Opinions... 1st SS1k options.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankenfeejeer

Reaction score
I have been diligently researching options for my first ss1k. The long term plan is to work up to riding from the abode in McMinnville, OR to DisneyWorld in Orlando, FL in 3 days. This ride would include a ss1k to San Diego, a ss2k to San Antonio, a ss3k to Jacksonville, and a 50cc from San Diego to Jacksonville. But that is fodder for another post another day.

Here are my first 2 options for my SS1k. I would plan on a Saturday in May or June, heading out by 5am. Interested in your opinions regarding the routes, direction of routes, the roads themselves, potential errors in thought, or potential problems with the routes. If anyone is interested, company would be welcomed.

I have a 4gal fuel cell.

First choice. I LOVE those central Oregon roads:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zH1sEDQQp3gk.kD9uZFZ1feXs&authuser=0&hl=en

Here is the second option. Not as crazy about including Seattle on the route, but I figure Saturday should be ok:

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206450783980815246252.0004f18c2ed46e6f32085&msa=0

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. The maps worked in the preview...

Working on an alternative. Looks like links are the best I can come up with right now:(

Thanks,

-Brian

From a documentation standpoint the shape of 2nd option generally looks easier as it has fairly defined and limited "corners" where if you get receipts in Enterprise, Spokane, and Everett....that's very likely the shortest distance possible. Cross referencing in S&T I see it estimates at 1096 miles....so more than enough to get over 1000. Good mix of some two-laners with faster Interstate...and a slog down I-5 when you're likely going to be the most tired. Very doable IMO.

The first option is certainly the more interesting for roads, has more than enough miles at 1112, but has lots of corners you're going to need receipts at. The Dalles, Madras, John Day, Alturas, might be able to skip Klamath, and Grants Pass. If those fuel points work out with the range of the FJR stock fuel tank (assuming you're not running a cell) then fine. But if you have to stop for fuel at other points...you're still likely going to need to get receipts at the corners to demonstrate you made the ride. The stretch between John Day and Alturas by day shouldn't be an issue, but with stock tank I imagine you're looking at Burns/Hines (nice Shell Station I like to use) and then Alturas for a 200 mile range. Lakeview is also available with reliable fuel and Riley has daytime fuel. Same idea on the final run to the barn up I-5 when you're tired seems like a good play.

From a documentation standpoint the shape of 2nd option generally looks easier as it has fairly defined and limited "corners" where if you get receipts in Enterprise, Spokane, and Everett....that's very likely the shortest distance possible. Cross referencing in S&T I see it estimates at 1096 miles....so more than enough to get over 1000. Good mix of some two-laners with faster Interstate...and a slog down I-5 when you're likely going to be the most tired. Very doable IMO.
The first option is certainly the more interesting for roads, has more than enough miles at 1112, but has lots of corners you're going to need receipts at. The Dalles, Madras, John Day, Alturas, might be able to skip Klamath, and Grants Pass. If those fuel points work out with the range of the FJR stock fuel tank (assuming you're not running a cell) then fine. But if you have to stop for fuel at other points...you're still likely going to need to get receipts at the corners to demonstrate you made the ride. The stretch between John Day and Alturas by day shouldn't be an issue, but with stock tank I imagine you're looking at Burns/Hines (nice Shell Station I like to use) and then Alturas for a 200 mile range. Lakeview is also available with reliable fuel and Riley has daytime fuel. Same idea on the final run to the barn up I-5 when you're tired seems like a good play.
Dang, I forgot to mention that I have a 4gal fuel cell that I will have installed just for these shenanigans. Edited first post.

It sounds like you prefer the option of the north route heading east first. Interesting. I had it in my head to head north and finish with 84 west.

Good advice on the corner receipts...

Thanks!

-Brian

It sounds like you prefer the option of the north route heading east first. Interesting. I had it in my head to head north and finish with 84 west.
I must have reversed it in my head. That works just about the same. Anything I-whatever on the way home is generally safer than dark mountain two-lane twisties for your first SS.

A Southerly option. https://mapq.st/N3Jf52

I'm not a fan of combining cert rides back to back for a rider that's not experienced doing long days. San Diego to San Antonio is 1275 miles. With traffic, that's likely a 20 hour plus day of riding. Hopping back on for another 1k+ day, after two previous long days won't be for everyone. You might consider adding a rest day in SD, giving up the SS3K and SS2K certs and just do the SS1k and 50CC cert rides. You would not be able to claim a SS2K during the 50CC, as doing the latter means you naturally did the former. At least as I understand the policy.

OTOH, if you need to get to Disney World in Orlando from McMinnville in three days, that's an SS3K too - https://mapq.st/1lBcKul Again, as I understand it, you're not going to be able to claim a SS2K and SS3K on the same ride. By doing the SS3K, you by default did the SS2K.

I'm not a fan of combining cert rides back to back for a rider that's not experienced doing long days. San Diego to San Antonio is 1275 miles. With traffic, that's likely a 20 hour plus day of riding. Hopping back on for another 1k+ day, after two previous long days won't be for everyone. You might consider adding a rest day in SD, giving up the SS3K and SS2K certs and just do the SS1k and 50CC cert rides. You would not be able to claim a SS2K during the 50CC, as doing the latter means you naturally did the former. At least as I understand the policy.

