Boots Have New Sole - W/PR2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Don't laugh … just yet.

I was very disappointed with the 1 year wear out of my Tourmaster Solution 2s:

IMG_1235_zps714cf908.jpg

So things being "tight" lately, I tried something. The Florida "FJR" spelling left my PR2s with huge Chickenstrips:

IMG_1234_zpsc0e71384.jpg
[/url

So here's what transpired:

Templated soles and cut them out of the tire:

IMG_1237_zpse673a0a5.jpg

The tire had 14k on it but was taken off prematurely for a wet ride to Stagecoach. I was surprised by the amount of rubber left still on the tire.

IMG_1239_zps26bae945.jpg

Now I did some research on adhesives, and found for rubber to rubber "Atomic Bond Epoxy" was the best. Gorilla Glue was NOT recommended because of its huge expansion and messiness characteristics

I had Gorilla Glue in the house and the whole project was to save $ money without wasting time SO:

I used Gorilla glue:

IMG_1242_zps1de5781b.jpg

I clamped it best I could to keep the contour of the boot:

IMG_1244_zps5bb063dd.jpg

The glue stayed true to its reputation of expanding - what a mess!

I file down the edges and now will heat and apply a coat of black rubber cement:

IMG_1245_zps137e5d5f.jpg

https://s604.photobucket.com/user/101stpathfinder/media/IMG_1247_zps0295281f.jpg.html]
IMG_1247_zps0295281f.jpg

Keep in mind this is only an experiment and I did not want to waste time. I did one boot only, and will check out its durability (Glue wise)

If it fails- I have lost nothing but about 1 hour of my time.

SO do not laugh just yet.
rolleyes.gif

BTW- I can get 6 soles out of 1 tire!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, yer sumpin else. Michelin PR2 boots. You oughta send a pic to Michelin.

Some might say that much riding hath made thee mad.
However, I'm gonna guestimate that you can get another 10k outa them boots, easy, if that glue holds.
Oh, I almost forgot: I've got a pair of old tennis shoes that I'd like to send to ya...
smile.png

Gary

darksider #44

Better head to Mississippi Tony...

"Lost my boots in transit babe, pile of smoking leather. Nailed a retread to my feet and prayed for better weather"

Hope it works out for ya but my experiences have shown that it won't if Gorilla Glue isn't flexible. One- it'll be like walking with 2x4's stuck on your feet. Two- the glue will break, literally, from you flexing it. Some sort of rubber cement would have been better.

edit: dang it, SLK beat me to it! https://www.shoegoo.asia/how-to.htm

I hope the directional arrow on the tire points to the toe of the shoe. If not you may have much improved handling when you are walking backwards.

Tires come with a fair helping of carbon black, mixed in the rubber.

I mean, who would buy gray or brown tires, right?

Seems to me that the tire-rubber soles would be okay outside,

but they might make heavy black marks on most indoor flooring.

Feedback on this issue is welcome, here.

+1, for using the black ShooGoo adhesive.

Cheers,

Infrared

Hopefully there won't be vibrations at speed, you won't pull to one side and your belt won't oscillate on deceleration.

There is a history for what you did if that helps.

il_570xN.478079478_klnx.jpg

These Huarache sandals will outlive you. In the 70's you were styling with tire tread sandals.

You ride your motorcycle indoors?
Fred,

Though the kitchen, around the pool, stop short at the billiards room . . . Doesn't everybody?
rolleyes.gif

Actually, came home with some gen-U-ine tire-tread sandals once, a long time back.

Took me a while to figure out where all the black marks on the floor in the house were coming from.

Cheers,

Infrared

Can you have "chicken strips" on boots?

Seriously, it's a great idea and I hope it lasts. Never used Gorilla Glue, so no input on it being the right choice.

Tony, you suggested twice for us not to laugh just yet. Sorry Dude, that made me blow chucks out of my nose. Save me some of whatever you're smokin'. That must be some real good shit! I want a taste! :)))

Tony, you suggested twice for us not to laugh just yet. Sorry Dude, that made me blow chucks out of my nose. Save me some of whatever you're smokin'. That must be some real good shit! I want a taste! :)))
Vic,

How many riders do you know whose tires match the soles of their boots?

I mean … How cool is that? - The chicks will flock !!!
punk.gif