Tools on the FJR: What additional ones do you carry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren_TK

Reaction score
Of course the bike comes with some tools. However, experience has taught me that the tool set that comes with the bike is not quite adequate. However, you don't want to go overboard. While it might be amuzing to see a big, red, rolling shop cabinet attached to the trailer hitch, it would probably have a negative impact on performance.

My rule (tire inflator excluded) is that the tools have to fit under the seat.

Here is the list of tools I'm bringing over from the Vulcan:

• Driver (ratchet style)
  • Sockets -- 4mm to 11mm
  • Bits--Common flat-head, Phillips, Allen, and TORX sizes
  • Folding Allen set
  • 90 degree vavle stem adapter (I should remove this item, as there is PLENTY of room to get to the valve stem on the rear tire)
  • Tire (tyre) patch kit
UPDATE: I keep the update list in a Google spreadsheet.

As a test of my tool set, I'm using the bike set to do some of my farkling and hopefully expose any weak areas. So far, so good.

Now, on to the questions:

• What tools do you carry?
  • What tools would you add to my list as necessary?
  • What tools would you add to my list as "not necessary, but really convenient?"

Edit--Based on JamesW's advice from a following post here are two more questions:

• Would you keep spare fastners on the bike?
  • If so, what specifically would you carry?

Last edited by a moderator:
As you work on your bike you might take note of the most commonly dealt with push-pins and other fasteners and have a few spares for the inevitable ooops. Also when it comes to duct tape get the good stuff and consider winding about a yard of the tape around a short dowel rod or pencils for easy packing.

I wrap electricians tape around the wrench handles and carry extra zipties. Tire pressure guage and a mini flashlight are also good to have onboard.

I wrap electricians tape around the wrench handles and carry extra zipties. Tire pressure guage and a mini flashlight are also good to have onboard.
DOH! I forgot that I have a pressure guage and small light as well. My light is actually a bycicle headland designed to clamp onto bars, so I can clamp it to a number of surfaces for working.

So my actual tool list is:

• Driver (ratchet style)
  • Sockets -- 4mm to 11mm
  • Bits--Common flat-head, Phillips, Allen, and TORX sizes
  • Folding Allen set
  • 90 degree vavle stem adapter (I should remove this item, as there is PLENTY of room to get to the valve stem on the rear tire)
  • Tire (tyre) patch kit
  • Pressure guage
  • Small flashlight
As far as the electrical tape on the wrench handles, that is an excellent idea. I would have never thought of that.

also avoid adjustable jaw wrenches and 12 pt sockets like the plague.
Twelve point sockets are da debil!

Adjustable jaw wrenchs have their place in life, but I wouldn't consider one for the under-seat tool kit.

However, speaking of adjustable things, maybe a set of locking pliers (Vise-GripTM being one brand) have a place in the under-seat tool kit.

I purchased a CRUZ tools kit, then every time I would do standard maintenance I would try to do it with the kit. If I needed an additional tool it would be added.

Mini compressor (I use a SLIME), tire repair kit and now axel tools. Flashlight, zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, spare fuzes...

... and a cell phone with a charger.

Windscreen fasteners !

I also always try to carry 1" wide cargo strapping.

Include any tool you would use for _routine_ maintenance.

You'll want to be able to romove or service a brake caliper or oil drain plug.

Additionally, you should be able to address the three most common

causes of trip interruption. Namely: a flat tire, dead battery or out of gas.

For these I carry a plug kit and compressor, ( already covered, I see )

jumper cables and a siphon hose.

And while it is reassuring to have these on board, I most often bring these

out to lend assistance to others.

Look at the tools that came with the bike and replace any open end wrenches with quality combination wenches in that size. I'd also carry a 3/8" ratchet with wobble extension and 6 point sockets in the same sizes as the factory open end wrenches. I'd drop the folding allen wrench set and carry individual ball-end allen wrenches in the sizes that came with the bike. I also carry 3/8" allen sockets in the common sizes used.

Tire patch kit and pump

Tire pressure gauge

Zip ties - assorted sizes

Duct Tape

Bits of wire

Pocket knife

Hex keys to fit the screws for the bodywork

Quart of oil - Started carrying this recently since my FJR uses a pint once in a while

I used to carry a ton of tools...that weighed me down and NEVER got used. Now I carry a tire gauge, 12v inflator, tire plug kit, jumper cables and the OEM tools. Credit card and cell phone really goes without saying. I'm not an IBR guy, so if I need an oil change away from home, I'll find a dealer.

I do all my own maintenance at home and plan for my trips. Anything that is close to being due, gets done before I leave which means I have 5000 miles before any routine maintenance needs to be done anyway (tires, oil, etc).

Also, if anything weird breaks, there's an assistance list on this forum with lots of folks willing to help out a member in need.

Maybe a good question would be - "Who has had to fix their bike on the road and what tools did you need?"

Lauren, that rule about everything having to fit under the seat might be a bit limiting. I have a little black leather diddy bag that's 10"x7"x5". It fits perfectly in the flat portion at the bottom of the side bag and doesn't go past the black portion. I hold it in place with a small thin bungee that's attached to the attach points for the lower set of the OEM luggage straps.

You can fit everything you need and then some in it and it'll only be half full. I too have the mini compressor from aerostitch but, I also carry about a half dozen CO2 cartridges. In a pinch, they are a quick life saver.

Obtw, carrying a set of handle bar tie down straps is a must. It folds into nothing. In the event that you have to call AAA it will save you some serious $$$ because the AAA boys don't carry one and they have to attach their straps to anything they can. On our bikes, the plastic is Always in the way. Just some friendly advise from experience. Have fun with building your tool set! :)

I always stash a little cash somewhere on the bike. (Stash a little Canadian when I head north also) Just in case I lose my wallet or cards won't work.
This ^^^^ I keep enough to allow plenty of range to get to cash...

For tools, there's a great thread started by Riona. I'll see if I can find it...

--G

Here you go...directly from the PNWet! I went to the Redwoods...