Thunderhill Eye candy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Our resident Russperry invited me to join him for a track day at Thunderhill Raceway in Northern ca. I have ridden there before on my FZ6 and FZ1 but haven't had my KTM on the track yet so it was time to see what the V Twin could do. I hope he has some good video to share. Between sessions I did take a few pictures of some of the track candy that was everywhere.

Hayden replica

IMG_2676_zpsd3072a50.jpg

A very different pain job but looked real nice up close

IMG_2673_zpse26b133e.jpg

I'll take one of each please.

IMG_2677_zpsacc27bc6.jpg

There were a few other KTM's at the track

IMG_2672_zps94ec4719.jpg

A very trick RC8, notice the stand that picks up the complete bike.

IMG_2671_zps063ebee3.jpg

My 990 Supermoto T in feeling racy

IMG_2685_zpsea1d0525.jpg

The electric boys were there doing testing. Shane told us they make 200# of torque

IMG_2670_zps67cde9d8.jpg

Here's our racing Russ tweaking his 636 to a fine fast machine. It was a pleasure to spend the day at the track and ride with him, thanks bud. I was surprised I could keep him in sight on the track as the Kawi has a bit more top end but the Brembo's on my KTM were awesome in helping me catch up a little in the braking zones.

IMG_2683_zpsaab3a355.jpg

It was a fast smooth day and I think my PR2 is scrubbed in by now.

IMG_2686_zpsfbc860c5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice "eye-candy" pics Doug!

Looks like you're getting full use outta that PR2!!
rolleyes.gif

--G

Good Stuff. I so want to do a track day.
You can do it Red, my first track day was on my 04 FJR. Check into it as some tracks rent bike too. Besides having fun it will take your riding to another level.

Nice "eye-candy" pics Doug!
Looks like you're getting full use outta that PR2!!
rolleyes.gif

--G
Thanks George, Russ was really ripping up his Dunlop's

Looks fun.Mental note: Buy track bike.
Be like Russ, he found his from a kid that spent way too much money on race farkles but couldn't afford to keep it.

IMG_2686_zpsfbc860c5.jpg
Doug - Looks like a blast! Glad you guys had fun. Track days are always a good time... unless you crash then it's only bad after the crash. :dribble:

Might want to make sure your tire isn't glazed (shot). Usually when you get the tires that hot on the track and they start pilling up the rubber, you need to get them to that temperature again to get them to stick like they did. In a glazed fashion they might act like there was ice on the road when riding on the street. YMMV.

Ride safe my friend. ;)

IMG_2686_zpsfbc860c5.jpg
Doug - Looks like a blast! Glad you guys had fun. Track days are always a good time... unless you crash then it's only bad after the crash.
dribble.gif

Might want to make sure your tire isn't glazed (shot). Usually when you get the tires that hot on the track and they start pilling up the rubber, you need to get them to that temperature again to get them to stick like they did. In a glazed fashion they might act like there was ice on the road when riding on the street. YMMV.

Ride safe my friend.
wink.png
I was even harder on new pr2's with my FZ1 on the track and they were just fine on the street. Thanks for the heads up, I'll go easy on my first street ride

Looks fun.

Mental note: Buy track bike.
You can do it Wheatie. lots of cheap 600cc sport bikes out there low mileage, only dropped once.
I feel like I stole the one I got - it was mint condition, never dropped, PO claimed he never even rode it in the rain which I believed by how clean it was (but no longer is). I estimate that he had over $20k into the bike based on the content - Ohlins shock and fork cartridges, Galfer brakes, forged aluminum wheels, full race exhaust. steering damper, Sato rearsets, power commander, etc... I got the whole package for $5k including 6 spare OEM oil filters, chain tool kit, 2 Pitbull stands, and more.

Like Karl says, you can find clean street bikes for pretty cheap, or if you want one already set up for the track but don't mind that its been ridden hard, you can go to the WERA classifieds - lots of 600 or liter bikes totally tricked out for the track for a lot less $ than if you tried to do it yourself.

I figure when I'm done that I can part out all the high ticket items and sell the stock bike and at worst break even, less all the spend on tires and track days of course
smile.png
In the mean time I'm having serious fun
punk.gif

Looks like a great day! Nice pictures
punk.gif
smile.png
+1, Gunny; thank you Dr. Rich for the fantastic photos of David, I wonder if Russ and Doug were leaned that far over! jes' sayin' and nuff said!
To save everyone a few minutes, answer is no! But at least its me, and not my kid...

First two pics are from Thunderhill in late October, last photo is from Sonoma-Sears Point back in June, before the street skins were swapped for some Flea Bay track plastics. Last photo is the Q2 after 6 track days - Thunderhill is mainly fast left hand sweepers so there's a pretty noticeable flat spot on that side. You can also clearly see the 1/4" chicken strip still remaining, so there's a way to go before my elbow is draggin' the asphalt :)

Thunderhill%2520Turn%25202%2520-%2520100413%2520-%2520001.jpg

Thunderhill%2520Turn%252010%2520-%2520100413%2520-%2520002.jpg

Sonoma%2520-%2520Turn%25202_001.jpg

Q2%2520Rear%2520Wear.jpg

Dr. Itch

If your son would stay in his seat he could get that bike over another 15 degrees.

Geez, anybody could drag their knee if they slide that far toward the pavement.

JSNS,

Mark

Dr. Itch
If your son would stay in his seat he could get that bike over another 15 degrees.

Geez, anybody could drag their knee if they slide that far toward the pavement.

JSNS,

Mark
Oh Brother, Mad Marky-Mark is commenting on how to ride fast! What's next: RadioHowie talking about his success at laying women, HotRodZilla practicing Transcendental Meditation, Niehart claiming to be 45 years old, Bust NOT screwing sheep or Papa Chuy claiming to be sober! JSNS!