Replacing headlamp bulbs on Gen III?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard (or read somewhere) they're non-replaceable.

Gotta get a red 2014ES to get a Gen III with replaceable headlight bulbs.

Actually want to install Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs. Used these for many years on Honda ST1100 & 1300. Same wattage as stock, just whiter & brighter. No additional load on wires or connectors, no additional heat.

What kind of lifetime have you managed to get with these? Most of the "high output" bulbs have the same nominal wattage but the filaments run hotter resulting in reduced lifetime (and higher lumen output).

On the ST1300, these bulbs go about 20k miles before one burns out. I buy them in pairs and always replace both at once. Since I ride 14-18k per year I usually just replace them each winter.

I carry the used one the didn't burn out yet as a spare to use while on a trip. Probably won't bother with that on the FJR since they are so much harder to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Norm, I imagine it's similar to previous Gen's, might want to consult the owner's manual...... I usually do mine from the top, but some have done it from the bottom..... basically, turn the forks, unplug the headlight connector, pull off the big rubber boot (should be a tab on top or bottom, might be tough the first time, take your time), with a flashlight, look at how the bulb retaining wire is clipped in, then reach in and unclip it, change bulb, re-clip the wire retainer. What I do is put a light film of silicone grease (or silicone spray)around the large ID of the boot, and at the ID of the bulb piece so it slips on easier and comes off easier next time. Don't need much. Then reinstall the rubber boot, might have to push around the OD evenly until it slips in. You'll know if it seated properly. Tight quarters for sure.... if may help to remove the plastic dash panels, but I've done it without removing them.

Found a tutorial with pics of the process on a gen II (2009 I think) on an Aussie site. My owners manual says nothing other than take it to the dealer. Haven't bought a shop manual yet, but it won't necessarily offer any enlightenment.

Funny story- I needed to remove the carbs on my '86 Kaw Concours once and saw no way to do it, so I ordered the shop manual for about $60. When it arrived I looked in the table of contents and sure enough there was a section titled 'carburetor removal', so I eagerly went to the page. The first sentence read, "After the carburetors are removed..." Since then, I have always looked around for other info before diving into a shop manual.

Owned a m/c shop back in the late 70s-early 80s and did lots of service work back then, so am sure I can figure it out- just looking to see if there are any non-obvious shortcuts. The dash panels will have to come out on the gen III to allow my fat fingers to get in there.

Capture_zpse1062988.jpg

I swapped mine out a few months ago for Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.

You have to remove the center plastic over the gauges, the battery cover and then there is a test coupler and a fuse/relay you have to pull off their mounts to get to the RH bulb. The LH bulb you can actually do without removing anything if you have small hands.

You have to remove the center plastic over the gauges, the battery cover and then there is a test coupler and a fuse/relay you have to pull off their mounts to get to the RH bulb.
you gotta be farking kidding me.

You have to remove the center plastic over the gauges, the battery cover and then there is a test coupler and a fuse/relay you have to pull off their mounts to get to the RH bulb.
you gotta be farking kidding me.
Nope. If you have the newer battery panel or modded one then you wont need to remove the center panel. I think the '14s have the modified battery panel so you'd be good with just removing the battery panel and the test coupling and relay/fuse.

You have to remove the center plastic over the gauges, the battery cover and then there is a test coupler and a fuse/relay you have to pull off their mounts to get to the RH bulb. The LH bulb you can actually do without removing anything if you have small hands.
Are the Gen III bulbs H4 like the previous generations? It's not listed in the manual, just wattage. I used the ultras on my 06 and they gave good light.

Thanks,

I replaced on my 13' bulbs by Philips Xtreme Vision. Procedure is exactly the same as on genII. Not two much space there for your hands but posible to manage without dissasembling anything except rubber cover. Bulbs are H4 - same as on genII.

Are the Gen III bulbs H4 like the previous generations? It's not listed in the manual, just wattage. I used the ultras on my 06 and they gave good light.

Thanks,
Yes

I swapped mine out today with Silverstar Ultras. Big difference in output and looks better with the white light they put out versus the yellow light of the stock bulbs. It was pretty easy. You have to have small hands and be able to work by feel.

Flash