modifying the tail section

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzburgh

Reaction score
I know to most this is a love/hate & looks/function mod. I am on the love the looks side and am willing to sacrifice some water thrown in the air. I do have a rear hugger ordered which really helped on my last bike when I put a new undertail & relocated the license plate to the side of the bike. Here is some before/during/after shots.

Stock

IMAG0353_zpswj0jaszv.jpg

Tail cut and trimmed.

IMAG0368_zpsazzdv92j.jpg

New LED license plate bracket installed.

IMAG0369_zps5ic5xhcr.jpg

even with the undertail not modified...the tail section and rear lights get filthy..

but...to each is his own....doesn't look bad :}

I know to most this is a love/hate & looks/function mod. I am on the love the looks side and am willing to sacrifice some water thrown in the air.
I understand. I did the same thing to mine. I think the stock rear tail section is uglier than sin. We call it the "beaver tail". So yes I shaved my ladies beaver as well.
omg2.gif
coolsmiley02.gif
Looks mo betta.

I never "plan" on riding in the rain, but when it happens it does get a little more on the tail section but really doesn't make a ton of difference. For guys that want their FJR to look a little more sporty they'll do this. For the majority of FJR riders it's the last thing they'd ever consider messing with.

Mine was done by PO. In order to add protection I have started a collection of tag extensions. ss1k extension in route.

tagback.jpg

No I didn't chop it. PO = previous owner...

It was chopped when I bought it.

I am trying to fix it with IBA tag backs
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Huggers usually do not go far enough to the back of the wheel to help in any appreciable way. It's almost like they were designed to go backwards?

The water is picked up off the road and roosted up, or slung back at the following traffic, long before the wheel ever rotates around forward to the hugger. BTDT on a Ducati Monster with a tail tidy and hugger. Any ride in the rain left a wet stripe up your back.

Huggers will keep your shock cleaner, if that matters to you.
wink.png

Would not be a bad idea for folks to check their local regs for license plate light requirements when modifying back ends.

Marcus would look like Chip Hanauer coming down the back strech at the Seafair hydro races.

I cut the whole rear fender off mine and mounted the plate up agaist the taillight. I kept it and bolt it back on in the winter. I like the sportier look but still ride in rain, but here rain is very seasonal. I also have a rally cut down windscreen taht goes on for sportier rides. In fact it comes back off in about two more weeks.