FNG Gets tasked with Black Hills FJR Roundup - 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I post a little Intro and am immediately asked about organizing a FJR "Get Together" here in the Black Hills of SDS and WY.

I'll be glad to take this on, but I have too much on my plate in 2014.

So, how do we go about setting a date which fits in with all the other summer activities next summer?

The only time period we really need to avoid is the last week in July through the second Saturday in August as there is a slight conflict with a pre-established event, the Sturgis Rally.

ADMIN: If this should be in another place please move it there and let me know where it has been moved to.

Anyone interested in helping or providing guidance/advice please PM me.

Looking forward to meeting a lot of you in 2015!

John

There are so many events now days that you are not going to please everybody. Pick your dates and folks will show up. I do the Reuben Run in September. Usually the third weekend but this year its the 4th - 6th.

I would like to ride in your area so count me in.

I would be interested in the run as well! When is the weather there the best/ most predictable?

My 2015 calendar is pretty open at this point...
bike.gif

I think we will shoot for the last weekend in June , June 26-28, 2015.

I'll verify that there is no other big event which might conflict and will work on some rooms. There is a small family run motel that would be perfect within walking distance of down town and inexpensive.

Tolerant owner as well :)

Wow John! From your PM last night you certainly sound like a guy that has the connections, experience, and get after it attitude to handle something like this. I'm not sure I have ever seen a Forum member grab the bull by the horns with only two weeks experience on the FJRForum. I have been dreaming of organizing an FJR event like this in the Black hills area for a long time but have never even considered taking the first step.

If you look at a map of FJR events, the Black hills is smack dab in the middle of the underrepresented part of the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you all know this is typically "Cruiser Country", a lot of kool aide is consumed hereabouts.

That said, the riding in June is fantabulous!.

Weather is usually wonderful, there are no mosquitoes and the unwashed motor company worshiping hoards have yet to appear.

I need some help organizing and conducting a Rally, something I've never done or participated in.

Couple of real good routes, both around and through the Black Hills and I have a great scenic Iron Butt capable 1,000 mile loop over in Wyoming/Montana for those that are interested. This 1,024 mile loop could be done in 17 hours running the legal limit. Bottom line is it could be ridden in the day light!

Many National Parks and National Monuments within 2 hours ride.

I have to disagree with you John. I wouldn't be caught dead in the Black Hills on a Cruiser with no cornering clearance. Those roads are made for the FJR!

I have to disagree with you John. I wouldn't be caught dead in the Black Hills on a Cruiser with no cornering clearance. Those roads are made for the FJR!
I don't think he's saying that that part of the country was made for cruisers...just that they tend to populate the area...

Beautiful area to ride...

I don't think he's saying that that part of the country was made for cruisers...just that they tend to populate the area...

Beautiful area to ride...
Thanks Wheaton.

Beautiful and fun!

I assumed that’s what he meant; I was just trying to throw a little dry humor at it. I should have added a little winkkey smiley face so everyone knew I had my tongue in my cheek.
winksmiley02.gif
winksmiley02.gif

I think we will shoot for the last weekend in June , June 26-28, 2015. I'll verify that there is no other big event which might conflict and will work on some rooms. There is a small family run motel that would be perfect within walking distance of down town and inexpensive. Tolerant owner as well
smile.png
I would suggest adding the 25th in as well to give people two full days of exploring the Black hills before leaving Sunday.

I'm excited at the prospect of this ride and can't wait for it to warm up to get down there and preride some of the roads.

I just got most of this year's trips on the calendar and vacation requests made...can't believe I'm blocking one out for 2015! But happy to do it and looking forward to it!

15 months away and I'm already pumped for the Black Hills!

John, I'm at your service for what ever help you may need.