So tell me about..... Ohio?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I'm starting to kick around ideas for my bike trips this year. Timing wise, looks like it will be mid-April, and another leaf peeping trip sometime in the fall. I've been reading a lot about the good riding in southeast Ohio, which really surprised me. Not that I'm an expert in the mid-west, but most of the roads I've seen there are.... well.... pretty straight.

What do you know about Ohio?

Camping options?

Sights to see?

Roads that must be ridden?

It doesn't have to rival the Tail of the Dragon. I'm trying to think outside the box a little.

Thoughts?

I'm starting to kick around ideas for my bike trips this year. Timing wise, looks like it will be mid-April, and another leaf peeping trip sometime in the fall. I've been reading a lot about the good riding in southeast Ohio, which really surprised me. Not that I'm an expert in the mid-west, but most of the roads I've seen there are.... well.... pretty straight.
What do you know about Ohio?

Camping options?

Sights to see?

Roads that must be ridden?

It doesn't have to rival the Tail of the Dragon. I'm trying to think outside the box a little.

Thoughts?
Thoughts

Mark hit it on the head...but if you'd like, I could work on a list of reasons to ride SE Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mid April is pretty close to the first weekend of May. Last year, there were over 30+ riders at the Ramble. Wheaton's little gathering continues to grow. Don't think of SE Ohio as what you see west and north of Columbus. The good stuff is south of I-70 and east of I-77. There's some good stuff west of I-77 as well.

Amish beauty contest
grin.gif
...say, we leave before the bathing suit competition comes up tho!, ...right?
hairysmiley.png

hairy-tits.jpg

I guess I should fess up - I did see that 21 page thread when I did a search. I was too lazy to read through it. I just scanned it quickly, but found no pictures of the scenery, didn't see much in the way of camping suggestions, sights that must be seen (or were seen at the 2013 event).

I did find this, which was interesting:

https://home.comcast.net/~FJR-NERDS/GPS_Routes/20140130074934-11264-map.html

Looks like at least it's 3-dimensional south of I-70.

Before you start flaming - I didn't read the thread word for word. I'll go back and sift through it.

Until I retire (about 5 more years), I can't take a bike trip for more than about 8 or 9 days. Colorado and points further West could be done in that time frame, but I want more time to do that right - like weeks (or even months) of time. So, considering the time available, I'm trying to find places that I have not been to yet. Learn something new. Get out of the box.....

Don't worry too much about the scenery...... I'd say attend The Ramble or OHSTOC to get a feel for the area. The State Parks (Burr Oak or Lake Hope) have good camping or cheap cottages, and make a good home base for a few days.

Thoughts?

I would expand the trip to include 2 or 3 days in Kentucky and West Virginia.Ohio isn't high on the scenery list...maybe rent a cabin in the Hocking Hills area and use that as your Ohio base camp.The Hocking Hills offer some good scenic hiking(Ash Cave,Conkles Hollow,Old Man's Cave,Rock House,etc) and interesting zip lines...also some of the most scenic riding in the state,especially in fall.

If you include a couple days in Kentucky you have options like Mammoth Cave NP,Corvette museum(whats left of it),or a trip through the horse country in the Lexington area.Kentucky also has quite a few very good motorcycle roads.

West Virginia has the Hawk's Nest area,New River Gorge and the Seneca Rocks area that are all well worth visiting,and are all surrounded by exellent riding.

Also...be careful riding SEO in mid-April.We've had a pretty cold,snowy winter so watch out for sand and cinders on the roads.

There are several people here that could help you with routing so you don't miss any of the "must ride" roads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I see a picture of the Big Muskie's Bucket it makes me wish that they would have saved the whole machine...it was a BEAST!

It could have been the crown jewel of the whole Wilds/AEP Recreation area,and one of the biggest tourist draws in SEO.

What a shame.

Thoughts?
I would expand the trip to include 2 or 3 days in Kentucky and West Virginia.Ohio isn't high on the scenery list...maybe rent a cabin in the Hocking Hills area and use that as your Ohio base camp.The Hocking Hills offer some good scenic hiking(Ash Cave,Conkles Hollow,Old Man's Cave,Rock House,etc) and interesting zip lines...also some of the most scenic riding in the state,especially in fall.

If you include a couple days in Kentucky you have options like Mammoth Cave NP,Corvette museum(whats left of it),or a trip through the horse country in the Lexington area.Kentucky also has quite a few very good motorcycle roads.

West Virginia has the Hawk's Nest area,New River Gorge and the Seneca Rocks area that are all well worth visiting,and are all surrounded by exellent riding.

Also...be careful riding SEO in mid-April.We've had a pretty cold,snowy winter so watch out for sand and cinders on the roads.

There are several people here that could help you with routing so you don't miss any of the "must ride" roads.
^^^^

Consider this guy a resident expert.

Latest posts