Fun Routes to NAFO 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
There's always a lot of angst about crossing the plains states so here are some options.

Google Map https://goo.gl/maps/KMRnD

Highlights;

Scottsbluff Nat. Monument, geography you won't believe is in Nebraska.

Alliance NE, Swing north on Hwy 87 and check out Carhenge.

The Sand Hills of NE, follow NE-27 north from NE-2 and enjoy the rolling grasslands of the Sand Hills.

US-20 and NE-12 across Northern NE, a pleasant route with some rolling hills and small towns along the way.

Niobrara NE State Park, take a ride high up on the hill and check out the views of the convergence of the Niobrara and Missouri Rivers.

Niobrara NE, stop at the Two Rivers Saloon for an elk burger just a block south of NE-12 in town.

Yankton SD, cross the Missouri River on the double decker bridge.

Le Mars IA, the ice cream capital of the world I suppose you could get ice cream there.

Follow US-18 across NW IA, small towns and farms make this better than the interstate.

Clear Lake IA, check out the Surf Ballroom where Buddy Holly played his last gig the head north from town and stop at the crash site memorial The Day the Music Died.

MN-16, through the Root River Valley to La Crosse.

Check closer but I believe that the double decker at yankton is now a walking bridge only. The new crossing is west of the double decker.
Dang, you're right there's a new bridge. Well you can go to Yankton and walk across the double decker bridge. Heck you might be able to sneak your FJR across the old bridge
cool.png

First phase of the twisted route through Colorado. Not only is it curvy but the vistas are spectacular.

Start Durango Co, take 550 north over Red Mt. Pass to Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, Montrose. At Montrose take 50 East to hw 92 and Blue Mesa Dam. Take a break as the road North is one of the best. Take 92 to Hotchkiss or Paonia and then take 133 to Carbondale. From Carbondale take 82 to Basalt and Aspen. Take a break in Aspen maybe over night as the Scenery is fantastic and I don't mean the trees and rocks. This gets you about half way through Colorado and I will have the rest of the route shortly.

If you are in a hurry just get on I-70 at Grand Junction and open up the throttle you will be through the state in no time but you will miss a lot..

First phase of the twisted route through Colorado. Not only is it curvy but the vistas are spectacular.
Start Durango Co, take 550 north over Red Mt. Pass to Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, Montrose. At Montrose take 50 East to hw 92 and Blue Mesa Dam. Take a break as the road North is one of the best. Take 92 to Hotchkiss or Paonia and then take 133 to Carbondale. From Carbondale take 82 to Basalt and Aspen. Take a break in Aspen maybe over night as the Scenery is fantastic and I don't mean the trees and rocks. This gets you about half way through Colorado and I will have the rest of the route shortly.

If you are in a hurry just get on I-70 at Grand Junction and open up the throttle you will be through the state in no time but you will miss a lot..
Like this Google Map

You're right about I-70 but as far as Super-Slabs go it's a pretty nice ride. Too many good roads all over CO to not not jump off and enjoy one or two.

You might check out old CFO threads and CFO website info for riding routes...this may give you some enjoyable route ideas as you get closer to La Crosse and NAFO Central.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the remainder of the Mountain route through Colorado: At aspen continue on 82 East to Leadville, 24 to I-70, short ride on the slab to Empire, @Empire take 40 to Grandby, Grand Lake, rocky Mt. National Park, Estes Park then 34 to Loveland where you pick up I-25 for a short ride North to pick up Rick Corwine's route through Nebraska or go farther North to the Black Hills.

As an alternative you could take 91 from Leadville to I-70, short ride to Silverthorn, 9 to Kremling, 40 to 14, long ride on 14 to Ft Colins, I-25 and then North.

There are many other Routes and I suggest you get a "Butler Motorcycle map" (www.butlermaps.com) if you plan to spend much time in Colorado. There are so many other routes you could take and side trips to enjoy.
smile.png

Come North on US 85 to through the Black Hills and then take US 14 or US 12 or US 212 East through the Corn to Minneapolis and on to La Crosse.

