San Fransisco Visit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
I will be in San Fran on business next week, but will have at least a day and half to do whatever we want. Just wonder if anyone in the area can tell what is a must see. I have done a lot of looking online and have already booked an Alcatraz tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coit Tower, Ghirardelli Square, Golden Gate Bridge. Lots to see, if the weather is decent,(chance of showers on Wed.), rent a bike and head down Skyline Drive and around the Half Moon Bay area.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a car and we aren't planning to take gear, so hadn't considered renting a bike.

Just looked to see where Ghiradelli Square is. We are staying at the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf, so it is only 4 blocks away.

Ive always liked a nice walk down pier 39 to check out the bums speepin in shade and the street performers, clam chowder in a sourdough bowl and some dungenis crab. You wouldnt need or want a car. Have fun.

Maybe you can keep count of how many FREAKS you see while there. That place is a people watchers dream!

Lombard St., Napa or Sonoma wineries. If you want to be able to walk around to do the most sightseeing, the Pier 39 and Ghiradelli Square area can keep you busy for at least half a day. Make sure you get a blue crab sandwich (if the crab is in season) from one of the fish stands outside of the many restaurants at The Pier.

Lucky [email protected]'re not going out there for an interview are you? Better not even think of relocating out there.
Bob just doesnt srtike me as the California type. Probably will swear off the place entirely when he gets back home. As long as he doesnt get on a bike while he;s there. There are alot of sweet places to ride once you get out of sanfransissyco.

I was born in whittier(LA) and still have family in the Napa valley and Sac. area and even IM NOT the cali type. Been in the south and midwest too long.

I spent some time in Woodland, north of Sac in the 80's...was not my cup of tea either...but that was a long time ago. I would not mind going back out to ride the roads in northern Cali on the FJR.

Here is a nice walking tour that my wife and I like to take when we go into the City for a walk and dinner in North Beach. I've got it starting from your hotel.

1. Walk to Pier 39. Check out the "famous" sea lions (that's Coit Tower on the hill in the distance; that's where you're headed eventually).

bp-winner-seals_449592n.jpg

2. Head down the Embarcadero to Levi Plaza. Cut through Levi Plaza toward the hill along Filbert St. Take the (very steep) Filbert Street steps up to Coit Tower. While heading up the steps, note the beautiful homes tucked into the hillside and views of San Francisco Bay. I don't think they're around right now (we were there a couple weeks ago), but keep an eye out while on the steps for the

69384124.jpg

3. From the Coit Tower parking lot (tower itself is closed, but no biggie), if the weather is clear, look for the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, Marin County, Angel Island, and The Crookedest Street in the World.

Coittower1.jpg

4. Head down the Greenwich steps and weave your way down to Washington Square in Northbeach (Italian neighborhood).

washington-square.jpg

5. Have dinner (or lunch) a couple blocks down Columbus Avenue at Calzone's. Get a seat on the sidewalk if you can; they have outdoor heaters.

l.jpg

6. After dinner, head a couple of blocks down Columbus to famous beatnik hangout, Vesuvio's Bar, and enjoy an Irish Coffee.

vesuvio.jpg

7. From Vesuvios, head a couple blocks over to Grant Street and enter Chinatown. Walk all the way down Grant and check out all the neon lights and shops.

8701485_orig.jpg

8. Continue as far as California Street. Watch the cable cars go by. Jump on one going up or down if you like / can.

tumblr_m7u87ecmvQ1r25do9o1_500.jpg

9. If you still have time and energy, continue along Grant across California and down the hill. Make your way to Union Square; watch the people and the ice skaters and check out the hoity-toity shops. Take a cab back to the hotel.

pc091-union-square4.jpg

Here's your route (as far as getting to Chinatown; although my map says Stockton, you want Grant Street).

sfwalkingtour.jpg

Thanks JB. Great picturess too. Hoping to get some good ones of my own. A lot of that stuff is what I was looking at already. Have a co-worker that just got back and showed me pictures of the seals at pier 39. He also recommended the Empress of China restaurant.

Joe - No interview. Calm down. Just a conference.

Bryan - What is "speepin"? Is that a cali thing?
smile.png
I will make a photo journal of the freaks. If I was going to be there longer I would definitely rent a bike and do some touring.

Thanks JB. Great picturess too. Hoping to get some good ones of my own. A lot of that stuff is what I was looking at already. Have a co-worker that just got back and showed me pictures of the seals at pier 39. He also recommended the Empress of China restaurant.
You're welcome. That's great you got the Alcatraz tour. Very worthwhile. Haven't been myself in decades, but very cool.

We are having torrential rain here this weekend <Finally!>, but supposed to clear this week--overcast, but no big rain.

Another very easy walking tour from your hotel is to head down to Fisherman's Wharf, visit the WWII submarine USS Pompanito, walk toward Aquatic Park, visit Ghiradelli Square, head out to the end of the walking pier for some great views of the bay and the GGB, then walk up into old Fort Mason and along down to the Marina Green.

Presentation1.jpg

And oh BTW, when you have that car, you might consider heading up to the overlook shown in this vid (the overlook is seen in the opening shot, on the other side of the GGB way up on the hill--"Hawk Hill" on Bug's map next post down). This was from an old ride announcement. At the end you go through a tunnel. After the tunnel you T-bone into a signalized intersection. Turn right to head back to the freeway (US 101), which'll get you back into SF or to points north, or turn left to head down into Sausalito (you can also get to US 101 north after driving through Sausalito).

https://youtu.be/P6QR3fGgYxM

https://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvisit/upload/map-mahe-2d.pdf

The right upper hand corner of the map has directions from the city.

The Marin Headlands is always worth a visit. Drive over the Golden Gate bridge and park on your right so you can walk out onto the GG bridge,great place for some pictures. Then hop into the car and drive out to the headlands. Awesome views, old fort plus a concrete gun battery from WW2 when they were worried about attacks from the Japanese.

Wouldn't bother to go out there if it's foggy, won't see much. Bring your rain coat as the forecast has some much needed rain.

Edit: The forecast is getting drier but you may deal with a few showers. No big deal.

Thanks again JB. Great video. Thanks for the map Bug. That looks like a good drive to take if it isn't foggy should be some great pictures. Have it printed and taking it with me. Scott- great link. I love triple D! Spanky said we should plan a trip across country highlighting Trople D's restaurants.

If you have time, try to see the cable car museum at 1201 Mason St (Mason & Washington). Really interesting stuff in there.