Sunday - The WEAX almost got me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
There is a BMW Sport Touring group that meets every Sunday in Rapid City SD for Coffee and a ride. I decided to join them yesterday.

WEAX looked a little suspect as it was calling for Snow Showers Saturday evening but then clearing and the forecast called for mid-40's on Sunday morning at 0900 when i needed to leave Spearfish.

Sure enough, it snowed a little on Saturday evening, but when i checked the street and driveway at 0830 the road was near dry and there was no slick spots. 47F, no wind, good to go, Right?.....

Geared up and put the Handwarmers on 2, life was good. Got on the Interstate, a few damp patches but the driving lane was basically dry,

About 50 miles to Rapid City, first 20 through Sturgis, the situation remained the same, then as i crossed a little ridge the Temp plummeted to 36F and there was a little snow right on the edges of the road. Pavement was significantly more wet and my ass began to take a much firmer grip on the seat. At least the spray from the trucks and cars wasn't freezing to the back of the mirrors. Elected to push on, I'm no Pussy you know, may not be very smart but I'm a stubborn bastage.

About 10 minutes later road is dry and all is well, arrived right at 10:00 and met a good bunch of folks, about 12-14 showed ten of us rode. Sat and chewed the fat and wondered how you could lose a 777 in this day in age.

Nice ride home but no organized ride due to slick spots in the hills.

Had I thought to check the road on 511 before I left home i'm not sure I'd have ridden the Gray Ghost but all is well that ends well i guesssssss..............

Good advice on the 511 road info, how often do they update those, and how accurate are they? I have never called before.... maybe I should start.

My Wife and i move cars around the country for an Auto dealer. We use the 511 service all the time, It has been about 90% accurate in NV, AZ, UT, WY, CO, ND and SD.