I'll be coming out from the east coast and will be picking up RT50 in WV to St Louis and then heading up 61 to LaCrosse. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you want to stay off the Interstates.
From St. Louis take MO-79 north along the river.
From Hannibal take US-61 north to the Quad Cities and jump across the River to IL-84 and follow that along the river.
When you get to US-20 turn left and take that to IL 84 and go north which will become WI-80 when you cross the border.
At Platteville switch to WI-81 and take that to US-61. north to WI-129 which will bypass Lancaster and put you back on US-61.
Continue to US-14 which will take you to LaCrosse.

From Hannibal take US-61 north to the Quad Cities and jump across the River to IL-84 and follow that along the river.
When you get to US-20 turn left and take that to IL 84 and go north which will become WI-80 when you cross the border.
At Platteville switch to WI-81 and take that to US-61. north to WI-129 which will bypass Lancaster and put you back on US-61.
Thanks Tom. I think I will map that in reverse to see what it looks like as St Louis will be our first stop on the way to EOM from NAFO.

Thanks, will take a look at that. George

Sounds like some people will be coming up and over Lake Michigan through the YooPee here's some tips and highlights;

From East to West;
The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point just North of Paradise, no really.

Grand Maris and the Dunes Saloon home of Lake Superior Brewing Co. At the Northern end of Hwy 77.

Grand Maris is also the Eastern end of Pictured Rocks National Shoreline. Hwy 58 is paved all the way through the park now so access to the Log Slide Overlook is a breeze. From there you can see the Grand Sable Dunes that rise as high as 300 feet from the lake shore.

4934885136_2df35a2501_z.jpg

On the West end there's the Munising Falls and the Miners Castle Overlook. You could spend a week here, I have.

In Escanaba good eats can be found at the Hereford and Hops, steak and beer
good.gif

Farther out of the way but very worth the time if you can squeeze it in is the Keweenaw Peninsula. Here's a prefered route from Houghton north to Copper Harbor and back Google Map and a close look at Brockway Mtn Road.

Houghton has some great places to eat first and for most is The Library Brew Pub. Next is the Ambassador with a great old world bar and decor worth the stop just to see the interior.

Another highlight is the drive along Lake Superior from Ontonagon to the Porcupine Mountain State Park. If you follow Hwy 64 to the western end you'll be at the Lake of the Clouds overlook, costs a couple buck to get in the State park.

Ont_Lake_Clouds.jpg

You can follow the South Boundary Road around the park to the west end and see a series of falls as the Presque Isle River flows into Lake Superior.

Now that should keep you busy for a while
good.gif

An alternative to my suggestions for routing from St. Louis to La Crosse. At Lancaster, WI you can switch get off US-61 and take WI-35 north. It will take you to Prairie Du Chien and then it follows the river all the way to LaCrosse. It's a beautiful, scenic ride but for me it's a done it once is enough. The really fun roads are in the area between US-61 and WI-35 but if you go in there you will never reach LaCrosse. Plenty of time during NAFO to discover this area. I'm going two days early to NAFO just to enjoy the backroads even more and I'm going there for a three day weekend this month and again next month. I would go in October too but then I'm trying the Hooterville run for the first time.

An alternative to my suggestions for routing from St. Louis to La Crosse. At Lancaster, WI you can switch get off US-61 and take WI-35 north. It will take you to Prairie Du Chien and then it follows the river all the way to LaCrosse. It's a beautiful, scenic ride but for me it's a done it once is enough. The really fun roads are in the area between US-61 and WI-35 but if you go in there you will never reach LaCrosse. Plenty of time during NAFO to discover this area. I'm going two days early to NAFO just to enjoy the backroads even more and I'm going there for a three day weekend this month and again next month. I would go in October too but then I'm trying the Hooterville run for the first time.
Thanks...I might consider that for my ride there, or the ride home, or both.

I see there is a lot of NAFO riders coming from the Twin Cities area. Are there any groups forming up for the ride down to La Crosse Thursday?