Florida Desired Destinations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Most of my riding has been outside the Florida borders. My Florida riding has been very limited and I would like to change that.

We have had great participation in our previous 3 events and now I am wondering if we should plan a ride? If so, where should

it be to?

I would be slow to call it a "Group Ride" since all of us come from different directions, but we have done a good job planning meet ups

and arriving there as we individually desire to ride.

So Where would you like to ride to?

Here are some resources:

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Florida Motorcycle Travel Destinations

Florida Motorcycle Rides - Motorcycle USA

Motorcycle Florida

Florida Motorcycle Roads & Rides - Best Florida motorcycle routes for planning great Florida motorcycle trips | Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

Florida Motorcycle Rides | Florida Motorcycle Roads and Tours

Some rides could mean an overnight stay for some.

Key West would be one of my picks along with this:

Carrabelle FL - Official Website - Smallest Police Station

Everyone could plan to ride TO the destination, have a PHOTO shot, and meet at some place nearby to eat.

Post up !

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, sounds like a great idea! Count me in, as long as we can get a good heads up on when it is.

Where doesn't really matter.....to me.

I like Key West and go there somewhat often, altho only made it once last year. Overnight is a must when there IMO as I enjoy heading to Duval St and thereabouts for something to eat & drink.

Where else? There's lots of places in Florida that I haven't been - not necessarily that I'd want to overnight, but maybe. So, in no particular order -

Flamingo

Coral Castle

Captiva Island, Sanibel, Pine Island and area (unsure what all is there)

Apalachicola coastline

Everyone could plan to ride TO the destination, have a PHOTO shot, and meet at some place nearby to eat.
I'm a member of the Two Wheeled Texans and we do just this. Every month we have our monthly "Pie Run." Destinations are scheduled at the beginning of the year with the following requirements:

1. Must be outside of the big cities

2. Must be able to accommodate the numbers we have show up for the events (usually about 80 when the weather is prime)

3. Must have an excellent assortment of pie.

Then folks either go it alone, or form up groups from the various metro areas and ride together, have a great lunch followed by pie with a good group of folks, and then turn around and ride home.

It's actually grown now over the years and there is a group that will ride in on Friday to a local campground, spend the night, then ride around the general area to ultimately find their way to the lunch spot. Many will camp the whole weekend. A lot of these guys are dual sport riders so they go seeking local dirty roads.

Anyway, it's a good blueprint for what you seem to be discussing, although a big group ride is always fun too. I've found a few out of the way restaurants through this that I've really enjoyed that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

I like Key West and go there somewhat often, altho only made it once last year. Overnight is a must when there IMO as I enjoy heading to Duval St and thereabouts for something to eat & drink.
Where else? There's lots of places in Florida that I haven't been - not necessarily that I'd want to overnight, but maybe. So, in no particular order -

Flamingo

Coral Castle

Captiva Island, Sanibel, Pine Island and area (unsure what all is there)

Apalachicola coastline
Jim, I've been to Key West about a dozen times. Loved every one of them. But, it's always been taking visiting family and friends in a cage. I've always wanted to go on my bike. Count me in on that one. We can all meet at my house and take off from there. Just don't pull a "Tony" on me and want to take off at 4am. That's just Crazy talk!! Lmao

Sanibel/Captiva islands are gorgeous. In town, (Fort Myers) there are the summer mansions of Henry Ford & Thomas Edison next door to each other. They are open to the public. Henry Ford's personal cars are still there on display. Thomas Edison has his workshop on display. It still has everything in it that he was working on when he Passed away. You of all people would love his shop. It's a tad bit smaller than yours!! :))

Everglade City! Stopped there for an overnight a few years back. The restaurant which I think was the only one? was awesome! The salad bar was unbelievable, the staff and food were excellent! Of course I can't join you from where I live but! I envy your ability to discuss riding!

