Key West Trip!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
Ok, we need a thread dedicated for this trip, because it's going to be EPIC!

So post up!

I'm in. Narrowing the time frame should proceed post haste! I can accommodate a few riders at my house and we'll take off from there. I'm flexible. :)

I will be desiring to eat seafood. If it swims or crawls it may qualify.
No Problem finding Seafood in Key West, Chuck! The place is Lousy with Seafood. If it were legal, I'd inject shrimp and crab meat in my veins! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, Boys! Let's look at the weekend of April 19th or May 10th. Chime in!

I really like beer and I'd be more than happy to let Steve buy me one! :))

Seafood is indeed abundant in Key West, but also usually at great cost. One of the deals we usually always do is happy hour @ Alonzo's and the Boathouse. 4:30 - 6(?-I think the hrs are right) - 1/2 price appetizers (& some beers) which includes all kinds of things - shrimp, mussels, oysters, and other good stuff.

"Starters" on this menu:

https://www.alonzosoysterbar.com/AlonzosMenu.htm

The Boathouse is similar but I can't find a menu for it. They are a 2 story waterfront place; 1st floor is the Boathouse, and 2nd is the fancier/pricey Commodore. Alonzo's and The Boathouse are adjacent to each other. Here is a Trip Advisor review for the BH:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34345-d2255938-Reviews-The_Boathouse-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

There are many other options to eat, but these are two of my favorites. Another is the Half Shell Raw Bar:

https://www.halfshellrawbar.com/

I don't think the oysters are anywhere near as good as Alonzo's/Boathouse, but for a waterfront place, it's reasonably priced and a fun place to go usually.

Here is a KW guide of sorts to the restaurants:

https://www.keywestmenu.com/menus.htm

And no trip anywhere is complete w/o going to an Irish Pub. Forget Irish Kevin's on Duval; the locals (and wifey & I) go to Finnegan's Wake:

https://www.keywestirish.com/

This is actually right on the way between the USN/USCG Trumbo base and Duval st. If I didn't bring a bicycle or can scrounge one from the bicycle rack of death at the base, then walking in this is great for a refreshment stop! They also have a pretty good menu Irish style.

During the day I often hang at The Bull, drink some draft Rolling Rock, and watch the action on Duval.

Nights on Duval is very loud most places you go; young crowd for the most part but I'm sure we can fit in somewhere.

Dang, I am overdue for a KW run! I only got down there once last yr - we usually go 4-6 times.

The "Happy Hour" eats sound great to me!

As I no longer partake of the happiest part of the hour, I'll volunteer to be the DD in the hope of free sodas!

Any of the weekends you guys mentioned are fine with me. The odds of me getting a couple of days off are the same for any of them.

I would probably roll into Lake City before Noon on Friday. If any of you would like to meet up for the ride down, I'd welcome the company.

I would probably roll into Lake City before Noon on Friday. If any of you would like to meet up for the ride down, I'd welcome the company.
I could do this Chuck. I'm off Friday and Sat April 18 and 19. Gotta be home Sat night though because I won't be missing Easter Sunday morning with the family.

Any takers?

Gary

Easter, didn't think about that (thanks Gary), maybe 2nd weekend in May?

I agree with Jim on Irish Kevin's, way too crowded and LOUD! Finnegan's sounds good, as I'm not sure I've been there. I have been to the Half Shell a number of times, and found the food to be good and the ability to handle groups if we want to all sit together. Capt. Tony's Saloon ( original Sloppy Joe's) is a favorite of mine, though it will flood around the pool tables when it rains. This is one of the reasons that Hemingway got Sloppy Joe's moved to it's current location. The Bull has plenty of room and an open view of Duval St., just don't go up the stairs next to it. :)

Tony and Vic, a big "thank you" for offering a stopover place! An early morning ride down sounds good, and a good way to beat traffic too!

Having gone to KW on several occasions, I can't see this as a M/C destination. Heck, I can't even see it as a beach destination as there is really only one halfway nice one. The Keys are just nasty, dirty and run down, KW is tolerable (I guess) well, more-so if you are in with the gay crowd.

U guys have fun, and don't bend over in any of the bars in KW
wink.png

............At least it will be warm, so in one aspect... do it!

Oh crap I read Gary's post and then it dawned on me re Easter weekend........sorry Guys, seems I shoved a spoke in the wheels, but seriously, I stand by my earlier post. If the original dates work for the majority then go for it and make me envious with your pics and posts until the next time.

Yes, as per Rob's post, big thanks to Vic and Tony for the offer of a stopover venue and whether it be this trip or the next, I would really appreciate it.

And thanks Jim and others for the great accomodation and eatin'/drinkin' tips.

KW is tolerable (I guess) well, more-so if you are in with the gay crowd.U guys have fun, and don't bend over in any of the bars in KW ;)
Top Speed, the gay community won't bother you is you don't let them! Key West is their world, we're just visiting for a little while. :)

Yeah Vic, I've never had a problem. My wife and I have been many times, and all was good.

Vic, I went for a ride yesterday, and found myself just outside of your neighborhood looking for a route down there. I decided to avoid Sebring next time, as there are way too many lights and they all want to be red!

KW is tolerable (I guess) well, more-so if you are in with the gay crowd.U guys have fun, and don't bend over in any of the bars in KW
wink.png
Top Speed, the gay community won't bother you is you don't let them! Key West is their world, we're just visiting for a little while. :)
Cool beans. I'm gay friendly actually, well as long as there's no touchy feely schtuff
wink.png

Yeah Vic, I've never had a problem. My wife and I have been many times, and all was good. Vic, I went for a ride yesterday, and found myself just outside of your neighborhood looking for a route down there. I decided to avoid Sebring next time, as there are way too many lights and they all want to be red!
LKLD, the quickest way to my place avoiding Sebring is 98 to Barstow, hit SR60 east to the turnpike then south on the turnpike to the beeline highway exit then head west on Northlake Blvd. That's if you have SUNPASS. If not, get off at the PGA Blvd exit. If you're coming, I'll PM you the address for the gps. :)

KW is tolerable (I guess) well, more-so if you are in with the gay crowd.U guys have fun, and don't bend over in any of the bars in KW ;)
Cool beans. I'm gay friendly actually, well as long as there's no touchy feely schtuff ;)
They're always touchy feely, Top Speed! Just let them know that you're a big fan of the Vagina! :))