Anyone going to Daytona Bike Week?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy lives close in Jacksonville / St Augustine area - he steers clear of that nightmare every year....

Too Many drunks on bikes - accidents a plenty.... unless things have changed ?!?!?!

The big draw for fun is the 24 hours LeMans races - Now that is an awesome time...

Yep! Main Street is a zoo but, that's where the good vendors are. I'm definitely hitting the vendors at the race track too. Just curious if anyone from here will be there. Let me know. I'll also check out ScooterG with his harem of new Yamaha's. :)

Yep! Main Street is a zoo but, that's where the good vendors are. I'm definitely hitting the vendors at the race track too. Just curious if anyone from here will be there. Let me know. I'll also check out ScooterG with his harem of new Yamaha's. :)
He will be at the track?

What vendors are you shopping Vic?

That's the info I got from Scooter's post in Rides & Gatherings, Texas & South, Yamaha Demo, San Antonio post. Read it. He said he's assigned to the truck that's going to Daytona.

As far as what vendors I'm shopping for? ALL OF THEM! I must walk amongst all that candy! I can't help myself! I need therapy! :)

To quote the Jackson Five from way back when nobody knew the name of the shrimp doing the singing; "I'll be there" on the first Saturday.

Gary

darksider #44

My buddy lives close in Jacksonville / St Augustine area - he steers clear of that nightmare every year....Too Many drunks on bikes - accidents a plenty.... unless things have changed ?!?!?!
The drunks are "mostly" at night. I've been going up there for yrs on HDs and my FJR. I leave early and get back before dark and have no problems. However, anytime you have huge numbers of bikes and other traffic, of course, you need to be cautious. There's always an exception, but doing the early thing keeps you out of the way of the majority of the drunkards.

I need to do a quick run up there (after this weekend/Daytona 500) and see the progress at the track. They have embarked on a new project - "Daytona Rising" - and last time I was up there the entire front of the track was a huge construction zone. That is where the Yamaha and other tents usually go, so not sure what they'll do this yr. The other vendors - more HD orientated - are over by the corner of the property that is Speeedway Blvd & Midway Ave.

Knowing some of the back ways in and out help tremendously during Bike Week. I like going down to Main St. the BMW dealer, and Beach St, but getting off Speedway will improve your ride. There's also a Yamaha/Honda/Kaw dealer on US1 that can be a good stop too.

The HD dealership at Destination Daytona in Ormond Beach always throws a good party. Many vendors there too! I rarely miss that one. :)

I agree with Jim, Main Street is fun in the middle of the day. I head out before the crazy people come out to play.

Just to say "Been There, Done That"! Daytona Bike Week had been one of my bucket list items! Myself and two friends trailered our bikes from here in the Okanagan, B.C, to Phoenix, driving non stop hot seating the driver! Left here in the snow and cold, ran out of gas once, somewhere, siphoned gas out of the bikes in the trailer to get back to a service station. Arrived in Phoenix in about 30 hours of steady driving. Slept overnight, left truck and trailer with friend, headed east. Took us 3 1/2 days to reach Daytona and were very lucky with the weather cooperating as most daytime temps were high 70 to low 80's which we were told was a little high for that time of year? I recall arriving in Pensacola in the evening and the temp was above 70, but the next morning is was 31, brrr. In Daytona,we parked the bikes at our hotel and except for a few tours around didn't use them much. We did a lot of walking, and drinking as I remember? What a show! I will never have to go back for a second visit, at least during the event. Stayed 2 days and headed back to Phoenix. I had never been to this part of our world so leaving we headed south to Miami for a look and then headed across Alligator Alley to Everglade City. Where we enjoyed one of the best meals I've ever had, can you say Shrimp! Fantastic! In the years since our trip I realize we were very lucky with the weather we had! Some years at the same time we would have spent days in the rain or worse. Sorry to bore you but? Thanks for listening!

That wasn't boring, jmgrif. That sounds like it was a killer adventure. On average during Bike Week, the temps drop like a rock come 4pm. If you don't bring a warm jacket, you're screwed. The bad news is that you have to wear that jacket all day in the heat. It's part of the fun! Lol

I did it in the 80's, staying a week each time at the ABATE campground. I had tons of fun, crazy ass times for sure, but now I avoid large gatherings. All the things I wanted in my younger years, no longer appeals to me now.

You guys have fun and stay safe!

I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale for a week with my oldest son to do some scuba diving starting the 8th. When I planned this trip 6 months ago I did not know it was Daytona Bike Week!

Since we're flying down from Indy, I can't ride my feej and I looked into renting a bike but it's almost all Harleys and at premium prices for the week. Maybe we'll just drive up to spend part of a day.

Any recommendations on which day, which area or what to see specifically?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall arriving in Pensacola in the evening and the temp was above 70, but the next morning is was 31, brrr.
The panhandle can be a cruel monster. The moist air can chill you to the bone and will fool you 'cause "Its in Florida"

BUT, the rest stops have really developed nicely.

Yeah for sure - things have gotten much nicer down on the coast..... I really enjoy running up and down - lots of great seafood restaraunts.... I sometimes wish I could just eat all day and not turn into a fat bastard..... :)

It's one of the five bucket list rallies to go to this year. After Sturgis a couple times, I decided I want to see and experience them all.

So I will be heading down that way for the Thur-Sat. I definitely want to check out the vendors and specialty rides.

Have to prepare myself that there probably isn't the South Dakota Great riding roads in the area; but still probably fun to go and watch the races.