Too Fast! TOO FAST! TOOO FAAAST!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We ride the same roads. I love Dupont State forest & always take East Fork rd when I'm over that way.

Yeah sounds like it was a bit much for your wife. You prob should have eased her into it more than you did. Riding is not for everyone and riding fast in the mtn twisties is not for everyone or everyone's wife. Hopefully you didn't scare her off the next ride. Sounds like Hwy 11 is more her speed with the pretty scenery and mostly straight valley riding.

If your wife is yelling for you to slow down...that's what you should do. Know who your audience is and who your passenger is and that might mean riding completely differently than when you ride solo. But if you do that at least you can spend some riding time together.

Last edited by a moderator:
We ride the same roads. I love Dupont State forest & always take East Fork rd when I'm over that way.
Yeah sounds like it was a bit much for your wife. You prob should have eased her into it more than you did. Riding is not for everyone and riding fast in the mtn twisties is not for everyone or everyone's wife. Hopefully you didn't scare her off the next ride. Sounds like Hwy 11 is more her speed with the pretty scenery and mostly straight valley riding.

If your wife is yelling for you to slow down...that's what you should do. Know who your audience is and who your passenger is and that might mean riding completely differently than when you ride solo. But if you do that at least you can spend some riding time together.
+1 good advise if you want a happy wife. Even though my wife is great in the twisties I still have backed down my pace and try to ride like the bike has an automatic transmission. Smooth is the key, takes more thought than just riding by yourself.

It gets better with each ride. My g/f use to tap my back and shoulders, then yelling at me to slow down. Now we get done with the ride and she says "that was fun!". I still don't scrape pegs with her so you still have to know your limits.

So give it time, you'll be good.

The title was from her talking to her self. I was actually going very slow in the twisties. Some of those really tight turns were almost like parking lot maneuvers. Shannon actually picked Brevard for lunch and that is the route we usually take so we gave it a shot.

Definitely need to go a little shorter next time, but overall I think she had a good time.

Smooth is the key, takes more thought than just riding by yourself.
For sure. Riding 2up is completely different. The ole helmet smacking from gear upshifting makes you shift much more deliberate & smoother than if your rip roaring by yourself.

If your wife is yelling for you to slow down...that's what you should do.
Only if you want her to keep going with you
wink.png
Ha...that's true! But if that's the case you have much bigger issues at home to tackle. lol

I still don't scrape pegs with her so you still have to know your limits.
With the new front fork springs & rear Penske shock I don't scrape at all now. Use to fairly often on the old suspension riding with my wife in back. Normally in the twisties she shouts "Go faster! Go faster!!!"

The title was from her talking to her self. I was actually going very slow in the twisties. Some of those really tight turns were almost like parking lot maneuvers. Shannon actually picked Brevard for lunch and that is the route we usually take so we gave it a shot.
Definitely need to go a little shorter next time, but overall I think she had a good time.
10-4

I guess what's slow for you might still be scary for her. She just needs to get her riding "sea legs" and realize she's not gonna die out there. lol.

I'm glad she still had a good time overall!
smile.png

I kinda wanna show this post to my g/f... but then again, why stir the pot!?
Go for it! What's the worst that can happen?

I actually got my wife a Ninja 250 to learn on. She did pretty good, but she couldn't control her nerves and I really didn't want her to get hurt so we sold teh bike and I rolled that money into the FJR. I wanted to have a bike that is comfortable for a passenger and then hopefully, like GeorgiaRoller said, she can get her "sea legs" for riding. I'm not going to hold my breathe, but I hope someday she will want to try and ride again. Either way, its fun to share the ride with her.

Had a similar experience, with two past girlfriends. They were fine in the straights as long as I am going the speed limit, and then thumbs downs in the twisties unless I am going at least 5 under the limit. Spent some time tutoring them on what late apex means, but it still scared them. Riding isn't for everyone, and riding 2-up definitely isn't for everyone including me. One of the ex'es still wants to ride in the back, but I don't offer because I don't want to ride their way.

I think I have only had one positive 2-up riding experience, on Hwy 108 and Hwy 49 'The Little Dragon' section, with a girl I dated for a short time. She was a great 2-up passenger, and she knew how to be in tandem with me and a lot of fun, but no long term potential.

Had a similar experience, with two past girlfriends. They were fine in the straights as long as I am going the speed limit, and then thumbs downs in the twisties unless I am going at least 5 under the limit. Spent some time tutoring them on what late apex means, but it still scared them. Riding isn't for everyone, and riding 2-up definitely isn't for everyone including me.
Dang! Man I tell you what...if you find a little lady that you click with on a personal level and then you find out she not only likes to ride as much as you do but also as fast as you do...go get yourself a ring & get down on one knee!
smile.png
This shot of me & my wife a.k.a "StreetBetty" pretty much sums up how she feels about riding the mtn twisties!
punk.gif
I decided I had to keep her around.

GR-SB_zpsdf7ca6b5.jpg

Nice pic GeorgiaRoller. I think there has only been two people that have been really easy pillions for me. One was actually my sister in law. I've never taken her on a long ride, but she is definitely not scared of speed and twisties.

The other is my niece. She knows no fear :) I took her up pretty much the same route on my FZ1 and she absolutely loved it. My practice wife was not a good rider at all. She was always scared and pretty much NO balance. Every stop was a fight to keep the bike up because she was leaning over or something. Good riddens with her though, she was way too cheaty! :)

Here's my niece:

20121123_105802.jpg

Kudos to Shannon, take care of that girl. I can't give you any better advice than to absorb what others have posted. Take it easy, and the confidence will come. Off the bike, perhaps teach her how to lean with you, that it's actually better not to go too slow for better balance, that centrifugal force will keep you in your seat and she won't fall off, even if she's not white-knuckling the hand holds or even hanging on at all like StreetBetty..... it will take time to get there, practice a bit on shorter rides, and you will.

My practice wife was not a good rider at all... Good riddens with her though, she was way too cheaty!
smile.png
Yep...been there, done that as well my friend. My "Practice wife" had the same issue. lol. Had to throw her into the scrap heap and make a major upgrade to the "Real wife". Mucho mo' betta now.

My practice wife was not a good rider at all... Good riddens with her though, she was way too cheaty!
smile.png
Yep...been there, done that as well my friend. My "Practice wife" had the same issue. lol. Had to throw her into the scrap heap and make a major upgrade to the "Real wife". Mucho mo' betta now.
Hey GR, where is this scrap heap that you speak of...I think I need to drop something off.