Shoie RF-1200: Caution.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
So, tried the new RF-1200 as a potential replacement for my trusty RF-1100. All in all, it’s a worthy upgrade. Better ventilation and quieter. And the included Pinlock is always a plus. One major problem, at least for where I ride. Some genius at Shoie apparently decided that their dark face shield was no longer fashion worthy. The new “dark smoke” is just barely tinted at all. Here in the desert, we count on shield tinting to not only keep us from being blinded, but also to keep in-helmet temperatures from going through the roof and as a solid defense against photo radar.

So, it’s bye-bye RF-1200 and back to my RF-1100. Fortunately, I purchased from Revzilla so all is good.

1: I have a Gt-air. Which is altogether splendid. But it's a bitch once things warm up as the clear outer shield lets in all that nasty sunlight.

2: Sunglasses don't do shit for in-helmet temps (a BFD around here) or protection from photo radar.

RF 1200 has pinlock lenses. Put in a dark one??

I use a super-visor sunblocker with the Pinlock, and it blocks out the worst of the heat and glare. I still use the RF1100 with a Pinlock, so lots of lens choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
The silly shit people bitch about.
Next it'll be about how CC limits affect resale. Oh, wait...

Of course, I do actually appreciate the OP bringing this to our attention. We need to know these things. I would never have thought about that. Or even thought of it as an issue to share. Now I have another criteria to consider when purchasing a helmet.

Well that freakin blows..... they better correct that thought process....

I can't stand lightly tinted shields... My eyes are ridiculously sensitive

I'm a letter writer dammit !!! Come on Shoei

There is this quote from Transitions:

...the RF-1200 will be available with a light-responsive, Transitions shield later this year. That goes dark when it’s bright, clear when it’s dark and is a genuine one-visor solution to all conditions.
Hmm, I have had luck tinting an Arai face shield with automotive window tint though it would never meet the VESC-8 standard. It took some care to keep bubbles out but it was possible.

Tinted face shields can be found on eBay here among several places.

However, Shoei's web site does show a number of OEM CWR-1 tinted visors.

I've got a Transitions shield on my Bell RS1.

I remember when I bought it the sales doofus tried to sell me the Transitions shield at the same time I bought the helmet ($400 for the helmet.. and get this, $175 for the shield!).

No thanks.

Flash forward and the same dealer was overstocked on the tinting shields and offered me one for $75 even. I had just sold my CBR2-fitty and has some spare cash so I bought it.

Ya, after a full summer with it, I can say, it's worth $175. But it just burns my ass that it IS worth $175.

What were we talking about again? Oh ya? Shoei sucks... right.

Shoei does not suck -- lack of shield tint not withstanding. I agree about sunglasses being a less than optimum solution. Finding a pair that clears the eyeport and doesn't bind on the ears -- and does so for multiple long days in the saddle -- is nearly impossible.

I tried the E-Tint option. Also not nearly sufficient tint for bright days.

Just curious, Is the problem here Shoei or is it Pinlock? Who makes the lens?

BTW if you can't spell Shoei (shoie?) it might not be your helmet anyway.

So, tried the new RF-1200 as a potential replacement for my trusty RF-1100. All in all, it’s a worthy upgrade. Better ventilation and quieter. And the included Pinlock is always a plus. One major problem, at least for where I ride. Some genius at Shoie apparently decided that their dark face shield was no longer fashion worthy. The new “dark smoke” is just barely tinted at all. Here in the desert, we count on shield tinting to not only keep us from being blinded, but also to keep in-helmet temperatures from going through the roof and as a solid defense against photo radar.
So, it’s bye-bye RF-1200 and back to my RF-1100. Fortunately, I purchased from Revzilla so all is good.
Why the heck would Shoei do that? I rode with an RF-1100 with the dark smoke shield and loved it. I cracked it during my last get-off and decided to go with the GT Air so I could have the internal sun visor. I can't say i'm a huge fan of the GT Air. It's not quiet, seems heavier and it seems like I have to fight it more at higher speed. I miss my 1100 and considered going with the 1200. Until now. Thanks for the info.