaps I'll be able to repay your generosity with a cold beverage someday.
As I said in post #14, the rear is 7mm. Jes tryin' to help.
pioneer.gif