2013 Cruise control: Phooey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
Well, I got a phone call from Yamaha USA re; my inquiry as to whether there was going to be an easy fix for the 2013 cruise control limitation. Their response could be summarized as “No fix exists. None planned. Tough shit.”

This chaps my shorts not so much because of any effect it has on the way I operate the bike but rather the hit the resale value the 2013’s will take, at least here west of the Rockies. I’m afraid the 2013’s will be something of a financial pariah. I know of two guys who refused to consider the 2013 because of the CC limit but now have deposits down on the luscious 2014 redheads.

I rarely actually use the cruise control as I find a thumb type throttle lock to be just about as useful as, and in some cases more useful than, electronic cruise.

I’ve always had great luck with Yamaha’s products and admire the company. But, this episode has left me a tad bitter. And before somebody starts with the “You knew it when you bought it.” bullshit: No I didn’t. It didn’t occur to me to ask if the cruise control had an absurdly low limit for the same reason I didn’t ask if it had an electric starter or functioning headlights. There was no reason to think a modern motor vehicle would have such a preposterous deficiency. And apparently, Yamaha agrees with me.

Well, that sucks, but if yours was the only email they got. I wonder what would happen if a large percentage of '13 owners contacted Yamaha. Currently, you may be the only griping, and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks; I seriously doubt anyone from Yamaha corporate is tasked with reading this board to see what we think. They don't care as long as bikes keep going out the doors.

Well since you are so bitter about it and I try to be helpful when I can, you can give the 2013 to me. I live where an 80 mph limit is not an issue and I would love to have electronic CC. Just think of your '13 as the runt of the litter and let me have it. You know, "Free to good home and loving owners"...

Now common, Fish, the least you can do is offer the guy something in trade. Maybe you could work a deal with that Honda and some $$'s and offer to ride out and pick it up? It's the least you can do. Besides, you need to do another ride, we need to see all the pics you'd no doubt be takin' and the family would be so happy to have another FJR in the stable.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody will need to be able to reflash the ECU. There is an effort to do that for the Kawasaki C14 by one of the geek shops and they were very successful (speed limiters were removed, etc.). I wonder if they could take a look at your ECU and see what the limiting factor is. Otherwise it is about $700.00 for a 2014 ECU.

If I had a 2013 I would look into that. I buzzed across Nevada on an Audiovox CC-100 equipped C10 Concours at 90mph, 80mph would have seemed like crawling.

Dan

Now common, Fish, the least you can do is offer the guy something in trade. Maybe you could work a deal with that Honda and some $$'s and offer to ride out and pick it up? It's the least you can do. Besides, you need to do another ride, we need to see all the pics you'd no doubt be takin' and the family would be so happy to have another FJR in the stable.Gary

darksider #44
If he does not like an 80 mph limit on his electronic CC he would probably not like my Kaoko throttle lock either. You are correct though, I would happily buy his lunch and even pay for his gas when he picks me up at the airport for my Fly and Ride. I am generous like that.

Oh, I really do have sympathy for you Western Riders with that 80 mph limit. It just does not hurt me here in Swampy Flatlandistan.

So are we sure a 2014 ECU from the non-ES version of the 2014 will solve the Cruise Control problem in a 2013 and operate everything else as normal? Is it confirmed that's where the logic lies for the CC?

If someone can tell me they are even 95% sure that a 2014 non-ES ECU will work in the 2013 I will give it a shot. What I see on the parts sites looks like this:

2014 ECU 1MC-8581A-50-00

2013 ECU 1MC-8591A-21-00

MNFJR05, that idea is a huge assumption. It would 'probabky' work, but if it doesn't, you woulda been better off using that $700 to wipe your butt!

What about a "reverse speedo healer" type thing that fools the bike into thinking you're only going 50 when you're actually doing 75........... the sensor is the ABS sensor, though.

Been off the net for what seems like forever. Catching up.

So, Yamaha Corp won't do anything to resolve their "cripple ware." Whether I use it or not . . . I don't like it.

My next step is to show up at Honda-Yamaha Memphis and talk to them. The dealers are the ones who sold the bikes and who have a voice to Yamaha, so I'll push at the bottom on the money trail. I'll also ask about the ECUs, if available and if they will solve the "problem."

I'll post up their response.

Shuey

PS: What's the address for Yamaha Corp, I'll send them my dissatisfaction also.

Jerry, for what it is worth I also sent two old fashioned letters to Yamaha regarding the cruise control and did not get a response. I then also made a phone call and got the same exact response that you did, basically that we are shit out of luck. But like majicmaker Vic stated, I had two shots of Herradura Tequila Especial followed by a Bushmill's Black Bush chaser and felt a Hell of a lot better.

However as I previously mentioned, why don't you try out a Throttlemeister on your FJR? Once you get used to a Throttlemeister, they serve you well! Trust me, I've been breaking speed limit laws for years with a Throttlemeister! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Don, Throttlemeisters RULE!! And Oh by the way, Speeding is illegal...
rolleyes.gif

I must have missed this. What's the upper limit on the 2014 models?

There is an old rule to never jump on a first year product. Sadly, it seems to apply here.
sad.png

AK, it's a cruise control. Get a grip. You'll be fine and so will the bike. May I suggest a Double Tequila Shot with a Single Malt Whiskey Chaser! :)
While I appreciate all the constructive advice I can get, last time I was drinking tequila, I almost got the US into a war with Jamaica. Should probably let that idea slide. But then, the statute of limitations has probably run out by now......

Jerry, for what it is worth I also sent two old fashioned letters to Yamaha regarding the cruise control and did not get a response. I then also made a phone call and got the same exact response that you did, basically that we are shit out of luck. But like majicmaker Vic stated, I had two shots of Herradura Tequila Especial followed by a Bushmill's Black Bush chaser and felt a Hell of a lot better.
However as I previously mentioned, why don't you try out a Throttlemeister on your FJR? Once you get used to a Throttlemeister, they serve you well! Trust me, I've been breaking speed limit laws for years with a Throttlemeister! jes' sayin' and nuff said!
Don; I've had throttle locks on all my road bikes (to include the 2013 Feejer) for years. But, I just can't get the hang of the bar end types like Throttlemeister and Kaoko. I lurch the bike bike and forth trying to get it set and then if I back the throttle off a smidge when coming up on traffic or start on a downgrade the damned thing disengages. I've watched the video and tried like hell but just can't make peace with them. I use the Kuryakan thumb device; a marvelous gizmo that just flips on or off and is easily adjusted on a one time basis for preferred tension.

From years of practice and habit, I use the throttle lock almost exclusively and rarely engage the CC. In real world conditions (at least the way I ride) I find the throttle lock to actually be more useful than electronic cruise. Again, my bitch is what this silly piece of electronic shit will do to resale value. For however long the Gen III model is produced, the 2013 will be known as the "stupid year"; about as desirable as an AMF era Harley. That, and I've got those useless switches cluttering up the left switch pod. Maybe I'll convert them to target and fire snowbird-seeking missiles.

MNFJR05, that idea is a huge assumption. It would 'probabky' work, but if it doesn't, you woulda been better off using that $700 to wipe your butt!
HR, I've heard that all kinds of nasty things can be found on currency... Let's hope the '14 ECU works if for no other reason than public health!