New Bluetooth 2 way FMRS radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
I've been following with interest the announcement of Motorola's MU350r, a 2 way FMRS radio that offers wireless Bluetooth connection to a compatible headset, and also offers NOAA weather channel access, all for around $110 street price a pair. I'm migrating from my current Starcom system, which supports plug in cables to add FMRS radios, to a J&M system which used to support FMRS but no longer does for new models. Instead, J&M offers a Bluetooth hub, but no way to connect the adaptor for a cabled FMRS radio.

FMRS is quite handy when your riding pals don't have CB radio, and you're not running a Sena or similar wireless system. The Motorola, if compatible, would allow a wireless connection to the J&M Bluetooth dongle, and either work with their existing wired or new wireless headsets. Motorola also offers a wiresless push to talk button that can be remotely mounted, and would be a cool way to integrate wireless FMRS for a reasonable price. Since they are sold in pairs, it would also be cool if one of them could pair with a Sena headset, which would allow you to finally integrate with your buddies who use different com systems. Even the Starcom has a bluetooth module.

I'm tempted to try one of these with the J&M but no idea if they are compatible. The folks at J&M say if the radio can support a pairing protocol (e.g. pair both devices and enter a pairing code to pair), it should work. The manual for the Motorola doesn't appear to require the user to enter a pairing code, and the J&M rep didn't know if they worked.

Anyone here have experience with them? The Amazon sites says they may not ship until April, so it may be premature.

MU350_LG.jpg
1693_Wireless_PTT_Button_LG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I never heard of this before, but it is timely because I am in the process of selecting a bluetooth hub and headset. Senna offers a hub that supports FRS/GMRS radios, but it is not stereo and costs about $150. For about $50 less I can can get a stereo hub, but no two-way radio support. So, if these things work as advertised they may be the way to use the stereo Sena hub and still have the two-way radios. I'll be watching this space.

I've been watching this as well and the radios were originally announced to release July of last year. They're way late and hopefully it means they're squashing bugs. Version 1 bluetooth devices tend to by sketchy but there's nothing they're doing that shouldn't pair with other bluetooth headsets or hubs.

I've owned the standard Motorola FRS/GMRS 350R radio for a number of years and it's a very good radio.

I've found J&M's customer service very helpful. You might try giving them a call or sending them an email. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks for posting, and I'm glad I procrastinated on getting radios..... BTW, someone could split a set of two if you want.... My other concern is how bluetooth will tend to eat up batteries...... wonder if there's a way to plug in an external charge source.... 'spoze one could carry spare batteries........ anyway, it has promise....

Edit added - Several available on ebay for $100+. Spare batteries, careful some are Ni-Cd or NiMH.... USB charging port (kewl). I'm not in a big hurry, but if you want to split a set, and get the BT PTT, PM me.

I never heard of this before, but it is timely because I am in the process of selecting a bluetooth hub and headset. Senna offers a hub that supports FRS/GMRS radios, but it is not stereo and costs about $150. For about $50 less I can can get a stereo hub, but no two-way radio support. So, if these things work as advertised they may be the way to use the stereo Sena hub and still have the two-way radios. I'll be watching this space.
I have the Sena SMH10 for Spankyt and I. I have looked at the hub they offer for GMRS and it is pricey. Just don't understand why you would need stereo for radio communication.

I have the Sena SMH10 for Spankyt and I. I have looked at the hub they offer for GMRS and it is pricey. Just don't understand why you would need stereo for radio communication.
You are right. I would not need stereo for the two-way, but it would be nice for music and I want it all.

Not only do I want it all, I want it to be inexpensive...
greedy.gif

The advantage of listening to music while you ride, aside from the pleasure derived from the music, is that it keeps the BT connection open so there is no delay when that radar detector goes off, and you won't miss the first few words when someone tries to talk to you on the radio.

Actually, I'm still on the fence about needing stereo, but I like to have as much information as possible before I decide what to buy.

