GSXR-1300 teardown

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kballowe

Reaction score
ClutchBasket_zps03922519.jpg

ShiftArea_zps5c4b4b13.jpg

splitcase_zps922c87a1.jpg

2007 Hayabusa w/40K+ miles. 1st gear popping in and out. Inspection showed shifter forks bent with substantial wear. Duh.

1st gear had light to medium rounding of the dogs. Everything else measured OK.

Daily commuter (12 miles one way) and ridden when temps are above freezing.

Mostly short to medium trips. Owner not too crazy, but does ride "spirited" now and then. No track time.

Rotella 15W-40, changed at 3K intervals with oil filter changed every 6K miles. I post these pictures because I was a bit surprised that the innards are so clean.

Bike is back together and functioning well.

Not my bike. Just helping out a friend.

He bought the bike with 6K miles on it and it had the problem when he bought it. Although, not nearly as pronounced. Maybe the previous owner was a foot stomper, or the bike may have been in an accident.

This is not my usual occupation. But what the heck, it's winter. A fella has to have a hobby. We're fortunate to have a walk-out basement and a large workbench.

exhappysmiley.png

bike_w_motor_zpse4b39265.jpg

Here's the motor, all cleaned up and reassembled and ready to go back into the bike

finished_motor_zps1be01067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lessee... a couple changes, a little electrical wizardry, some time in the machine shop and this could be melded into an FJR. What a ride THAT would be.

Gary

darksider #44

I was very surprised to find that Hayabusa parts are very, very abundant. This job was supposed to "last" for a while. (sigh)

Oh well. Maybe I'll scan Craigslist for another old Moto Guzzi. THAT should keep me busy for a while..... just waiting for the parts...

blinksmiley.gif

Tisk Tisk .. GSX1300R

Mine has 70k + miles on it now without a problem. Great bike. Oh, yeah, and fast too :)

I'm betting that it's an air injection system. I'm wondering if the manufacturer would route oil lines that close to exhaust pipes.

GARY

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
First owner hammered that bike - not uncommon for this on these bikes when used hard.

And yes - Busa parts are like small block Chevy parts as they're all over the place.

IIRC, I believe the old '80s era GS1100 motors were in fact penned the "bullet motor".

To the OP - that motor looks factory in its re-assembled form. You sir are quite the mechanic. I, on the other hand, am just a humble parts changer (and an average one at that).