OTOH, if you need to get to Disney World in Orlando from McMinnville in three days, that's an SS3K too - https://mapq.st/1lBcKul Again, as I understand it, you're not going to be able to claim a SS2K and SS3K on the same ride. By doing the SS3K, you by default did the SS2K.
Good advice on all fronts. Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!

-Brian

Good point about not being able to claim an included ride in a cert request. You can't claim a SS1K in a BBG since you had to do the first to get the 2nd.

OTOH, if you need to get to Disney World in Orlando from McMinnville in three days, that's an SS3K too - https://mapq.st/1lBcKul Again, as I understand it, you're not going to be able to claim a SS2K and SS3K on the same ride. By doing the SS3K, you by default did the S
Interesting bit of info.

So will I be able to claim a ss3k and a 50cc on the same ride? I will have at least 3 ss1k's under my belt by then, so it will mostly be about timing, not my riding ability.

Interesting bit of info.
So will I be able to claim a ss3k and a 50cc on the same ride? I will have at least 3 ss1k's under my belt by then, so it will mostly be about timing, not my riding ability.
If you document the SS3K as a separate starting point than the shorter 50CC, I would think yes. If your 50CC ride is designed with a route of 3000 (and a little) miles, possibly not. As I understand, the SS3k can merely have a start and end for the whole 3k miles, with appropriate documentation at corners and 300-350 mile increments. So the same receipts could be used for the 50CC portion of the SS3k.

You can claim a BBG within the 50CC, as it's not a given that you did a BBG in order to complete the 50CC. (You have to document the BBG, obviously)

An extreme ride like a BBG Trifecta would require a start and stop for each of the 3 BBGs, and all would have to be completed within the 72 hour period.

By the same token, you likely would not be able to claim a SS2k on a 50CC ride, as the shortest common 50CC is around 2300 miles. It's a fine point, and one worth asking Ira at the IBA about if you are not sure. The IBA forum can be useful for this.

Hope that helps.

All good comments!

Again, as I understand it, you're not going to be able to claim a SS2K and SS3K on the same ride. By doing the SS3K, you by default did the SS2K.
Not necessarily. The SS series of rides are not what I call "series" rides, like the BBG multiples. Example: you could ride 400 miles in first 24 hours, 600 in second 24 hours and 2000 in last 24 hours and still earn a SS3k -- probably not wise and an unnecessary risk. A BBG3000 on the other hand must be two back to back BBGs. That being said, based on countless examples in forums, my opinion is you wouldn't earn both (even though one doesn't by definition include the other). Confused yet?

Yes you could earn something in conjunction with a 50cc if it didn't by definition include it (like a SS3k, BBG1500, or BBG3000)--but not a SS2k (because a 50cc is always over 2k in a day, unless you spend hours 49 and 50 going over 200 mph!)

I would agree not something to try to tackle without some comfort level and build up. Also a SS3k is an extreme ride requiring a previously completed rally, SS, BB, etc.

If it was me, I'd knock a one day ride out. Rest up and then attempt a 2 day ride. Regardless listen to your body and be prepared to go off plan and/or abort as required! It is very easy to push yourself once something is in your head unnecessarily.

$.02

If it was me, I'd knock a one day ride out. Rest up and then attempt a 2 day ride. Regardless listen to your body and be prepared to go off plan and/or abort as required! It is very easy to push yourself once something is in your head unnecessarily.
$.02
Wise words.

Very good advice from all. Thanks!

It is sounding like I should be able to achieve a ss3k and 50cc on the same ride. That's great news!

I will have a ss1k and ss2k done over this spring/summer. In fact, I'll be knocking out the ss1k in May. (exact day TBD)

You folks really are an amazing bin-o-facts!!

-Brian

@frankenfeejer - Why are you waiting until May to do the SS1K. (not that I would suggest this particular weekend! It's a tad white there now)

@frankenfeejer - Why are you waiting until May to do the SS1K. (not that I would suggest this particular weekend! It's a tad white there now)
Complete rupture rotator cuff repair in November. I'm going to have to work up to a ss1k to increase my odds of success.

I'm actually not too worried about making the miles/time. I've done 800 miles easily with a nice, long stop to watch MNF with my dad in Eastern Oregon.

White stuff? It didn't stop me any year before this one. Darned surgery:(

Ok. I know I scoffed at the white stuff issue when riding, but this is TOOOOO much white stuff for riding a motorcycle:

IMAG0015.jpg

This dude figured out how to take his kid for a ride!!

IMAG0013.jpg

I've read through the replies and didn't see this mentioned - so please forgive if I missed it.

I think you have to have a SS1K first before you can get certified for anything "extreme" - which would include 50CC, SS2k, SS3K. It's been said, but verify with Ira first to make sure.

So, that said, think about just doing an out and back slab ride, get it knocked out and paperwork sent in, then plan the Orlando ride after that. I personally like Eric's routing to Orlando; no 50CC, but SS3K could be done that way. You could have your hotel reservations ahead of time at good 1K+ stops. That would give you a goal each day and take that part of the ride out of your worries. You could probably line up your witnesses too from us here or other LD type forums (IBA, LDR, ADV).

Latest posts