PAIR removal on 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
Got to the PAIR removal on the 2014 ES, and ran across some interesting things. The removal was very straight forward. I had the Wynpro covers to put on instead of plugging the OEM stuff. To plug the fitting at the airbox, I used the aluminum plug and clamp that was on the PAIR plumbing that I think is used on the CAL models.

DSC00675_zps53ea3d48.jpg

The hose at the right had the plug and clamp on it.

DSC00676_zps760e0feb.jpg

Then I cut off just enough hose that went on the airbox fitting to accommodate the plug, the clamp, and the rubber clamp cover. I shouldn't have to worry about the hose drying out since these bits were made to live in this environment. It is much cleaner now.

The things that look different in the engine bay compared to the 08, are that the airbox looks different, I can't see where to adjust the TB's during a TB sync, and where the spark plugs go, there are no "high tension" wires to the plugs! Whats up with that?

DSC00678_zps51f8081e.jpg

Can't answer the TBS adjust-screw-location question, but there are no high-tension leads because each plug has its own coil. It's called a "coill-over-plug" system.

2264_15lo.jpg

Nice job,

Is it me or did the water tube change also. Its been awhile since I have had the tank up. I will be replacing the plugs soon so it won't be long til I remember again.

Dave

Did you notice any difference when you took it off?
Biggest difference is no more decel popping through the Two Brothers slip ons. There is not really any performance benefit other than the loss of the popping through the pipes when decelerating which is more noticeable with aftermarket pipes. It does clean up the top of the engine especially if you get the Wynpro block off plates. And it makes it easier to work on the engine changing plugs, doing a TBS sync, or checking valves. Really not necessary, but for us anal retentive types, it is worth it! BTW those slip ons really sound nice....not obnoxious, but have a nice deep sound.

I have the Two Brothers on my 11 and did notice a lot less popping on decel when I took it off, didn't know if the genIII was any different. Still get some around 3-4k, and they seem a little less loud with it off (could just be me)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't answer the TBS adjust-screw-location question, but there are no high-tension leads because each plug has its own coil. It's called a "coill-over-plug" system.
2264_15lo.jpg
So are there traditional iridium plugs under those caps, or what? I am still waiting for my service manual to come in.

Nice job,

Is it me or did the water tube change also. Its been awhile since I have had the tank up. I will be replacing the plugs soon so it won't be long til I remember again.

Dave
Coolant tube appears to no longer have a small nipple branching off with a small diameter hose just above the main hose at left.

A coil over system means that each spark plug, no matter what type, has its own coil. Many cars have done that for years. There are standard plugs beneath them, but it changes the configuration up top.

Instead of having a single coil that runs all the plugs in order, like a high tech distributor cap, each plug has its own independent coil. It makes for better firing and better fuel use. It also means if a coil goes out, only that one plug will stop working. It also helps eliminate electrical "noise" brought on by bad plug wires. All the wires, we can see, do is tell the coil to fire.

This new system is why the GenIII FJRs don't have the wasted spark the GenI and GenIIs have.

Aw Hell, meant to link this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_coil#Modern_ignition_systems

Last edited by a moderator:
Bogus, your pics are gone and I really would like to see them since I will be doing this when I get my covers in a few days. Any chance you can re-post them or PM me and I'll reply with my email address so you can send them to me?

Nevermind. I found pics elsewhere and got this completed in about an hour and a half. Now I'm tackling removal of the plugs - trying to get the coils off the top of them for the first time...