My 3D printed helmet lock solution

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhendron

Reaction score
I have a 3D printer and I've created various bits and pieces on it. This was what I did over the weekend. (forgive the messy work bench
mda.gif

I purchased two of these locks on ebay and they arrived last week:

_57_zpsdc5b8fd3.gif

I disassembled the cylinders and rearranged the tumblers so they would both work with the FJR ignition key:

91355cff-3edb-42db-97bc-15f193eda42a_zps6eaf1c6e.jpg

I designed this mounting block and 3D printed two of them:

photo2_zps0d71b3f0.jpg

dc7bc602-921a-4121-96d6-2a35c2d1366b_zpscf15e3d5.jpg

I inserted a nut into the hexagonal hole, this will be on the “backside” when mounted to the bike and the

screw that secures the lock will got through the hole on the other side and thread into this nut.

ca60d3c3-ef1e-4b13-afdd-d2d56a373152_zps82a4ca2f.jpg

Here is one mounted with the nut side down (first hole on the left):

phcoto1_zpse4c95c1b.jpg

I then drilled a hole through the mount, a carriage bolt will be inserted from the other side (the carriage bolt head will be exposed, but there is no way to get a tool on it to remove it.

pchoto2_zpsd43142cf.jpg

Carriage bolt installed:

pchoto3_zpsce4cf273.jpg

phcoto4_zpsbcfa3f5a.jpg

The cut-out recess around the bolt is to allow access for a 10mm socket to secure the block to the rack:

photoa1_zpsc2544ae5.jpg

Nut installed; this will be under the lock, so there is no access to it:

phoato2_zpsf05700ab.jpg

Lock secured via the screw and there is no access to the screw when the lock is closed:

photao3_zpsc975dd88.jpg

There’s one.

aphoto4_zps3d7d17b9.jpg

I repeated the whole thing on the other side and remounted the plate:

photeo1_zps454061fc.jpg

Voila:

pheoto2_zpsb3055240.jpg

Curious about a couple things. You said, "I've got a 3 D printer." I'm thinking you have access to one at the shop? Or do you own it? Which brings up my next question, how much are those rascals? When I first heard about them years ago, they cost a fortune.

Next: what material did you print it with? What's it made out of? How strong is it? How much does it cost to make something like this once you have the printer all ready?

I spent some time in tool and die shops doing support work for both wire and "sinker" EDM machines. These printers were the next big thing back then, but I've not heard much about them since... I retired from tool and die shops due to the volatility of manufacturing in Florida. I grew tired of dealing with reduced hours and being laid off and decided to jump to a different field.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job! Good fab. project.

Or you can buy one of these for $20 on Amazon and simply clip it to your grab rails with zero fabrication as a second option.

Or you can buy one of these for $20 on Amazon and simply clip it to your grab rails with zero fabrication as a second option.

If I were to loose my glasses (or someone were to run over them in FJRed's driveway) I would never be able to get my helmet unhooked without the help of someone younger 'n me
laugh.png

Nice work with the printer. I have enjoyed seeing some of the Epic Fail printer outputs, it is evident that some skills are required for a good outcome.

Curious about a couple things. You said, "I've got a 3 D printer." I'm thinking you have access to one at the shop? Or do you own it? Which brings up my next question, how much are those rascals? When I first heard about them years ago, they cost a fortune.Next: what material did you print it with? What's it made out of? How strong is it? How much does it cost to make something like this once you have the printer all ready?

I spent some time in tool and die shops doing support work for both wire and "sinker" EDM machines. These printers were the next big thing back then, but I've not heard much about them since.

Gary

I own a 3D printer; they can be expensive, I think mine was $1500. The material is ABS plastic and it's quite strong! Those parts are probably less than 10 cents in materials.

Thanks! I think. I'm on and off my bike frequently, doing the combination thing would be... Blah. Plus, where do you keep that thing(s)? Leave it clipped on to move around and scratch things up? Your jacket pocket (don't forget it...). These are one key, always on the bike, and super simple. Mostly, I just had fun making them.
smile.png

Nicely done!
How much were the locks on ebay?
Thanks! I got a pair for just under $44 shipped.

Oh I forgot to mention: I notice yer kinda new around here, welcome aboard. Looking forward to hearing more of your new ideas. Who knows, maybe some of the fellers might wanna buy some of these from you???

Gary

Thanks! I think. I'm on and off my bike frequently, doing the combination thing would be... Blah. Plus, where do you keep that thing(s)? Leave it clipped on to move around and scratch things up? Your jacket pocket (don't forget it...). These are one key, always on the bike, and super simple. Mostly, I just had fun making them.
smile.png

Oh I know. Which is why I said great fab job. Looks like a fun project.

I just posted those locks for other members benefit since we're all don't have 3D printers. I just keep them in my glove compartment.

The only issue with the 3 D printed lock is if helmets are locked and it rains. I guess you can use them as a way to store rain water for drinking later??

Did something similar a while back with some sheet steel and a couple of Helmet Guardian locks. Worked so well did the same on my other bikes.

IMG_0001-1.JPG

IMG_0001-1%2520%25281%2529.JPG

IMG_0001-1%2520%25282%2529.JPG

If I were to loose my glasses...
There you go loosing things again.

(or someone were to run over them in FJRed's driveway) I would never be able to get my helmet unhooked without the help of someone younger 'n me
laugh.png
Yeah, OK... that "someone" would be me. But I have all kinds of legitimate 'scuses:

That was at a NERDS tech day and I was moving FJRed's truck so your SO could drive it to the big hoopty.

I didn't drop your reading glasses in their gravel driveway.

I think I may have had a beer (as that is most often the case).

The sun was in my eyes.

Yeah, yeah... that's the ticket.

Oh, and need I mention? I am younger than you (but still wouldn't be able to see those numbers without my drugstore cheaters.)