2014 horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you who have the 2014 bike, Is the single horn adequate? Is there a mounting point on the right side to add a second horn?
I never had a bike, and I had a few, that the stock (one or two) horns, were adequate...
no2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really adequate, but neither was my '08 or FZ6 or...

I don't think many stock bikes or even Asian-built cars have adequate horns.

Get "loud pipes" like the v-twin crowd and you won't need a horn!
dry.png

Seriously, the stock horns on most if not all bikes are just enough to satisfy the requirement to have a horn.

Has anyone with a '13 or newer FJR upgraded the horn?

Those of you who have the 2014 bike, Is the single horn adequate? Is there a mounting point on the right side to add a second horn?
I just bought a 2014 FJR, and IMHO, the answer is: No, the horn is not adequate.

However, it rates right up there with the horn on my wife's Honda Civic which also is inadequate.

Almost all stock motorcycle horns are not adequate.

I have not yet had a chance to look/see if there is room for a 2nd one or not on the FJR.

Why not just use the single PIAA sports horn as a replacement for the single OEM horn? Mine is pretty loud. Unless there is another, better option.

Why not just use the single PIAA sports horn as a replacement for the single OEM horn? Mine is pretty loud. Unless there is another, better option.
What model Sports Horn are you using? See they have a couple models.

Not really adequate, but neither was my '08 or FZ6 or... I don't think many stock bikes or even Asian-built cars have adequate horns.
The horns on my Goldwing were terrific. They sounded like a large American car with the dual trumpets. They weren't very large either.

I don't even have horns on my ZRX. If anything happens, I just yell real loud and cuss a lot.

Get "loud pipes" like the v-twin crowd and you won't need a horn!
dry.png

Seriously, the stock horns on most if not all bikes are just enough to satisfy the requirement to have a horn.

Has anyone with a '13 or newer FJR upgraded the horn?
I'm quite fond of the Hella Duo-Tones. Pretty tight fit on the Gen I & II but, slide right on to the Gen III with room to spare. And as a matter of direct experiment, they will bitch slap a cage right back into their own lane.

+1 for the bitch slapping cagers with Hella Super Tones. Something to behold and I'll admit to worrying about one soccer mom who corrected so quickly I was afraid she was headed off the shoulder.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="art miller" data-cid="1111597" data-time="1386639152"><p>

+2 for "bitch slapping" love that term!! Back to the horn, does the Hella Super Tones require adding wire and splicing? </p></blockquote>

While on the subject, it's a good idea to run after market horns through a relay.
The Hella's are available as a kit our just the horns. If you get the kit, it's it a simple installation of removing the old horn, connecting the relay to the existing wire, connect the relay to the horns then mint the horns in existing mounting spots?

Latest posts