My new ride, 2014 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yessirrom

Reaction score
Picked up Friday. Got about 300 miles on it. Photos, so you know it really happened...

4h465x.jpg

20u30c2.jpg

tyty9.jpg

First damage aaaarrrggg

30w6srq.jpg

Action Shot

https://tinypic.com/m/hv2qkn/3

I am loving the bike. My wife says she can tell a big difference in the ride as compared to our 2007 FJR.

There is a big difference in throttle response between touring and sport mode. My wife liked the touring mode but I kinda hate it. I like an immediate response to throttle input. You can change the mode while moving. You just have to pull the clutch and toggle the switch. You cannot change it while accelerating.

We changed the suspension mode on the fly and you can feel the difference. Got a little bouncy on soft. Won't use that much. I am 180lbs and my wife is 160lbs?

I have noticed an annoying rattle in the front end. The dealer wants me to believe it is the brake pads moving around. Does not seem like it to me. I am going to have to re-torque every nut and bolt and see if I can track it down. No such rattle on my '07. I did notice that the reflectors are not really tight but I am not sure that I am feeling that. Going to pull them off. I will update when I figure it out.

Weather is going to get ugly tomorrow so tracking it down will have to be delayed.

You can see that I removed the ugly reflector warts from the bags. Also removed the tank sticker. Fender to follow.

Gotta get the smuggler painted......

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. I hate you.
not_i.gif

Seriously, I hope you get lots of happy miles on it. After my Yamaha Demo Ride last weekend I have been struggling badly. I keep seeing RED everywhere. Those bikes are such an improvement, they corrected deficiencies I never knew the older ones had.

Go ahead and pull the trigger, Redfish. You know you want to. All you have to do is convince Mrs Redfish. That shouldn't be too much of a problem for you, Right? :))

Go ahead and pull the trigger, Redfish. You know you want to. All you have to do is convince Mrs Redfish. That shouldn't be too much of a problem for you, Right? :))
Mrs. Redfish and I are not on speaking terms. She only talks to me every other Friday, which is payday.
uhoh.gif

Okay seriously, Mrs. Redfish is not the problem. I have trouble spending money on the only "selfish" hobby I have. I already have a great bike which will serve me well for years to come. The FJR is a want, not a need. I will say that I "Want" that bike really badly.

Beautiful bike,

When I bought my "new to me" 08, against my wife's strong objections, she didn't talk to me for a whole month. I'd risk a years worth of silence for that beautiful machine........

Enjoy the ride

P.S. it was a good month

Be Good, Be Safe

Daniel

Mrs. Redfish and I are not on speaking terms. She only talks to me every other Friday, which is payday. :uhoh:

Okay seriously, Mrs. Redfish is not the problem. I have trouble spending money on the only "selfish" hobby I have. I already have a great bike which will serve me well for years to come. The FJR is a want, not a need. I will say that I "Want" that bike really badly.
I understand your predicament completely. But, you do understand that, your "wants" are the things that make your world go round and she has to know that. A happy husband makes for a happy family! That's the "Male" version of: If mama's happy... Everybody's happy. Just food for thought. Think about that for a while. It'll make a whole lot of sense. Trust me on that one. :)

Daily ride for me. I do 100 miles per day when it's not raining. 68000 miles on my '07. Everything feels more refined on this version.

Mrs. Redfish and I are not on speaking terms. She only talks to me every other Friday, which is payday.
uhoh.gif

I understand your predicament completely. But, you do understand that, your "wants" are the things that make your world go round and she has to know that. A happy husband makes for a happy family! That's the "Male" version of: If mama's happy... Everybody's happy. Just food for thought. Think about that for a while. It'll make a whole lot of sense. Trust me on that one. :)
Magic, my friend: ancient chinese saying: man who think "when daddy's happy, everybody's happy" is = to the female side of that equation better measure dog before choosing doghouse.

Gary

been there done that

There is a big difference in throttle response between touring and sport mode. My wife liked the touring mode but I kinda hate it. I like an immediate response to throttle input. You can change the mode while moving. You just have to pull the clutch and toggle the switch. You cannot change it while accelerating.
No need to pull the clutch (at least on the '13) just make sure CC is not active (can be on just not engaged) and no throttle applied and you can switch modes.