Newfoundland in June.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild72

Keep the dream alive: Hit the snooze button.
Reaction score
Myself and my buddy are currently in the planning stages of a week long trip to Newfoundland this June, primarily moto-camping. Probably going to do a saddlesore from PA up to North Sydney, NS, where will catch the ferry (and some sleep), to Newfoundland.

Planning on visiting the obvious places, such as Cape Spear, and hoping to see some Viking settlements, whales, icebergs etc., but curious if anyone on here has knowledge of some must-see places or roads to travel.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Pete

Digby ferry will get you to St John New Brunswick. Which is good... unless you want to go to Newfoundland.

You can go North Sydney to Port a Basques (sp?) or Argentia (near(ish)) to St John's.

Griff

Our church motorcycle group toured Newfoundland in 2009. We came in at Channel-Port au Basques, ran up 430 (and back, of course) then out to St. John's and left from Argentia.

A highlight in St. John's was Signal Hill, the site of the first Trans-Atlantic radio communication.

Gros Morne, which I remember as being the prettiest area in Newfoundland, is a must-see, and you'll see it if you ride 430 up to the top of Newfoundland.

We stayed in Port au Choix, which was a really neat, small town, took the ferry over to Blanc-Sablon, ON in the morning, and rode 510 up to Red Bay, NL, notable because that's where the pavement runs out. It was a beautiful, beautiful ride and the tundra was fascinating. If you have the time, I would really recommend going over there. Newfoundland is pretty flat, but that part of Labrador had some hills and was just really stunning. No twisties or anything, but gorgeous. 510 was also where we spotted icebergs. Another highlight was L'anse aux Meadows and St. Anthony, but you were probably already planning to go there. IIRC, we went from Port au Choix to Red Bay and back to St. Anthony in one day. If was long, but doable.

Another fun ride was up near Summerford and Twilingate. Can't tell you what roads- we were just poking around looking for fjords- but it was a really neat area and very off the beaten path. We never found any fjords, but the locals were super nice and it was def. worth our time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digby, NS is where you board the ferry. Digby is the scallop capital of the world! Must try some if you get the chance.
No ferry to Newfoundland from Digby!Weather in Newfoundland (as mentioned above) is generally better later in the year.
Digby ferry will get you to St John New Brunswick. Which is good... unless you want to go to Newfoundland.
You can go North Sydney to Port a Basques (sp?) or Argentia (near(ish)) to St John's.

Griff
Oops, got my "News" mixed up.

Thanks for all the input.

I would love to go later in the year, however our timing is based on available dates from out respective jobs. It was a coin toss between June or July, but my wife decided the family vacation is July, hence the June travel time to Newfoundland. After spending the first 37 years of my ice in Scotland, I don't anticipate any weather that I am not used to riding in...

Ferry and cabins already booked from North Sydney to Port aux Basque and back. We are both experienced endurance riders, (actually met up during an endurance rally a few years ago), and while mileage is not an issue, we both want to soak up as much of the culture, scenery and history as possible during our short visit, which means allowing sufficient time at each location. Currently looking to plan for a maximum of 400 miles each day, although we do want to sample the night life in St. Johns so the day after that may be a late start...

I did Nova Scotia a few years back, which to date has been one of the best moto-camping trips in over 30 years of riding. Also got to meet Scott (CanadianFJR), which was cool, so if there is anyone close by interested in meeting up, I would be delighted to try and incorporate that into our travel plans. (June 19th - June 26th).

Thanks again for some great tips.

Pete

I bet it's cheaper in June. Nobody else will be there.
thumbsup.gif
I'm okay with that Fred, and being a Scotsman, cheaper is always better...

I would suggest joining www.ridetherock.com

Lot's of good info.

Weather that time of year could be iffy, maybe even snow.

Keep my in the loop with your travel plans. We might be able to hook up for a coffee.

Canadian FJR

Lot's of good info.

Keep my in the loop with your travel plans. We might be able to hook up for a coffee.

Canadian FJR
Hey Scott,

You had to mention snow, didn't you? I've had my fill of that stuff already this year, and I am sure NL will at least be a couple of degrees warmer than here now!.

I will certainly keep you updated on the travel plans, but as of now we are leaving PA around 6pm on Thursday June 18th. Catching the 11:45pm ferry from North Sydney, NS on Friday night and sleeping on the way to NL. Return trip from NL is on Friday 26th at 11:45pm. No fixed plans yet for our time on NL with the exception of having a great time.

I will check out ridetherock.com.

Thanks

Pete

Lot's of good info.

Canadian FJR
Hey Scott,

You had to mention snow, didn't you? I've had my fill of that stuff already this year, and I am sure NL will at least be a couple of degrees warmer than here now!.

I will certainly keep you updated on the travel plans, but as of now we are leaving PA around 6pm on Thursday June 18th. Catching the 11:45pm ferry from North Sydney, NS on Friday night and sleeping on the way to NL. Return trip from NL is on Friday 26th at 11:45pm. No fixed plans yet for our time on NL with the exception of having a great time.

I will check out ridetherock.com.

Thanks

Pete
If your plans include riding with studded snow tires, you should plan on having a great time in June! :D

From a fellow person of Scot heritage, I wish you the best!

Late June will not be a problem and you can book the day before with the bike since it is fairly easy to squeeze the bike on the ferry. Both times I have been to Newfoundland it was late June / early July and getting passage on the ferry was not that difficult with the bike but definitely book ahead. The weather may be cool but not cold. If you go up to Iceberg Alley (St Anthony) it will be cooler if the currents are pushing the pack ice onshore.

Late June is the end of the Iceberg viewing season and the start of the Whale watching season during normal years. Best iceberg viewing is up in St Anthony area and I good luck whale watching around Witless Bay on the Avon Peninsula over by St John's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferry crossings were booked last week. Going to bring my own tie-downs as I have heard some ferry operators have been known to use anything they can find, and may not take too much care with how they strap things down. We are hoping to see an iceberg or two, and with any luck some whales might put on a show for us.

Cool or even slightly cold does not bother me too much, but I will have the heated gear just in case, underneath my Roadcrafter one-piece, which does a great job at keeping out the rain.

Already psyched about this one.

They provide some instruction but you are responsible for tying your own bike down. in the four round-trips I have made, they have always had plenty of ratcheting tie straps for securing your bike.

They provide some instruction but you are responsible for tying your own bike down. in the four round-trips I have made, they have always had plenty of ratcheting tie straps for securing your bike.
Thanks Ross, good to know.

Pete

Try to cover your bike on crossings. Many times you will be first one on the ferry which means you are real close to the gate. Rough seas can give you a seawater bath especially from an Argentia return.

We would pull over at Port aux Basque to adjust clothes, do final setup on bike etc. but mostly to let the rush traffic go first with a 20 min. lead. This proved to be a worthwhile tip.

Make sure you have mosquito nets, when the wind stops the buggers appear !

We've ridden the Rock twice for the beautiful scenery, but will return again some early August for the festival season. The Newfund Landers are great folks !

You will be tight on time, but should the opportunity present itself, in Fortune, take the high speed ferry to St Miquelon for an overnighter , you can leave your ride in Fortune in a parking coral .

ride safe

Roadancer