2014 Team Lyle Silver State Roundup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug5551

Reaction score
FJR Darksider #3 from El Segundo/Sugarloaf, CA
I am pleased to announce the 2014 Team Lyle Silver State Roundup, which will take place May 16 - 18, 2014, starting and ending in Alamo, Nevada.

This is following the successful, record-setting 2013 Team Lyle Nevada Stampede, which produced 1 Saddle Sore 1000, 2 Bun Burner 1500s, 8 Bun Burner Golds, and 5 Bun Burner Gold 1800+ rides (all mileage in Nevada) and the 2012 Team Lyle Alamo Express, which produced 12 certified All Nevada BBGs, one All Nevada Bun Burner 1500, one All Nevada BBG 1800+, as well as a rather unique SS2000 Gold. In addition, the riders have made quite generous donations to Eddie's Road, which have exceeded all expectations.

Once again, we will be allowing the riders to ride the validated 1,524 mile Base Route, a BBG 1800+ route using the Base Route, or to declare their own route, using all or part of the Base Route.

Thanks to Mike Kneebone, whose suggestions have helped make these Team Lyle Alamo rides a better event, and to Lisa Erbes, whose Eddie's Road is making a difference helping troubled teens, some of whom may end up motorcycle riders, or perhaps even LD riders, if history is any indication.

https://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/

https://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/https://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/https://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/
https://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/https://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/https://www.teamlyle-alamoexpress.com/2014/

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Doug Barrett

IBA #456

Rallymaster

Ted Bosch

IBA #48,597

Guest Rallymaster

Brian Casey

IBA #25,366

Routemaster

Matt Watkins

IBA # 332

Biathlon Instructor, Ride/Walk Division

Looking forward to stretching the Busa's legs again this year. Skooter, I'm coming for you! :lol:

Justin, you may have to fight it out with Erik, it's gonna be another fun year no matter what
smile.png
Not with that darkside "wobble" :)

The dates are the 16th - 18th. I didn't see a start time on the registration site, so does that mean a person can start and end anytime in that time frame? If so, when have folks usually begun?

Another question, how difficult is it to try to line up a roomie to share hotel costs?

I'm a thinkin' this would be a great way for me to stretch out the winter stiffness in my LD butt legs.

The dates are the 16th - 18th. I didn't see a start time on the registration site, so does that mean a person can start and end anytime in that time frame? If so, when have folks usually begun?Another question, how difficult is it to try to line up a roomie to share hotel costs?

I'm a thinkin' this would be a great way for me to stretch out the winter stiffness in my LD butt legs.
Last year we started at 5 am. That's not set in stone, that's just when Brian gets to the gas station :) . I didn't leave till about 5:45 myself. Not much of a morning person :lol: . I'm going to get a room down the road - I think Doug said Alamo Inn is booked already.

The dates are the 16th - 18th. I didn't see a start time on the registration site, so does that mean a person can start and end anytime in that time frame? If so, when have folks usually begun?Another question, how difficult is it to try to line up a roomie to share hotel costs?

Last year we started at 5 am. That's not set in stone, that's just when Brian gets to the gas station
smile.png
. I didn't leave till about 5:45 myself. Not much of a morning person
laugh.png
. I'm going to get a room down the road - I think Doug said Alamo Inn is booked already.
There are free-range areas near the starting point, so we generally recommend you start no earlier than 30 minutes or so before sunrise, so you can grab some quick miles at the beginning of the ride when you're at your freshest and most alert. The base route has an early 100 mile run on the Extraterrestrial Highway, and you'll want the sun up for that.

In the past, a lot of riders have been willing/anxious to share their rooms, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. This rally generally sells out The Alamo Inn completely, and half of two others, so there should be some options for you.

There are free-range areas near the starting point, so we generally recommend you start no earlier than 30 minutes or so before sunrise, so you can grab some quick miles at the beginning of the ride when you're at your freshest and most alert. The base route has an early 100 mile run on the Extraterrestrial Highway, and you'll want the sun up for that.
I just got a shiver thinking about that! Heading out with the glow of sun over the horizon to the east, the opening vista as you bank to the right just before Groom Road, the electric sound of an FJR in the cool morning air and full tank of fuel, and cow heads lifting up stirring after you clear Rachel.

Priceless....

Signed up.

6279267.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I dunno about this. Looks like a pretty heavily patrolled road to me. All the roads in NV like this?
Only 375 and 6 have this sort of LEO density and sweeper/corner to mile ratio (about 1:8....I recently counted).

THE Event is quickly approaching, so I was wondering, how/when do we get the routes? Folks usually get them the morning of or the previous evening? Or can we get them to download unto our GPSs early? I'm not too familiar with NV, it's not a backyard I play in often.

THE Event is quickly approaching, so I was wondering, how/when do we get the routes? Folks usually get them the morning of or the previous evening? Or can we get them to download unto our GPSs early? I'm not too familiar with NV, it's not a backyard I play in often.
I think the suggest route is already listed on the website here. It takes just a bit to wade through since some letters are covered up, but translates well to S&T or other program if you look at it a few minutes. Or said another way that gets your points very close to actual; Alamo, Tonopah, Battle Mountain, Wendover, Tonopah, Fallon, Baker, Alamo.

Or you can go with your own route with alamo as start and finish. Just be aware 318 is closed that weekend for the Silver State Classic

Thank you gentlemen. I guess it never occurred to me to use that map as a reference to put into S&T. So for a 1800+ I would just add a little deviation here n there.

I have to admit, during winters here, it's easy to slip into slacker mode.

Thank you gentlemen. I guess it never occurred to me to use that map as a reference to put into S&T. So for a 1800+ I would just add a little deviation here n there.
Yup, you can add another leg or two to the base route, or do your own route.

So for a 1800+ I would just add a little deviation here n there.
IIRC, it was suggested an extra out and back to Tonopah either at the end or beginning of the ride was the suggestion for 1800+. Adds ~320 miles. Suffice it say 375 will be VERY popular first thing in the morning. Heh.