I feel, if we treat this as a place to meet, and not a place to look for interesting roads, it will open up much more possibilities. FLA isn't know for it's exhilarating roads, but there are 1,000s of interesting places! The Keys and the Panhandle or probably overnighters for most of us, but Miami to Tallahassee could be done in a day, though it might require hitting the road before the sun comes up (Vic).

Either way, I'm game for more road trips to meet my new friends and to make more.

The reason I posted both roads and destinations is so a rider could select a nice route to the destinations.

Key West has been mentioned much, and I would love to try a new route down there. The route I have in mind would allow me to meet up with western Florida riders..

Key West should also be done in the cooler months before the colleges release the animals.

And Vic...

Nothing beats the 7 mile bridge at sunrise!

The large fish is lit up in the dark also.

Key West can be expensive to stay also. I am retired Navy, so stay on the base/Trumbo, but that's not an option for most of you. Tony is right about the 7 mile bridge @ sunrise; what a sight!

I'm in to wherever, just keep me out of the big cities. I'm sure there are lots of unique places to go in Florida; I could use some local state knowledge for sure.

Key West has been mentioned much, and I would love to try a new route down there. The route I have in mind would allow me to meet up with western Florida riders..
Last time I checked, there was a dry route and a wet route. You opting for the wet one this time?
biggrin.png

Last time I checked, there was a dry route and a wet route. You opting for the wet one this time?
biggrin.png
A common farkle in Florida turns the Givi into a hull and while most use air induction block off plates, we use a special converter that basically allows water induction,

which in turn, converts into a jet propulsion … turning our FJRs into wave runners.

AND YES, sooner or later you end up on US 1 south to Key West. The route in question is HOW you get to US 1.

FLISLlobster_clevernamehere.jpg
FLJACgator_scott1.jpg
FLKEYsouthpt_price.jpg
FLMARangelfish_phester.jpg

Just some Key West Photo Opps.

Dang, your pics aren't showing.

1300cc wave runner you say? THAT's gotta be fun!
biggrin.png

I figured out what you meant, but it sure did sound strange the way you worded it.
biggrin.png

I'm a member of the Two Wheeled Texans and we do just this. Every month we have our monthly "Pie Run." Destinations are scheduled at the beginning of the year with the following requirements:

1. Must be outside of the big cities

2. Must be able to accommodate the numbers we have show up for the events (usually about 80 when the weather is prime)

3. Must have an excellent assortment of pie.

Then folks either go it alone, or form up groups from the various metro areas and ride together, have a great lunch followed by pie with a good group of folks, and then turn around and ride home.

It's actually grown now over the years and there is a group that will ride in on Friday to a local campground, spend the night, then ride around the general area to ultimately find their way to the lunch spot. Many will camp the whole weekend. A lot of these guys are dual sport riders so they go seeking local dirty roads.

Anyway, it's a good blueprint for what you seem to be discussing, although a big group ride is always fun too. I've found a few out of the way restaurants through this that I've really enjoyed that I wouldn't have found otherwise.
Jason, yer doggone brilliant. What a concept. However, I'm thinking more like a Chili run. After eating that amazing Chili that Pat and Jim whipped up last Saturday, I'm itchin' for some more. I could eat like 5 bowls of that stuff. And I'll drive ANYWHERE to get it. I'd like to put in a vote for Skyline Chili in Clearwater. Oh yeah !!! Any takers for February?

Gary

darksider #44

... and proud owner of one sweet NEW Michelin PR2.

Dang, you guys gotta read. This is the second time I've been called brilliant for passing something like that along. I didn't come up with it, I just participate and pass it along. You guys are giving me WAY more credit than my smarts are capable of. I'm actually quite far from brilliant and I really thought that was obvious. I mean, who breaks their bike a week after getting it fixed?
biggrin.png

The process does work well here. Texas is big, but the major cities are all just far enough apart to lend toward a good days ride to go somewhere for a meet up. I see Florida in the same manner.

Howie, Walts, or Vics joint would work for me..

I just wanna take a dump in their driveways and pee on their outhouse floors.