BBG1500 Attempt on 3/21/2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesseld

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I'm currently planning out a BBG1500 trip for next week, and was wondering if anyone had any input on my plans. Here is the route from Google maps, showing my planned gas stops as well. I'm using the same gas stops outbound and inbound for simplicity.

https://goo.gl/maps/j2FKV

I plan on leaving Phoenix just after midnight on 3/21 morning. This puts me in Las Cruces by 7:00am local time, then on to Ozona, TX, then back to Las Cruces by about 7:00pm. Based on other input I've seen, night riding in west Texas should be avoided due to animals on the road. Not that there can't be animals on the road at any time and any where, but it seems to be a problem in west Texas. All my riding in the dark will be between Phoenix and Las Cruces, then from Las Cruces back to Phoenix. I've ridden this stretch in the dark twice already, so i know pretty much what to expect. I couldn't afford to add the Clearwater lights I wanted, but I am upgrading my stock headlight bulbs with a set of PIAA Xtreme White bulbs, which should help some.

I am going to stop south of Phoenix at about 1521 miles for a gas receipt just in case I'm getting close on time, then continue on to the gas station near my house for the final receipt.

Any input would be appreciated!

Don

Your lights will be fine for interstate riding at nominal speed. So much better than many other stock headlights in my opinion, but we could always use more light.

Looks like a fine route to me. You'll have to be honest with yourself about working through that normal circadian rhythm at 2-3 AM. I know nothing about your routine, body, or experience functioning then but there is a lot of science out there on this. West Texas deer aren't that exciting to me, you are right that there could be animals anywhere. West Texas has far fewer animal density than some places up north and in Appalacians. I popped into Canada and saw 100 deer per five miles consistently and the occasional moose. Yikes!

So back to your plan, I think it's sound and you are thinking about the right things ahead of time. I tend to not plan out fuel stops, but I know a lot of folks do.

Have a great ride.

Looks like a simple and straightforward ride. You've thought about what needs thinking about. Don't dilly dally at the gas stops and git 'er done!

I am a fan of the plain vanilla route for a BBG...looks like you've got that figured.

I also echo RiderX's comment above about sleep cycles. Back when I worked 2nd shift and overnights, the thought of starting a trip after midnight wasn't so strange. These days--not so much.

I would rather be as fresh as possible mentally and physically than ride exhausted just to go through a particular stretch in daylight, but that's just me.

Get on it, stay on it, finish strong, and remember to write a ride report when it's all over!

All the best,

Shane

Two pieces to a ride and you've done the first one, now ride the plan and you'll have it!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

--G

I'm no expert on El Paso, but you might want to consider hitting Las Cruces a couple hours later. What I do know about El Paso is it's traffic kinda sucks and dealing with traffic when you're a bit tired from an early start can be pretty draining. But like jwhite said, it looks like a pretty simple there and back ride, best of luck to you.

Enjoy the ride, and enjoy the sleep afterwards even more.

Las Cruces traffic will be light. El Paso traffic almost always sucks. Those people can't drive for shit, so just watch yourself.

On the way back, make sure you stay on I-10 as you get back into Cruces. If you somehow find yourself on the east side of the University and see the football filed to your left and "A Mountain" to your right, that means you are on I-25. It can be easy to miss, but your GPS should give you fair warning.

Good luck. Oh yeah...NM State Police LOVE writing tickets around Lordsburg. Make sure you're no more than 10 over through there.

I've done that ride several times going cross country in winter from San Diego to Chicago. I've never done it as part of an IBA ride but I know those roads well. On I 10 from El Paso going east to I 20 the speed limit is 80 and no one is going 80. The flow of traffic goes at least 90. It's extremely desolate and on the east bound leg you're going down in altitude substantially. RiderX is right there aren't more deer there then in many places I've gone. Hotrodzilla is also right the New Mexico state police love writing speeding tickets. I stay within less then 10 MPH of the limit on I 10 everywhere in New Mexico. The other comments are also right Las Cruces doesn't have much of a rush hour, but El Paso has an awful rush hour. I'd try to plan to be going through El Paso either before 7 AM or after 9 AM. It is also easy to accidentally end up on I 25 instead of I 10 and that's the kind of mistake that can screw up an IBA ride. My recollection is that it's about 20 to 30 minutes from Las Cruces to El Paso.

