Schuberth C3 or C3 Pro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Is the Pro worth the extra $$?

I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on a quieter helmet than my Arai XD...

Preliminary research indicates the C3's are really quiet..

I've been real happy with my C3 pro. I went with the high visibility version and get lots of comments so that obviously works.

I have the C3-Pro, love it! It's 2db quieter than the plain C3, maybe not that much in numbers but every little bit helps
smile.png

I also optioned for the SRC Comm (built-in to the lower collar pad) and also upgraded the sound drivers to Bose. Unbelievable BT sound quality! Nothing in the helmet world at this time can touch this combo. Nuttin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went through the very same dilemma just recently.

Viewed the write up on Web Bike World and the customer reviews eg on Revzilla,and some pommy sites.

I think Revzilla has the video comparison between the two of them.

I had to make sure that the helmet was true to size and head shape, esp that I was buying on cyberspace.

They are both great helmets, I ended up with the C3, approx $550 Aussie $ including shipping.

Very quiet and light, fits like a glove, the best flip I've owned.

However the visor spring tension is a bit weak and the chin strap micro lock mech is a bit annoying on the throat.

My Aussie post

I have a C3 with over 25,000 miles on it. It is a good helmet, but not a great helmet. The visor is designed to close automatically at about 35 MPH; maddening at times. There is a fix from Schuberth or one can put Orings in the visor mechanism, but not what one would expect from a $600 helmet. It is not particularly quiet when on a naked bike or when the windshield is lowerd. The Pro has fixed the visor issue.

The craftsmanship on the C3 is excellent, but before spending so much on a helmet I recommend you shop around. There are probably some equally good helmets for half the price.

I love my C3 Pro! Try them on. I found the fit and feel of the Pro to the C3. I'm fairly sure you can't go wrong picking either one.

I tried on both at Iron Pony last year, IMHO I'd go with the Pro. However, I ended up with a Shoe Neotec Borealis, which is the best modular I've had. Have not had a Schuberth or tested one.

There is a fix from Schuberth or one can put Orings in the visor mechanism
Hi Pterodactyl,

Could you point me in the right direction on this one. It's one of the only gripes I have with the Schuberth.

Will do a bit of Googleing

I did know of it before I bought the helmet, the way it closes up.

Ken, While at the BMWMOA rally last summer I visited the Schuberth vender area. They were installing new ratcheting mechanisms on the C3s that current owners brought in to their area. I had worn my Shoie to the rally and they would not give me the upgraded parts to install myself. The Schuberth staff claimed one would need a torque wrench that could be adjusted to less than one NM. I know one of the Schuberth staff and she told me that putting in an oring on each side of the visor at the ratcheting mechanism would do the job even better than their fix. I tried it and it works well.

You need to remove the visor. On each end, on the interior side there is a raised circular flange about 5 cm in diameter. Place an oring anywhere inside each of the circular areas; they just sit in the circular area as near to the center as you can keep them while reinstalling the visor. The oring should be roughly 1.5 mm x 15 mm. Exact size is not critical. You are simply trying to add some friction to the operating mechanism. Buy a few sizes and experiment.

With the orings installed my C3 visor generally stays wherever I want it to stay. Good luck.

I have had (still have the C3 sitting on the shelf) both a C3 and a Neotec, the Shoei Neotec is better than the C3 by a country mile. Have been using the Neotec for 40k miles.

I had some private requests for more detailed info concerning using orings in the Shuberth visor to stop the automatic closure function. Here ya go....

This will give you an idea of the size orings I used. One for each side of the visor.

IMG_0879_zpsf9f8a31f.jpg

Remove the visor from the helmet and place one oring in the circular area on each side.

IMG_0881_zps6b2b66a3.jpg

Reinstall the visor. It can take some fideling to get the visor on with the orings still in place. It is doable and will look like this when completed. The oring will become distorted after the visor is moved up and down.

IMG_0878_zpsc31f3839.jpg

Sounds like a bandaid fix on an expensive helmet!

..I used plastic washers on my Arai HD. Same idea, but think o-rings might be best.

Not sure if it's a "problem" or the way the shield was designed.

My C3 Pro has the O-ring - Schuberth US suggested that if I wanted the shield to stay in one position.

I've had zero problems with my Pro... Superior lid :) , Superior price :(

Bottom line, if ya got the money (and you must have at least some just looking at the Schuberth line in general) go for the Pro version.

I have the C3 and have been very happy with it. As Top Speed said, the BT integration is pretty slick. Had the C3 Pro been available I probably would have gone for that (let's face it, those of us shopping for Schuberth's aren't doing so because we're looking for a "good enough" helmet) but I have few if any complaints about the C3. Never experienced or heard of the visor "dropping" issue before...

The visors were designed to close automatically. Schuberth recommended that slow sppeds the visor could be raised to the "city-travel position", but this even closed at around 30 MPH. They claimed that the helmet was so well ventilated that you need not have the visor raised in high heat or humidity. Not true and should not be their decision. At some point Schuberth caught on and stopped making their helmets this way. I think at some point the C3 changed and I'm told the Pro is not designed this way. As I mentioned earlier, Schuberth will install a revised ratcheting system for you. You must, however find one of their vender stations at a rally to have the work done. They would not give me the new parts claiming that mere mortals would break the new stuff while trying to install it. At the Salem BMW rally last July the Schuberth folks said they plan to supply kits to their dealers so that the dealers can make the fix. You'd have to take your helmet to the place you purchased it. Tough if you did it on-line. All disappointing for such an expensive helmet. The oring fix works just fine and I wear my Schuberth 90% of the time, but were I shopping for another helmet I would sure try many other brands.