Central Florida tech day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
I wanted to post this as it's own topic. We've been talking about it on the "Florida Riders".

I am hosting a FJR tech day at my house in Mims zip 32754 on Saturday, January 18, 2014. I will PM my address to anyone that is interested - all are welcome!

I have a pretty good setup for most things. I haven't "done it all", but have done a fair amount of maintenance on mine. Some of the more complicated jobs I've either not done, or once or twice, but post it here and we'll figure it out. In fact, if you do have something more complicated, we'll need to make sure we have the tools and parts to get'r'done.

Even if you just want to hang out, that's OK too. I'll stock some refreshments. For food we were throwing around doing dogs on the grill + I have some Tombstones in the freezer that can be served up. If there's anything special you want to drink or eat, bring it!

I'm working now to get the workshop cleaned up and cleared out. I have two Handy lifts:

https://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/motorcycle-lifts-lifting-tables-c-110_111/handy-standard-1000-lift-with-vise-american-made-p-782?zenid=ec0059e8492c532a7138eb74ddc80bf2

a regular type lift like from Craftsman:

https://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-motorcycle-atv-jack/p-00950190000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

and of course a scissor jack + 2x4 to get the front wheel off the ground while on the center stand.

Jim aka fljab

321-267-2763

I'll be there working on changing out my front tire and getting rid of some of them hotdogs...

I'm also available to help anybody wanting to do their Gen 1 forks. I can bring along my special tools and service manual to get the job done. Just bring the fork oil, and/or oil seals, and upper and lower bushings (and maybe dust seals if you're OCD like me) if ya wanna go that deep. I replaced all the above at 40 k on my 05 this past week. Turns out the bushings were fine but one seal was trashed.

Gary

I will be there, only question for me is which FJR has the most "Needs".Time to order some parts and do some reading.
Whatcha thinking about fixin'?

While I'm thinking about it, fellers, anybody have a Sealmate? I know they're cheap and was thinking about getting one. I heard you can make em outa thin plastic yourself... but not sure about that, besides, we don't want to advocate breaking anybody's patent laws
sleep.png

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in. I really want to witness how some of those here, work on their bikes! (( :) ))

If time is available, I have a Murphy's cruise control that I would really like to install. We won it at EOM last fall. Other than that, I'm good.

FLFJRS

Jim

If time is available, I have a Murphy's cruise control that I would really like to install. We won it at EOM last fall. Other than that, I'm good. FLFJRS Jim
Murphy's = CCS-100, yes?

Do you have a check valve and a vacuum tank built? I put mine under the seat, but I've seen them in multiple locations, so that needs to be decided as well. Most of it is straight forward tho.

Oh, and your control pad - using stock (w/silicone mod) - bracket? I personally didn't like the stock pad because I found it hard to manipulate with gloves on, but many here have no issue. If you got time, stop on by some weekend when you're off as you are close and we'll sort it out.

My needs are minor. I'll be more than happy to help anyone on a bigger job so I can watch and learn. I know my way around a set of tools like nobody's business. Jim, keep a list of the number of participants so I can bring enough hot dogs for everyone. I'll bring my own brew so, I will need refrigerator space. Please turn it up! Me likes ice cold beer! That is all for now. :)

Gary - I got your tire today.

If when you get here it looks like it's a used one, and a new PR2 is on mine, pay that no mind................

I assume the weights are tucked in there somewhere? Ha... ya wanna hear something funny? I found the weights... about 5 of them... that were glued to my front rim, laying on the floor of the workshop tonight. I'd taken the wheel off to rebuild the forks. The wheel was simply leaning against a cabinet for 2 weeks while I worked on the forks. Tonight I put it back on the bike as I finished up the forks. The weights had fallen off and were just laying on the floor. Strangest thing. Absolutely no rhyme or reason why they'd fall off... especially THERE. Apparently the adhesive was getting weak and the weights just fell off on the floor. Now I'm wondering, why didn't they fall off out on the road somewhere? Why in the workshop?

How strange.

Gary

I am interested in this tech day too. Are there people in Tampa area that I can follow with?

Roy

t

I am interested in this tech day too. Are there people in Tampa area that I can follow with?
Roy
Roy,

You are invited ! There are riders to ride with, just check out the posters.

Try a PM to garyahouse or any other west coasters, and they will be glad to ride east with you.

See you there.

Tony

Hoping I can make it. Sounds like a real blast coming after the good times at Mark's place last month. I'd be interested just watching you guys doing your thing and 'specially picking up tips about lubing the driveshaft ends if that's going down on the day.

Roy......would be glad to ride with you and maybe Gary also and anyone else heading out from the Tampa area.I have have no real idea on an alternative route, by car I use I4 or maybe SR528?

Gary..... I have a seal mate type of thing I made up myself after watching one of the online videos. Just used it today for the second time and have to say it seems to work great. Cut it from a piece of plastic shim stock I had lying around, as you do!

Steve

Roy......would be glad to ride with you and maybe Gary also and anyone else heading out from the Tampa area.I have have no real idea on an alternative route, by car I use I4 or maybe SR528?
Yes, coming from Tampa, I actually use the I-4 to the Greenway (SR 417) to the Beachline (SR 528) to I-95 to SR 46 into Mims, then north on US1. The Greenway can be skipped to avoid the tolls but I usually run it depending on what I think Orlando Traffic will be.

If you want to avoid the tolls altogether, then take I-4 through Orlando to Exit 101A - HE Thomas jr Parkway which is SR46A and follow that East until it becomes SR46 (at the 17/92 intersection) and continue ~30 miles further to Mims. It's slower and more traffic, but I use that to cut over to certain parts of the upper Orlando area (Apopka, Altamonte Springs). The

The eastern part of SR 46 (between I95 and Geneva) is a beautiful ride, but also well traveled because it's one of the only ways across the swamp, so don't get in a hurry. Many do (get in a hurry) making it a potentially dangerous section. I was just on this road Saturday when I went to Sanford for some salvage aluminum/new aux tank material.

If you wanted to avoid the interstates as much as possible, then you'll have to go up and around and basically connect SR46 ~Mt. Dora, like maybe SR 50 to 471 through Webster, then 48 over to Howey-in-the-Hills, up 19 to 448 east and connect to SR 46 on the other side of 441 around Sorrento somewhere. I've used that route quite a few times.

Going south, get to Lakeland and come over on a combo of 530, 531, eventually catching 532 east of St. Cloud. That will wind around through Mormon land to SR 520, which you can take east to 524 then I95 North.

I'm pretty sure there's a lift for you, Tony. If not, let me know how that 4:30 thing works for you. I'm still helping you but, it'll be a little later that 4:30. Lmao

Lifts are FCFS LOL, but T maybe we can squeeze you in somewhere.

As to start time - the earlier the better up to a point. I could do 0700 if pressed, but 0800-0900 would be great.

If you must get here earlier, I'll let you in so you can get started while I go back and take another nap (or at least another cup of coffee)!

Seriously, I can accommodate as long as I know when to expect..........