Pilot Road 4's are here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
Enjoy

1387241094_zps356ff942.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Superior wet-weather performance

• Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires stop shorter in the wet vs. the leading competitive sport touring tires and Michelin Pilot Road 3
Longest tread life in its class

• Up to 20% longer tread life than Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires
Dependable grip even in challenging conditions

• 2 Compound Technology with all new silica-charged rubber compounds for excellent grip from 23°F to 113°F
  • New XST+ siping and enhanced tread patterns for optimum grip at all lean angles
Three separate versions available

• Pilot Road 4 for all-around sport touring use
  • Pilot Road 4 GT has a stiffer casing with a patented new technology for motorcycle tires that delivers the stability you need for heavier GT-class bikes while riding solo, two-up or with luggage, and the comfort you desire
  • Pilot Road 4 Trail for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JamesK" data-cid="1113133" data-time="1387243188"><p>

I hope Michelin did some tweaking with the compound, because visually these PR4s look exactly like the crappy PR3s did, which resulted in bad and faster wear on the FJR compared to the trusty PR2s.</p></blockquote>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JamesK" data-cid="1113133" data-time="1387243188"><p>

I hope Michelin did some tweaking with the compound, because visually these PR4s look exactly like the crappy PR3s did, which resulted in bad and faster wear on the FJR compared to the trusty PR2s.</p></blockquote>

I only have 12,500 milies on mine. What you talkin bout Willis?

What did the set run you shipped... or more accurately, what did you pay for each tire? Need to order new rubber this winter and was going to just slap another set of PR2s on. But.... Maybe PR4s? ;)

I will need new hoops before spring. I tried a couple of sets of PR3s and did not like them as much as PR2s so I switched back last year. I am interested in how the PR4s compare both in how they behave on various road conditions and how long they last.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JamesK" data-cid="1113133" data-time="1387243188"><p>I hope Michelin did some tweaking with the compound, because visually these PR4s look exactly like the crappy PR3s did, which resulted in bad and faster wear on the FJR compared to the trusty PR2s.</p></blockquote>

Well, given the type of roads I like to ride and how I like to ride them (haulin' ass in the twisties) I typically get around 4,200-4,500 miles out of a set of PR2s. The one set of PR3s I tried (with the same riding conditions and style) only lasted around 3,600 miles and the front was horrible, actually down right dangerous for the last 800 miles of that. It had worn in the very trapezoidal manner on the sides (like the front in Road Smarts would) and the bike felt like it was going to washout the front on most turns. Also, the micro slits in the front gave a terrible feeling in most high-speed sweepers because these slits would compress and uncompress making the front feel unsettled rather than just track smoothly through the turn like normal tires.

The rear PR3 showed bad wear on the sides as well (compared to RS or PR2), as again the micro slits effectively seemed to weaken the rubber, resulting more wear.

I did NOT find any improvements in the wet over say PR2s, Z8, RS or other tires I've tried.

If your riding involves primarily slabbing at 70-80 MPH and shifting at 3k RPM maybe they would be ok
rolleyes.gif

I do have to slab it more that I would like to. I ride all over the NW for work. I simply can't believe how many miles I have on the tires. Yeah, I ride the twisties as well. It's very easy to sit behind a computer and tell everyone how aggressive you ride and how fast you are. I ride with a group of people with my same ability. If you want to go and ride with us feel free. We will usually wait up for stragglers during lunch.

Gauntlet tossed!

Then again, a continent to be crossed...

I'm still on 2's.

.,,and am thinking there must be a reason for the short-lived 3 series..

I hope Michelin did some tweaking with the compound, because visually these PR4s look exactly like the crappy PR3s did, which resulted in bad and faster wear on the FJR compared to the trusty PR2s.
not my experience at all. Just replaced my 1st set or PR3 on my FJR...at just over 14K miles....that's a new record for me. the PR2s usually went at about 12K.

I'll wait for the reports to come in...
coolsmiley02.gif

--G
Same here, not going to be rushing off to by some inferior "new" version until enough feedback is available.

Would love to try the new Angel GTs but they are soooo damn pricey in Japan vs. what I can get the PR2s for online (around $300 delivered).

Dayum...Anyone that's ridden with James would know they'd never have to wait for him...Ever. He is very smooth and very fast.

I saw the pics he posted of his shredded PR3s.I almost didn't buy a set just because of those, but knew James rides harder than I do. So I picked up a set hoping for 10k. At 7500, over a thousand miles from home they were done. They looked just fine before I left home and then took a dump.

I got the same mileage out of them that I got out of my RoadSmarts and paid $20 more. Screw that. Honestly, if in had been home, I woulda run them to the cords, but that was maybe 500 miles away. I wasn't the only one PR3s failed that week.

I won't be going back until I know these are better.

I hope Michelin did some tweaking with the compound, because visually these PR4s look exactly like the crappy PR3s did, which resulted in bad and faster wear on the FJR compared to the trusty PR2s.

PR3s

PR4s

Yep, your right, they look exactly alike.
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Dependable grip even in challenging conditions

• 2 Compound Technology with all new silica-charged rubber compounds for excellent grip from 23°F to 113°F

So what happens when it's over 113 degrees F here in Arizona? Do the tires melt?

Bet them there will be some pricey bastards. And here we go again with the whole 'stiffer version' debate!