Erixun's escapades...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erixun

My helmet is on too tight....
Reaction score
I am taking my first trip with the Feej tomorrow. I work a swing shift tonight, and in the morning I am taking off for Phoenix via Vegas. A few of my ex-military friends from the first gulf war are gathering and we are going camping. I haven’t seen some of these guys for more years than I want to admit, should be fun. I got the bike last August and while I took some smaller trips (500 miles or so) this is my first 1000+ round trip and multi day trip on a motorcycle, which is why I bought the bike in the first place!

I am sticking to the boring Interstates this trip for time travel sake. While technically this is a guy’s/reunion/camp trip, I am making this into my own motorcycle adventure. However, if history is to be learned from and given my/our past, I chose the word escapade to better describe what is about to take place.

It is projected to be only 30 tomorrow morning when I expect to be able to jet out of here, and if I can make it to St George UT, I should be fine. Because Vegas and Phoenix have both had 80 degree weather this year. (Side note: Dicks, with a capitol D.)

I know I over packed, (I even packed YESTERDAY , I am so excited) but just can’t bring myself to lose some of the gear- ‘I’m gonna need that’ keeps running through my mind. But I am taking a note pad, and anything that doesn’t get used during this six day trip- won’t be making another. So in essence I am thinking of this trip as a shakedown cruise of sorts for me. I am a list maker at heart, and have made enough lists to choke a goat. I know some hate lists, but for me, it is a way to ‘experience’ the trip many times over in my mind as I go through the motions. Also, I have to admit, I am a bit of boy scout as well, I like to go out in the middle of nowhere and not be seen by anyone, nor see anyone, and really like to be self-reliant, it kills me to need something and not have it. (I know, I know, cell phone and credit card is all you need….)

Bike is ready, had the service done on it about a month ago, checked the fluids, tires etc. Just waiting for the starting gun.

I plan on taking pics and posting them, and maybe even a video or two, if my techno tard ass can figure out how to post them. Maybe I will just take the easy way out and put a link to U-tube, whatever the case, wish me luck. See you on the other side.

IMG_0094_zps2d73bda2.jpg

Congrats on the first big trip, should be a blast. Make sure to post up a ride report when you get back.

1st long overnite trip and with the stock seat, should make for some commonly heard before discussion when you get back.

Enjoy and be safe :)

Wheaton- yep, already learned that lesson within the first month of owning this bike....

tire2_zps6249ef13.jpg

Top_Speed1- Will eventually upgrade the seat to a Laam or a Daylong, but for now I have an Airhawk that I cant decide to throw on or not, usually just wear some bike shorts with a little extra pad in it.

I'll bet that you won't use half the stuff you packed (hopefully including the patch kit and compressor).

I'll bet that you won't use half the stuff you packed (hopefully including the patch kit and compressor).
When I first started doing longer rides, I did the same thing (overpacking). With time and experience, you'll figure out what the real necessities are and it will be much simpler. Wishing you many (s)miles on your journey! B)

Over packing is a normal occurrence in the beginning. You will learn a lot about that from this trip and future trips.

On the other hand if there is one thing I hate to be its to be without.

Just remember a few things, ride safe, have fun and post up a ride report when you get back.

Looks like a good time. Of course you can really haul the mail on I-15 down to the state lane (80mph). My only advice--EVERY TIME you stop and get on/off the bike, be careful and take your time. If your foot slips with all that gear up high, it will go down...

One side benefit out of your fully loaded FJR...

...you should be able to wheelie like a banshee!!!
biggrin.png

Hey, I know all about overloading FJRs, I think I got you beat...the first Appalachian Camping meet I took everything.
biggrin.png

Sounds and looks like you are locked and loaded! Safe travels and enjoy the ride.

Looks like a good time. Of course you can really haul the mail on I-15 down to the state lane (80mph). My only advice--EVERY TIME you stop and get on/off the bike, be careful and take your time. If your foot slips with all that gear up high, it will go down...
SPUD, good advice, I noticed that when putting it up on the center stand. Didn't really expect that much resistance, as all the gear weighs ALOT less than the wife ( honey if you read this, then that last statement is worth at least 20 points!!) :) But then again, I never put the bike on the center stand or kick stand with her on it.

So I packed, made lists, got everything ready, did the services on the bike, had everything lined up. Or so I thought. About an hour after getting off work I began to get cold sweats, then the fever started, it was down hill from there. Within 4 hours I was ill. And not just a little ill, severely ill. Projectile fluids, the works. I was hopeful that it was 'something I ate' and would clear up in a couple of hours, but here I sit three days later, benched on the sideline couch penalty box. Sucks to say the least, the bike still sits in the garage all packed up, asking 'when?'

Never had any indicators that this was coming on, so no lesson to be learned, other than do not neglect the 'biological' factor in your rides, I took care of all the logistics, mechanics everything I thought about. Never dreamed of getting the flu at T-minus 7 hours. Bummer. I am thankful that I wasn't about 7 hours into the ride when it hit though, that would have sucked.

Aw man, what a bummer! But you're right... would've totally sucked had you embarked on your journey and had this start... silver linings I guess. ;) But the bike is all packed and ready to go when you get healthy again... there will be another day! Hope you feel better right quick! B)

It sucks to be sick as a dog.

It sucks worse to be sick as a dog in some bad hotel in the middle of a trip.

Get well, you are all packed up and ready for launch!

It sucks to be sick as a dog.
It sucks worse to be sick as a dog in some bad hotel in the middle of a trip.
+1

My bit of packing advice is that you can carry far more money than "stuff".

Every year my trips get longer but the amount of stuff I carry gets smaller. I think the "discovery" that most chain hotels have a coin operated washer and dryer hidden somewhere did me more good than anything. A small container of detergent, a roll of quarters and at most 3 days worth of clothes leaves me with a much lighter bike.

Getting sick like that sucks. Sorry man!! I hope you feel better though. I got sick in the middle of January. It took me to the middle of February to finally stop coughing. Whatever it is going around has been kicking everyone's ass and is apparently everywhere.