OEM Rear shock interchangeability - Gen 1&2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgross

Recusant Infidel
Reaction score
I've searched and found references to moving a Wilbers shock from Gen 1 to a Gen 2.

I've looked up the OEM part numbers, and the first three digits are different for OEM shocks for Gen 1 & Gen 2.

Does anyone know if a Gen 2 OEM will work on a Gen 1?

Thanks for any direction.

All the OEM shocks (non ES) are interchangeable between generations. The only differences are the spring rates and internal damping. In addition, I have yet to hear of an aftermarket shock that is not interchangeable. The GEN2 and GEN3s have longer swing arms so they need about a 50 lb heavier spring than what would be needed on a GEN1.

FWIW I bought a used shock off a forum member that had it on a Gen II bike and put it on the 2005 with no problems. I even swapped my OEM shock onto a 2006 when my friends shock blew oil all over the swing arm.

I'm looking at upgrading the shock in my 03 and I see the Ohlins website lists two models of shock for the Gen 1 and three models for Gen 2 bikes.

If I understand the previous discussion correctly, Gen 2 models will fit Gen1 bikes, but the Gen1 Shocks may not fit Gen 2 bikes because of the ABS module and require the reservoir to be mounted externally. If this is the case, just wondering what the difference would be between the YA 056 and the YA 053 as both appear are listed as being Type S46DR1 with no external reservoir.

Sorry if it seems I'm beating a dead horse here, but I want to confirm that the Gen 2 shocks will fit my 03 as the local distributor here in Canada only lists the Gen 2 products in their catalogue.

Thanks for your help.