March 13th ride to Key West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
My son and I are leaving the frigid Midwest on March 8th to fly down to the Miami area for some scuba diving. It looks like I will have a couple of days later in the week for some other activities and after talking to 101stpathfinder we have decided to ride down to Key West on March 13th. For those of you who know Tony, he likes to leave early to see the sunrise while on the 7-mile bridge. Although we do not have an exact departure time yet, it will be very early, but anyone else is invited to join us on the way down, in KW, or on the way back.

Post up here if you are available and where you could meet...we will do our best to catch you. After all, it's about the ride, not just the destination!

Looking forward to meeting some you ol' farts...

Allen

Damn Allen, wish I could join you, as you all are going to have a blast! I'll be making the trip in May, and that's about all wifey would be happy with....she knows me. :)

Enjoy your trip down and take plenty of photos, especially at the 0 mile marker!

Wish I had an opening in my schedule for March but, I don't. Bummer! I'm on the run in May. It's going to be Fun! Enjoy your trip.
grin.gif

No way I can do it on the 13th; I have a Dr. appointment, which, uh <cough> maybe "someone" else should be doing with all the sick time he's been taking...
huh.png

Just curious where are you renting or sourcing a bike? I just got back from a week or so in the Keys and would have loved to ride in the warm 80+ degree weather we had. Lots of bikes heading out along the Overseas Hwy. Truth be told, it's not epic motorcycle road, but not bad when you've been cooped up all winter.

Take a sick day, go for a ride!

I'm borrowing an FJR from another forum member. He is being very gracious.

Heading to the airport now to fly to Ft. Lauderdale. There are 2 of us going down to KW on Thursday...others are welcome to join us!

So, Tony and I rode down to KW from Ft. Lauderdale March 13th, starting out at 4am...yes, you read that correctly, we left at 4am so we could get down to the 7-mile bridge to see the sunrise at 7:38am.

Our first stop was the lighted tropical fish in the Keys near mile marker 50:

20140313_073007_zpsae393203.jpg

Our next stop was the start of Hwy 1:

20140313_084736_zpsecbdbf85.jpg

Then we sent to the southernmost point in the USA:

20140313_085936_zps84f63692.jpg

On our return, we stopped at the world's largest lobster. See how it matches my t-shirt!?:

20140313_130543_zps4dfbf67d.jpg

Overall, it was a good ride. I did see a little bit of the sun rise while we were on the bridge but the clouds kept most of it hidden. When we started out it was about 70 degrees and when we left the lobster it was up in the 80's. While browsing the trinket store next to the lobster, we saw a uniquely painted orange FJR. We talked to the owner and found out he loved the color on his Harleys but loved the FJR so much he decided he wanted it to be the same color, especially since he hardly ever rides the hogs now!

Tony was a great guide and even showed a cultured side by eating breakfast at a French Bistro! Who would have known that was possible?

Hope you guys have a great time when you do this ride in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful ride report, Allen. You're killing me! I just had to bail on my May group run to the keys. After my month long proctologist exam, I'll do the same thing. Hope you had a good time. :)

I think I saw that bike at the I-75 Ga welcome center Friday afternoon.

I was beside the center on the lovely black FJR with the fat gas tank.