BLM Fuel Cell Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would try posting here before I posted in the IBA forum or list. I know some riders here with this tank or knowledge of it.

I have the fuel cell currently mounted on my '05 FJR (Gen 1) and want to be able to mount the cell on my '08 FJR (Gen 2). I understand

that Bill passed away, but was wondering if any brackets were made for the Gen 2? If not, has anyone come up with any?

Lastly if none of the above, does anyone have any contacts that might be able to manufacture something like this?

Or should I fork over the cash and buy a new cell?

Which brings up another question:

Those that have the flat bed style fuel cell, Is it time consuming to remove?

Bill usually integrated brackets into the cell.

Don't go with a " new " cell, but find somebody local to help tweak it. Somebody with aluminum experience and welding skills would help .

Lastly if none of the above, does anyone have any contacts that might be able to manufacture something like this?Or should I fork over the cash and buy a new cell?Which brings up another question:Those that have the flat bed style fuel cell, Is it time consuming to remove?
Sorry not familiar with the BLM. The maple seat latch only took about 5-7 minutes to remove as the feet put tension on the seat latch and just the bolt in the tail, pull vent line and electrical plug. Since then a stabilizer bar added more stability and redundancy to tail area where a top case would typically mount. Maybe takes 20 minutes nominally.

+1 to what Iggy said. I'm sure you could work the BLM over to Gen2 with the right metal worker.

If all else fails you could give the Gen1 BLM to me *whistles*

Seriously though, shouldn't be hard to remove the old brackets and weld new on for the Gen2. Just need to find a welder that's not scared to weld a tank that had gas in it :)

I wonder if you can make an adapter for the gen 2 that would allow you to use the gen 1 cell without modification?

This way you can easily swap it between bikes as desired.

This ^ is what I am leaning toward. The cell has 2 detachable mounting brackets. A set made for the Gen 2 would give me the ability to transfer back and forth. The gen 2 is in the bull pen, waiting for the gen 1 to need relief, but the '05 has got a strong arm at 180k!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring it up here when you drop of the '08 for the lights. I still think we can maybe make "adaptors" of some type that can be attached for Gen2 use, and left off for Gen1. Don't know untill we look at it. If we can figure something out, I have a good local welder if that's needed for mods. The biggest thing is coming up with a simple yet strong idea.