Stereo is great if you have earbuds that block out all extraneous noises or bike noises.... better in your living room. I like a balanced noise that lets me hear some noises of the outside world and how my bike is running, so while stereo on a bike might be nice, it sounds just fine in mono (which is all my Zumo 550 puts out on BT)........ All your old Beatle music was mono...... BT is always open, perhaps you are referring to VOX or the fact that com channels time out after a few seconds to preserve headset battery power... this will likely be a function of the headset (which might be user-defineable).

Stereo is great if you have earbuds that block out all extraneous noises or bike noises.... better in your living room. I like a balanced noise that lets me hear some noises of the outside world and how my bike is running, so while stereo on a bike might be nice, it sounds just fine in mono (which is all my Zumo 550 puts out on BT)........ All your old Beatle music was mono...... BT is always open, perhaps you are referring to VOX or the fact that com channels time out after a few seconds to preserve headset battery power... this will likely be a function of the headset (which might be user-defineable).
Thanks Ray. Yes, I was thinking about the timeout on channels of the Sena headset to save batteries. I will have to research whether or not there is a setting for that.

You are right. I would not need stereo for the two-way, but it would be nice for music and I want it all.

greedy.gif

The advantage of listening to music while you ride, aside from the pleasure derived from the music, is that it keeps the BT connection open so there is no delay when that radar detector goes off, and you won't miss the first few words when someone tries to talk to you on the radio.

Actually, I'm still on the fence about needing stereo, but I like to have as much information as possible before I decide what to buy.
Well, I think the FRS/GMRS hub for Sena is just for the two-way connection. If you want music I think you have to connect somehow else. The Sena can connect to a stereo Bluetooth source or can hardwire connect to an IPod or MP3. The signal from my GPS is instantaneous when the headset is in standby. The single Sena SMH10's aren't too bad. I think like $160 on Amazon. That 2-way hub is another $150, though. Hoping I can find one on sale at the motorcycle show this weekend.

greedy.gif

Well, I think the FRS/GMRS hub for Sena is just for the two-way connection. If you want music I think you have to connect somehow else. The Sena can connect to a stereo Bluetooth source or can hardwire connect to an IPod or MP3. The signal from my GPS is instantaneous when the headset is in standby. The single Sena SMH10's aren't too bad. I think like $160 on Amazon. That 2-way hub is another $150, though. Hoping I can find one on sale at the motorcycle show this weekend.

Sena sells two different hubs. The SR10 supports two-way radio costs about $150 and is not stereo. The SM10 is stereo, but does not support two-way radio and it sells for abou $110. Either one will accept hardwired devices, like a GPS and radar detector and send that to a bluetooth headset.

I am currently pricing out the SR10 and the SMH10-11 headset. The SR10 will accept my two-way radio, GPS, and radar detector; and the SMH10-11 will allow me to communicate with other Sena users. The headset also has a jack for a hardwired MP3 player if I want music. And both the hubs and the headset will pair with a phone if I want to use one, so there are plenty of options there.

The only drawback I see with the Sena devices is that they have rechargeable batteries which are not replaceable, so at some point after the batteries get old and won't take a charge the devices will have to be replaced.

And, sorry for the hijack on the MU350r thread.

Good read here. I am learning stuff. Though still confused on a lot of it. When Sena comes out with their new 20S headset I will buy one, and then the learning will begin in earnest.

Thanks for the snap back to the original post Greg. The MU350r is a cheaper alternative to the SR10. I suppose I should consider that too. We shall see. As for the rechargeable batteries, I just replaced my Scala Rider Teamset at the end of last year with the Sena. I had the Scala for 4 years and used it almost every time I rode. It would still give me, at least, all day use. Sometimes I forgot to charge it and still got another full day of riding out of it.

So webbikeworld has finally reviewed these radios and the verdict is not what I was hoping. seems like you need a Bluetooth PTT accessory that is not currently available, and there is synching issues with certain headsets.

Hope they work out the bugs.