More fun with Plasti Dip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
As some of you might remember, I used Plasti Dip to coat the lower front cowling of my 14, and then did the backside of my wind screen.

DSC00481_zps76f8d078.jpg

DSC00500_zps687a02a0.jpg

Some of you voiced concern over not being able to see through the wind screen. I sold a few farkles off my traded in 08, and ordered the Cee Baileys dark tinted sport shield. Probably good to be able to see through the screen! So I hoped that the easy removal claim by Plasti Dip was true. Well it absolutely was! Although it was a little tough getting an edge up enough to start the peeling process, once you get enough to start peeling, it came off in one sheet. I would compare it to pulling off vinyl paint protection.

So now I have some more options since I am sure that I can remove it if I don't like it or if I f#@$ up! Decided to do the tank trim since I didn't have much luck with the CF wrap. I found the Plasti Dip, and the Glossifier at Walmart of all places!

DSC00684_zps60e115dd.jpg

I was very pleased with the results. I think it is a very durable finish, and if it gets worn, I can simply peel and replace! I am also going to pull off the lower cowling and use the glossifier on it since I didn't have that at the time.

DSC00680_zps606be02f.jpg

DSC00683_zps5ccc7a72.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you weren't able to get the CF vinyl applied. But, I like what you did with the Plasti Dip! I too protected the lower cowl but I used 3M Paint Defender, which seems to work and remove similarly.

I may try coating the inside part of the windshield that is impossible to reach and keep clean.

Like the tank trim in black. Don't have my 14 yet, but I'm thinking the bags look like a lot of red sticking out, have you thought about coating them? Thinking it might look good in all black and protect from boot scuffs.

Like the tank trim in black. Don't have my 14 yet, but I'm thinking the bags look like a lot of red sticking out, have you thought about coating them? Thinking it might look good in all black and protect from boot scuffs.
I coated the bags on my 04 with Duplicolor spray in bed liner. It's not removable, but easily touched up. I never worry about scratching them. If you want them to look glossy just wipe on "back to black" otherwise the color will be semi gloss. I also used the same stuff on the lower cowling of my GL1800 Goldwing and the mirror backs. It offset the Orange color very nicely.

Great job on the tank trim. I have a black trim piece off my GenII bike. I bought the red side panels and the combo of black trim and red side panels make the bike look so much better. For the cowling under the radiator, I used the carbon fibre adhesive material. Complementing that is a carbon fibre fender extender.

Great job on the tank trim. I have a black trim piece off my GenII bike. I bought the red side panels and the combo of black trim and red side panels make the bike look so much better. For the cowling under the radiator, I used the carbon fibre adhesive material. Complementing that is a carbon fibre fender extender.
What year of the gen ll's have the black tank trim piece? And was it an A or an AE model?

I think it must have been just the 09 since I had an 08 A.. Was thinking of ordering the trim in the metallic black, but will see how the Plasti Dip holds up.

My limited experience with Plasti-Dip spray showed that it isn't all that durable of a finish. It may look rugged, but it isn't. Looks good when you first lay it down, and really easy to apply it, but it doesn't take much agitation to cause snags in the soft finish. But that can be a good thing, as a sacrificial layer to protect the finish underneath.

My one caveat is that it will probably require refinishing fairly often, so you'll probably only want to apply it to places and parts that can be easily removed for a re-do.

It does come off fabulously easily.

I'm with Fred. That's how the parts on my car are that are plastidipped. I'd be interested to see how long it lasts on that part since it sees a lot of contact with the rider. Especially us shorter riders.

Put about 110 miles on since I put on the Plasti Dip on the tank trim, and I think that it is not going to work out. I think that on a part like that with a lot of agitation from the crotch area, it is going to wear pretty fast. I think the lower cowling part that I did will work out better since it just gets road spluge on it. I think I am gonna peel it off there and try one more time to put on the carbon fiber look vinyl. If that doesn't work out, I will order the 09 A tank trim in metallic black.

Oh Lordy, agitation from the crotch area? Why couldn't you post that on a Friday???
biggrin.png

Put about 110 miles on since I put on the Plasti Dip on the tank trim, and I think that it is not going to work out. I think that on a part like that with a lot of agitation from the crotch area, it is going to wear pretty fast. I think the lower cowling part that I did will work out better since it just gets road spluge on it. I think I am gonna peel it off there and try one more time to put on the carbon fiber look vinyl. If that doesn't work out, I will order the 09 A tank trim in metallic black.
The key to getting the CF vinyl to mold and stick to the curves and dips is to use heat to make the vinyl pliable and strechable. Good luck!