2014ES discount in CA?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerider

Reaction score
Is paying full MSRP the only way to get a 2014ES? I'm in California so I can't get one from D&H of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't seem to be an ES question as much as it is a California question. Thread title modified. I'm not from that state, but the answer would seem to be you can if you can find a dealer within California that sells for less than MSRP.

I'm in California so I can't get one from D&H of course.

I believe you still could. You'd just need to put 7500 miles on the bike before you return to California, and then license. The FJR is a great bike to do a 48+ IBA ride on.
wink.png

This doesn't seem to be an ES question as much as it is a California question. Thread title modified. I'm not from that state, but the answer would seem to be you can if you can find a dealer within California that sells for less than MSRP.

I'm in California so I can't get one from D&H of course.

I believe you still could. You'd just need to put 7500 miles on the bike before you return to California, and then license. The FJR is a great bike to do a 48+ IBA ride on. ;)
It's a great idea, but it could get tricky.

From the CA DMV website:

"California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase..."

Unless the out-of-state dealer left the mileage section blank, which could raise some other issues - like warranty, insurance...?

Not that I've never had personal fantasies which included criminal conspiracies!

"California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase..."
Then even more of a CA question I'm sure all you residents of will figure out on your own accord.
wink.png

I know this is the pot calling the kettle black BUT:

Remind me why people live in California. Is there one good reason?

Gosh, I can't wait to get out.

Dave

Is paying full MSRP the only way to get a 2014ES? I'm in California so I can't get one from D&H of course.
My information is a bit old but that is what I found out when looking for an "ES" back in November. At the time, no dealer in Northern California had one but all of the ten dealers I contacted indicated they would not budge from MSRP and some hinted at dealer markups. I doubt if things have changed but you could do what I did and e-mail all of the dealers within a certain radius of your location (in my case 120 miles).

I find e-mailing to be a good initial contact, then you have their position in "writing" and know exactly who to talk to if you want to take it to the next level.

I ended up giving up on finding an "ES" model for what I wanted to pay for it and went with the "A" instead (for what I wanted to pay for it). Couldn't be happier.

Dan

I know this is the pot calling the kettle black BUT:
Remind me why people live in California. Is there one good reason?

Gosh, I can't wait to get out.

Dave
How about helping the OP out instead of bashing California. This just gets old (born here in 1949, gonna die here).

Dan

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="08FJR4ME" data-cid="1129886" data-time="1393955002"><p>

I know this is the pot calling the kettle black BUT:<br />

<br />

Remind me why people live in California. Is there one good reason?<br />

<br />

Gosh, I can't wait to get out.<br />

<br />

Dave</p></blockquote>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="08FJR4ME" data-cid="1129886" data-time="1393955002"><p>

I know this is the pot calling the kettle black BUT:<br />

<br />

Remind me why people live in California. Is there one good reason?<br />

<br />

Gosh, I can't wait to get out.<br />

<br />

Dave</p></blockquote>

Where else can you ride 365 days a year? :)

Erm.....Florida??? Hawaii?? Arizona?? New Mexico?? Texas?? Louisiana?? Alabama?? Georgia?? Mississippi?? South Carolina??

Gosh, some of you Kali boys SURE are a near-sighted bunch of peckerwoods, ain't ya?!?!

They get a little pissy when you mention the "C" word on this site, they seem defensive for some reason.

To help the OP out: I will gladly accept the OP's money, buy the ES in my name, ride 7,500 miles within 90 days, and then transfer title to the OP.
smile.png

I see that as a Win-Win-Win. For me, the OP and the People's Republic of California.

Erm.....Florida??? Hawaii?? Arizona?? New Mexico?? Texas?? Louisiana?? Alabama?? Georgia?? Mississippi?? South Carolina??

Gosh, some of you Kali boys SURE are a near-sighted bunch of peckerwoods, ain't ya?!?!
Every place has its pros and cons. If it's all paradise, why didn't you move? There is always a better place than where we are, for sure...

Thanks for your inputs. Now let's get back to regular programming...

They get a little pissy when you mention the "C" word on this site, they seem defensive for some reason.
Opinions are like asshole, thanks for showing yours, fucker

keep talking shit about California while you open the garage door and only look at your bike.now get out there and shovel some fkn snow or fix your leaky moss covered fkn roof or scrape the deer guts out of your grill.stay out of California,no pussys allowed.

Every place has its pros and cons. If it's all paradise, why didn't you move? There is always a better place than where we are, for sure...

Thanks for your inputs. Now let's get back to regular programming...

Capitalism working the way it does, I fear that it might be a while before you find a new ES in The Golden State for less than MSRP. It is the first model year which contains the new ES features, and dealers generally don't offer discounts without a strong economic reason - like supply exceeding demand, which isn't likely to be the case any time soon.

I would be pleased to find out that I'm wrong - and happy for you, too.

As to the question about why anyone would live in California? I can only speak for myself - and won't hijack your thread to do so (even though I was born in Pasadena).

Happy hunting.

The last thing a Californian wants to be told is how stupid he is for living here. Hence the venom.

I would consult the DMV website, read between the lines and see if you actually can put the 7500 miles on it before registering it here. Remember, the miles don't have to be put on outside California, just put on before registering it.

Claim you were working for 3 months in the D&H state and purchased it because it was a good deal.

They want to make it difficult but not impossible.

A better idea would be to move to another State where the people aren't so touchy about their "soon to be Detroit" like living conditions.

I'm with Iggy...buy from D&H and take a long vacation touring the country before going back to Kali.
bike.gif

*Escaped from Kali in 2004; no regrets. ;)