2014 Pioneer Days Marlinton, WV 7/11 - 7/13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Looking to get together again for this weekend. It has been a fun weekend in the past staying at the Old Clark Inn. I sent a request to them to find out what availability looks like. They usually fill up for the weekend. Festivities actually start on 7/9, but we just shoot for Friday through Sunday. Great riding during the day and block party Saturday.

Any interest?

https://www.pocahontascountywv.com/events/476/2014/july/the-48th-annual-pioneer-days

Block party with loose coal mining women all wondering around dwunk? Naaa, sounds like cwapp! ;)

Seriously, I might be In. 1-Day trip down for me is all.

Already got a response back from the inn and they said they have plenty of rooms available. I went ahead and reserved mine.

Already got a response back from the inn and they said they have plenty of rooms available. I went ahead and reserved mine.
So...I guess yer IN!
You are purty quick!
smile.png

I might be too. I'll wait until after the SEOhio Ramble to decide though...I'll know my calendar status better then.

I might be able to swing that. There aren't any pirate events that weekend, are there? I think that's why we canceled Pioneer Days last year. Pirate infested roads, rolling road blocks & such.

I think that Robert was talking about camping @ Watoga in July, also. I don't remember what the date is.

& good news... Old Clark Inn will likely be serving breakfast by that time because they sure weren't when we visited this last weekend. That is unless you consider coffee & scones breakfast... because that is all that was offered. Oh, there was juice, also. & I thought that Andrea was giving me a deal on our room rate because I've been a loyal customer over the last 5 or so years. Becoming a bit jaded towards OCI. I do not like how they make rules up at the last minute to suit themselves & do not tell customers about it... it isn't disclosed when making reservations nor is the information prevalent on their website if it's there at all.

fucking scones... (shaking my fucking head)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't checked on any Pirate events. Last years date just didn't work for me. This year looks much better. Even if there are Pirates in the area I am still doing it. You know we know a lot of roads they just don't ride. I know we can come up with some great riding with minimal Pirate impact.

As for OCI they do have a disclaimer on their website that, pretty much, everything is subject to change at their discretion. I can understand why they do that and so far it hasn't had any impact on me or my opinion of the place. Both Andrea and Nelson have been straight up with me.

I'm happy that you're happy, Bob. Go stay there now & have a fucking scone. lol!

& dude, you were the instigator for last year's pioneer days. I do remember seeing that you decided not to go since it was a couple of weeks past CFR which you were planning to attend... but you were the instigator for the trip. Nobody else followed up. I guess because it was pirate weekend.

If changes are made @ OCI it would be nice to tell customers about them when reservations are being made, don't you think? No breakfast is kind of a deal to me. Or do you feel it's much better to find out negatives as you check in? I'm not speaking of their policy to change rules whenever they feel like, here... more out of common decency something should be said. It's not like I'm a first timer there. I'll likely stay there again, tho. I have friends who like it there (you included). My opinion is becoming jaded about this place, though. It ain't that much cheaper then the competition any longer.

Oh, forgot to mention... the toilet was clogged in our suite. I guess someone got a little frisky with the TP. Due to the policy of "no other bathroom open" I about crapped my pants. I'm getting a little tired of that bathroom situation, too. It isn't the first time that I've had issue with their bathroom policy.

On a positive note: the fire pit was great.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="timk" data-cid="1133518" data-time="1395232825"><p>

Marlinton Motor Lodge also is OK to stay.</p></blockquote>

Eew. No.

Alright, here's the deal. We will be at the OCI for this weekend. If you want to come and visit fine. If you don't like the OCI that is fine too. If you want to ride with us that weekend and stay somewhere else that is also fine. I just put it out there as something we want to do not to discuss or bash the OCI. We have had a great time at this event in years past and staying at the OCI in the heart of it is part of what makes it special. Nothing like sitting on the front porch and listening to bluegrass being played from the loading dock of Southern States across the street!

I may be along for this. Then again I might not. Thanks for opening the floor Bob.