As you also know you're riding through some very desolate places so making sure that your bike is in tip top mechanical shape before leaving is critical. Don't count on having a cell signal on I 10 in West Texas.

GOOD LUCK!!! HAVE FUN!!!

Thank you to everyone that has responded! I've changed up a few things, and am still considering my start time based on your comments. I'll post up a ride report when I get back.

Thanks again!

Don

Having done a SS1000 from Houston to Ft Stockton and back my only comment on your route is that you will be riding into the sun going east. Make sure you have some heavy duty sunglasses. If I remember right there is not much in Ozna, just get gas and go.

Hey Don!

Still planning to take off tonight?

If so, are you going to use any type of tracking (Spotwalla?) so that we can follow along?

All the best,

Shane

I successfully completed the BBG1500 with no problems or incidents! Well, I did have a steady clear liquid leak as I was backing down the driveway, but it turned out that it was just my camelback water bladder in my tank bag leaking through a loose hose connection. Freaked me out! I ended up leaving about 2-1/2 hours late because I felt I hadn't slept enough, so I reset the alarm and went back to sleep. I bought the starting gas at 2:30am and hit the road, and finished at 1:33am. I had really planned out this ride and the gas stops to avoid any wasted time, and I stuck to the plan perfectly. Most of my stops were for 10 - 15 minutes, but a few were longer due to things like receipts not printing at the pump, and taking a few extra minutes to eat some snacks and call the wife. I was pretty darn tired at the final gas stop, and found it a little difficult to step off the bike. I'll post a pic of me later at the final gas stop, I look beat down. All in all, this was a very successful trip, and mostly stress free due to pre-planning.

Here are my overall numbers:

Total miles 1524

total time 23 hours 3 minutes

Riding time 20 hours 14 minutes

Stopped time 2 hours 48 minutes

Average moving speed 75mph

Overall average speed 66mph

Observations:

1. El Paso sucks. On the return trip, I went through there at about 8:00 pm local time, and it was like rush hour. Add in road construction everywhere, and sucky road surface, plus an amazing amount of roadside brightly lighted signs, and I was very happy to have El Paso in my mirrors.

2. 80 mph speed limit in Texas is good! I actually passed a highway patrol SUV at about 90mph that was poking along at 70mph in the left lane. I think I woke him up... He didn't pursue me. He shouldn't have been in the left lane anyway, since that lane is for passing ONLY.

3. I'm still amazed at how quiet, smooth, and effortlessly the FJR moves along at 90mph and maybe above that speed.

4. I didn't see any deer at all, but I did scare a goat away from the highway by honking at him. It made me giggle.

5. Although the goat was the only live animal I saw the whole trip, I did see a bunch of hunks of bloody meat on the road. Kind of exciting when you fly by them at night without seeing them ahead of time. I need better lights.

6. I was extremely lucky with the light cloud cover the entire day. Both sunrise and sunset were muted by the clouds, so visibility wasn't an issue.

7. I did use Spotwalla, but forgot to post the link here, sorry. My wife got a kick out of following along on the Spotwalla site.

8. XM radio is my friend.

9. All I ate on the ride was jerky, mixed nuts (salt free), M&Ms, and a protein bar. Just drank water from my camelback, and a few low sugar Gatorades. I wouldn't suggest this diet for a multi day ride, but it works fine for me as a one day thing.

10. Finally, thank you again to everyone that helped with advice and encouragement. I do appreciate it.

Don

Rock on, ride well done. +1 on jerky and power bars (I favor Builder Bars) when trying to optimize time.

Pics!

Congratulations Don! Sounds like your planning paid off.

I've tried eating while riding, but don't quite have the hang of it yet. A flip up helmet did save me a lot of time during stops. I used a regular full face on my first two LD rides. It was no fun trying to cram jerky and power bars up the front of the helmet.

My wife likes to track my location on Spotwalla. The first time I used Bubbler GPS, she didn't realize it doesn't update unless there is a cell phone signal. Lot's of dead zones in TX. I had a lot of worried text messages from her asked why I was stopped in the middle of nowhere.

Congratulations on a ride well done! I look forward to seeing whatever pictures you care to post. My wife and I are planning our first "official" Saddle Sore for sometime this summer.