Zonies: Anyone interested in riding to Austin USGP races?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Yuup! and the good seats are almost sold out already from what i can tell from the site. Theres alot of general admission, just bring your chair. Not sure what I'm gonna do, just started looking. Went last year and am Damn sure going again this year. They moved it uo one week from last year and it was a little chilly and windy on the way down and back up, but just right while in Tejas, It was nothing but BBQ and motorcycles for five days, can't go wrong there. Would'nt miss it.

We stayed in Lockhart TX and came in to the track from the south. Alot closer to the best BBQ in Texas and ALOT less traffic getting into the track. Austin is a freaking traffic mess most of the time. Get parking lot H or J for you bike parking unless they changed it up. Can't wait!

did they jack up the prices on the motel for this event? Austin is famous for doing that.
For Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights it was $330 total working out to $110 a night, SouthernCruizer Bro' I don't know what the regular rates would have been!

Tim, are you a super cool contributing member of society, or one of those swarthy low-life retired people?

Because super cool people have to allocate thier vacation days and those other kind have vacation EVERY DAY.

As for me, I will be leaving the east valley after work on Wednesday, doing 7 hrs to El Paso, Tx, and grabbing a cheap hotel along the freeway. Then Thursday, it's another 10 hrs ride to Austin, arriving Thursday late afternoon.

Those who have more time and don't want to Iron Butt, might want to do differently.

Yo C 4 - Tim, I will be riding along with Brian Boles! I also love to do Iron Butt Riding, when I can't have the Tecate Cerveza Girls ese!

tecate-girls6_opt.jpg

I'm going to take the senic route both down and back up. We made a mad dash last year and really regreted not having more time for more BBQ and riding the Tejas hill country. The Blue bonnets bloom during that time and it is really cool riding through miles and miles of blue fields. Gonna hit the Salt Lick and Franklins BBQ, then settle in for all the good BBQ Lockhart has to offer, Smitty's Market, Blacks BBQ, and Krueze Market, don't think I spelled that right. The races last year were kinda boring, the Hondas were alot faster then anything else. The Yamahas could't go as deep into the corners because of brake rotor issues and it was no contest really, But it was fun watching those prototypes run, what an awsome sound the make. I wants me a Ducati or a cross plane Yammie. It's all in all a very good weekend to be in the Austin area, nice weather, world class riders and the women that come to see them....Woow.

I was just in Austin a couple weeks ago...one of my favorite BBQ places there is Ironworks, right behind the convention center.

you'll be sorry staying in Austin, unless you enjoy sitting in traffic all the time. It was a freaking mess last year comming in from Austin. Best Western in Lockhart was $106 for a double, which includes a nice short ride through freshly cut hay fields to the track. a controled left turn into the track, motorcycle lane into the bike parking. About 20mins max. We stayed at the Plumb Creek Inn last year, about $70 a night for a double, no breakfast, hot tub, or pool. just sayin, last time I'll bug about it too.

you'll be sorry staying in Austin, unless you enjoy sitting in traffic all the time. It was a freaking mess last year comming in from Austin. Best Western in Lockhart was $106 for a double, which includes a nice short ride through freshly cut hay fields to the track. a controled left turn into the track, motorcycle lane into the bike parking. About 20mins max. We stayed at the Plumb Creek Inn last year, about $70 a night for a double, no breakfast, hot tub, or pool. just sayin, last time I'll bug about it too.

Check a Austin map. Gordon lives near Zilker Park, just SW of downtown. The track is SE of the Airport. The route to the track is MoPac (TX-1) to Capital of Texas Parkway (TX-360) to Ben White (TX-71) then around the north side of the Airport and then onto the Eastside Loop (TX-130). Lots of choices along that path. Cheapest stuff is likely to be near the intersection of TX-71 and I-35.

Yo Bud we are staying where we are staying because our Austin Buddy Gordon is providing a nightly Texas BBQ with free beer, for free beer and unlimited Steak/Ribs/Brats I can deal with traffic ese! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

can't argue with logic like that. But a slight correction, BBQ is a type of food, steaks and brats are "grilled" and you are attending a "cook out". The ribs might be slowly smoked to make them "BBQ". Sorry I couldn't help it, I'm a Certified Pit Master who cooks "BBQ" Anyway have fun and we'll meet up at the races for sure!

you Zonies getting seats or going general admission? If seats, where? and if Gen Ad, take some folding chairs and find a place with a big screen in front to watch. Just trying to help. See you there.

Here's the link:

https://circuitoftheamericas.com/motogp/tickets

Scroll down for 3 day general admission and 3 day parking.

Yep, my return plan is to leave after the race on Sunday, make Fort Stockton before midnight, catch some Z's, then make it back to Mesa Monday night. Then try to look awake as I sleep at my desk Tuesday.

Sounds good to me, won't book Fort Stockton until I find out if Tim is going to do a SS1000 or not; I actually am scared shitless about the deer on I-10 in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico at night, they killed Larry Grodsky those furry bastards did! https://www.post-gazette.com/news/obituaries/2006/04/11/Obituary-Lawrence-Grodsky-Top-American-expert-on-motorcycle-safety/stories/200604110210

I-10 ain't the problem. Hwy 290 between Austin and Junction is known locally as the venison slaughter house. Last year, I made it off of 290 at Junction before twilight, then while on I-10 I hooked up with any nice fast 4-wheeler and rode his wake. Lots of traffic on I-10 to roll with even up to midnight.

Road plan -
Phoenix to Safford (gas)
Safford to Deming (gas)
Deming to El Paso (gas then hotel)
El Paso to Van Horn (gas)
Van Horn to Fort Stockton (gas)
Fort Stockton to Sonora (gas lunch)
Sonora to Fredericsburg (gas)
Fredericsburg to Austin

Same basic plan back, except hotel in Fort Stockton. La Quinta. About $75/night.

OK just to be clear, we're booking our own rooms for the ride out and back.
Wednesday, 4-9-14, Super 8 7144 Gateway East, El Paso, TX to be sure.
And Sunday 4-13-14 at the only LaQuinta in Fort Stockton. Correct?

Looks like this is the plan Tim, I'll book El Paso and Fort Stockton for the two of us later today! Super 8 El Paso Airport. About $40/ night.

You guys are way too organized for me. We will leave Albuquerque and stop whenever we want and eat at any place that looks interesting, and wonder around the state for a couple of days checking out weird or interesting stuff, gonna hit the Salt Lick on the way in, and end up at COTA for the races, then do the same thing on the way home. If the weather cooperates, April is the absolute best time of year to ride Tejas. The HDs clog the highways in the hill country on the weekends, but we'll be at the races then, woo hoo! Can''t wait!