Does vib at 2500 and 3500 signal a problem on a 2013?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmwave

Reaction score
My purchased new 2013 has 3600miles on it since last April.

Dealer checked the TB Sync at the 600mile service, everything seemed normal..The first 1000miles or so the ride were glass smooth, no noticeable vibration.

Sometime after that i started to notice vibration at 2500rpm and 3500rpm. At all other engine speeds that '500rpm' pattern is not repeated, things are pretty 'smooth'.

Over the last 2000miles the vibration has progressively worsened and is now starting to make the bike somewhat unpleasant to ride.

I have a Gel pad custom seat from Rich and I can clearly feel the 'resonance' vib through the seat and when I tuck my heels into the subframe.

My hands are also getting a little vibration numb even through thick winter gloves.

I fitted Canyon Cages and have Kouba lowering links at 400miles but neither made any noticeable change, the bike remained nearly vib free in regular riding.

I've had two separate dealers free rev the bike through 4000rpm and while they felt the vib at those revs they both claimed it was no worse than 'normal'.

Is this normal for an inline 4, an unpleasant vib at those rev points, and one that definitely seems to be getting worse on a 2013?

Does anyone else with a 2013 have a similar experience?

Thanks.

My purchased new 2013 has 3600miles on it since last April.
Dealer checked the TB Sync at the 600mile service, everything seemed normal..The first 1000miles or so the ride were glass smooth, no noticeable vibration.

Sometime after that i started to notice vibration at 2500rpm and 3500rpm. At all other engine speeds that '500rpm' pattern is not repeated, things are pretty 'smooth'.

Over the last 2000miles the vibration has progressively worsened and is now starting to make the bike somewhat unpleasant to ride.

I have a Gel pad custom seat from Rich and I can clearly feel the 'resonance' vib through the seat and when I tuck my heels into the subframe.

My hands are also getting a little vibration numb even through thick winter gloves.

I fitted Canyon Cages and have Kouba lowering links at 400miles but neither made any noticeable change, the bike remained nearly vib free in regular riding.

I've had two separate dealers free rev the bike through 4000rpm and while they felt the vib at those revs they both claimed it was no worse than 'normal'.

Is this normal for an inline 4, an unpleasant vib at those rev points, and one that definitely seems to be getting worse on a 2013?

Does anyone else with a 2013 have a similar experience?

Thanks.
Check torque on those canyon cage mount points, then check all other engine to frame mount points. A loose engine/frame bolt can cause weird vibrations.

A slight buzz isn't anything abnormal on an inline four, but it usually occurs @ 4000 - 5000 RPM

If possible, try to find another fjr of any Gen to compare

You may be lugging the engine. FJRs are geared fairly tall.

Try downshifting to get the revs up a bit. She ain't a cruiser.

No this is not normal. Sounds like something might have loosened up. You should still be under warranty and the issue started after their service work so I'd take it back and have them ride it, diagnose it then fix it!

+1 on checking the torque on the engine mount bolts. Only "unpleasant" engine vibes i ever got from my '07 happened when my sliders were backing out. My Yamaha tech torqued them, and never had a problem since.

careful on the torquing of the slider bolts. The aluminum that those steel bots are threaded into is very ez to strip. And yes, the vibes are from an engine mount bolt working loose.

My bike and a friends both have a very slight buzz at those rpm's. It's mainly felt in the seat. Personally I think it's normal for my bike. But it's not a problem for me because I never let the rpm's get that low anyway.

Bike is breaking in a bit since new. I'd do another throttle body sync if you can't live with it...... hate to pay the dealer just for that though. Put some more miles on, say double what you have first.

You can do the TBS at the tech meet if you don't have the equipment. I have a carbtune.

Listen to Auburn ^^^^
rolleyes.gif
Bring it to Tech Day Stephen and turn us loose on it!

Something doesn't sound normal. FJR's typically have a buzz at 4 - 4200 rpm, everywhere else they're relatively smooth.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed a 2500 rpm vibration when I took delivery of my 013. Thought it may be a problem. Thought a TBS may be needed. But, I forgot about it. I guess the vib. is still there, but now at 12k, this scooter is so smooth, who cares. Had a couple of K1200RSs that were ultra smooth, but on a bad day, I thought I could feel an objectionable vib.. It was all in my head. Ride that mother like you stole it.

Seems to me I have read here that the engine bolts need to be torqued specifically, necessarily, first one side, then the other. Not sure which side first, though - right, then left? I'm assuming the cages you used make use of engine mount bolts. When I installed my sliders, I recollect the instructions also were quite specific about first torqing one side, then the other.

Seems to me I have read here that the engine bolts need to be torqued specifically, necessarily, first one side, then the other. Not sure which side first, though - right, then left? I'm assuming the cages you used make use of engine mount bolts. When I installed my sliders, I recollect the instructions also were quite specific about first torqing one side, then the other.
I think you might be right Big Sky on the proper procedure when installing the mounting bolts. Its good to hear from you.

BS, err, Big Sky is right, there is a sequence that the bolts need to be tightened in. The bolts are first snugged, then torqued. The pattern does not follow 'side A, then side B' or go around the engine in a clockwise fashion. You have to use the FSM and bounce around to the various 8 locations that get torqued.

BS, err, Big Sky is right, there is a sequence that the bolts need to be tightened in. The bolts are first snugged, then torqued. The pattern does not follow 'side A, then side B' or go around the engine in a clockwise fashion. You have to use the FSM and bounce around to the various 8 locations that get torqued.
^^^^^

If ANYBODY knows about engine vibrations...it's ^^^THIS guy.

:)

The other thing you shouldn't rule out is those OEM tires (cupping).... BT021's are crap!
This was one of my first thoughts as well but then I thought “it’s an RPM-dependent thing, not speed-dependent.” Based on that I’m inclined to think the guys pointing to the canyon cage install/engine mount issues are probably on the right track.

Listen to Auburn ^^^^
rolleyes.gif
Bring it to Tech Day Stephen and turn us loose on it!
Something doesn't sound normal. FJR's typically have a buzz at 4 - 4200 rpm, everywhere else they're relatively smooth.

--G
Interesting. My bike is smooth as silk from 3000 and up to redline.

Latest posts