FZ1 Mirrors OEM vs. Overseas FZI replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Maybe repeated somewhere, but not to my knowledge. MY REVIEW IS:

I purchased some FZ1 mirrors to put on my 08' a year ago.

They fit fine and gave wonderful visibility over the stock mirrors on the FJR....(Everyone knows that)

Well went the version from China (FZ1 replacement) they were about $35.00 for the pair vs. FZ1 OEM running over $100 per mirror. Immediately they would shift in the wind at high speed and not hold their positioning. Once I folded them, that was a wrap on that. They never would securely stay in place. At speeds I would have to reach out and push them back into place. They would flex at the folding hinge and not stay in place. I decided to use blind spot round mirrors on the glass. Well putting the right one on, just slightly pressing the self sticky back onto the mirror, the darn mirror just cracked. (WTH!). Had to put a replacement mirror piece on top. Ok, maybe my big hands just pushed to hard.... on me. I tried a lot of measures to get the mirrors to stay in place while riding. I even used clamps on the hinge area, but that helped a little and I certainly could not fold them in.

I have been surfing the internet trying to find a set of FZ1-OEM mirrors to buy. Missed the a couple of forum sales too; got to them too late. Well, last week a company had a used pair of OEM mirrors for $49.00 shipped on Ebay. I bought them right out as well as expedited shipping.

As I was giving the FJR a major tune up on Monday in the garage; the mail man brought the box directly to me. Great!, just in time as I was gearing up for my ride to Daytona on Wednesday. Right out the box, the mirrors were in excellent shape, not a noticeable scratch. Both sets look identical from afar. At touching you could tell the difference in the glass quality and weight. I installed them on the FJR and they looked great, just as the others. Difference was they didn't move at all during riding. I folded them a couple times on the trip and they go exactly back where you had them set. 2k miles with them and they are rock solid. I suppose that's what quality means. The mirror housing rotates up/down, versus the other set that moved on a swivel.

I can't speak for all aftermarket replacements just those I ordered from China. Test driving the FJR 14 ES in Daytona I could tell the mirror issue is still there on the FJR, I could not see anything behind me but my elbows. I reckon they will solve that next time. Well, that's it.

Lesson is..If you are considering the two; then this may help....If you can snag OEM FZ1's it's worth it.

I have heard some people had great results with the replacements, but several companies make them, I only tried the ones in China.

Every person I know that ordered the cheap FZ1 knockoffs hated them. They all replaced them with the OEMs. So by trying to save a few dollars, they spent even more and added frustration. This has been well documented, so if you do it, you have it coming.

FZ1 mirrors are also considerably less than FJR OEM mirrors. A set of them can be had for around $100, new.

I also started with the cheap knockoffs. Not only did they fold in at speed, the glass was distorted around the edges.

Last edited by a moderator:
LIkewise, in our quest to replace the SV650 mirrors with something a bit more stylish, we tried a couple of the cheap chinese knockoffs. These wouldn't stay put in the wind either. Ended paying 3x more for a quality set with built in LED's.... these say put, but the LED's were too dim to be usefull, so we had to keep the stock turn signals. Oh well.... yeah, get the OEM FZ1 mirrors. Their quality is way worth it.

I have the OEM FZ1 mirrors on my 14ES. I moved them from my 07. I bought them from a FL web retailer for $39ea. They are Yamaha OEM mirrors shipped in the Yamaha sealed boxes. Most valuable farkle on my bikes!!

I'm with art. Most valued farkle on my bike. Love em. Short OEM FJR mirrors =Elbows and knuckles. FZ1 OEM mirrors I see nothing but what's behind the bike. Greatness.

GP

I have the OEM FZ1 mirrors on my 14ES. I moved them from my 07. I bought them from a FL web retailer for $39ea. They are Yamaha OEM mirrors shipped in the Yamaha sealed boxes. Most valuable farkle on my bikes!!
Art, can you share the link to the Fl. web retailer who's selling them for $39 each? Partzilla is selling them for ~$62 each

Thanks

I dunno, that $39 price is right in line with the Chinese EMGO brand. I have not seen new OEM Yamaha parts much under $60.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I apparently did not keep the receipt. It was three or more years ago. I do recall they were $39ea and the seller was in Miami. I note PartShark.com is selling them for $54.76ea. I have dealt with them recently and they provide a fast and reliable service.

Gen 1 FZ1 2005 and older, the FZ01 Fourm is a great place to look for mirrors, many guys go with bar end mirrors.

Why won't the Gen II (2006+) FZ1 mirrors work? Is it that they mount up just fine but don't offer a decent view, or do they just not fit?

I ask because I'm looking for some FZ1 mirrors, but don't want to buy the wrong ones.

Thanks guys.

Do the aforementioned mirrors afford a better view around shoulders? Having a hard time seeing around mine.
Yes.

The FZ1 mirrors are a massive difference over the OEM mirrors.

Prices have gone up since this thread was started, but I bought OEM FZ1 mirrors from Bike Bandit with an AMA discount for about $75 each. That was the best price I had the patients to find at the time.

On a scale from worthless to worth it... Totally worth it.