Non Sport Bike On-Track Training Day 8/19

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ed

Reaction score
Non-Sport Bike On-Track Training Day​
August 19​
Thompson Speedway​
Thompson, CT​
map: https:/goo.gl/maps/y3qJZ​

Tony's Track Days has graciously created a day of on-track instruction geared toward street riders. If you have been hesitant to do a Track Day then this is for you. Riders will be broken down into 3 groups: cruisers, tourers, and sport tourers. please read the notes on gear. You need a full face or modular helmet, motorcycle jacket & pants (no chaps). Gloves and boots should overlap the jacket and pants so that no skin is exposed when you are in the riding position.

I will definitely be attending on my Sport Tourer. I hope that you can join me. This is a great learning opportunity plus it is an absolute blast. Close your eyes and picture coming out of a curve onto a long straightaway with no cars, no obstacles, no enforcement, and no speed limit. Go at your own pace, get lots of classroom instruction, and work on the tips that you are given on the same curves lap after lap.

Link to the event on Tony's Track Days: http//www.tonystrackdays.com/category/9284/non-and-sportbike-on-and-track-training-day.htm

I am on the other left coast, otherwise I would join you. These bike do very well on the track, just make sure nothing is scraping hard. I had a blast a month or two ago. Enjoy and be safe.

They do great on the track. Riders will be groups with similar bikes. There will be no pros on Sportbikes to worry about. It is a great & unique learning opportunity.

I am on the other left coast, otherwise I would join you. These bike do very well on the track, just make sure nothing is scraping hard. I had a blast a month or two ago. Enjoy and be safe.

We have a nice group coming so far. Please let me know if I missed your name. Join us if you are able:

Paid List: https://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/5817/august-19th-and-connecticut.htm

Riders
Ed
Debbie
Bones
Kate
Mo
Matt Needham
Valkman
Linda Combe
John Pries (JohnManch)
Elizabeth Pries
Matt Young
Stephen Gallant
Gene Rebelo
Paul McBride
John Ferguson
Jeannine Condon

The requirements for this track day are relaxed. Unlike a sport bike track day, this is all you have to do:

TECH INSPECTION: For this day, we only want bikes that are in excellent road worthy condition with plenty of tire life remaining. There can be no leaking of any fluids - be sure to check your fork tubes! We will also be checking brake pads so be sure to have plenty of pad left. Riders will need to disable or tape over their brake light with blue painters tape. You do not need to disable your headlight or turn signals. You do need to cover your headlight and/or turn signals with blue painters tape if they are glass. Plastic lenses do not need to be taped. You do not need to clamp or wire your oil filter.

RIDING GEAR: Riders will be responsible for having full motorcycle gear. At a minimum, this means a motorcycle jacket and pants (no chaps). Gloves and boots should overlap the jacket and pants so no skin is exposed when you are in the riding position. Helmets must be FULL FACED. High quality modular helmets will be allowed but must remain in the locked position when on track. Hard back protectors are encouraged, but not mandatory.

This looks pretty cool, Ed.

Not sure why I did not see it earlier since I am subscribed to "Northeast" subforum. But, I am going to keep track of it and if it doesn't fill up early, and I get back from my july-august swing out west in one piece , this may be do-able.

It's a little pricey for just a single day session, but I'll just tell SWMBO it is only $50. Ssssh!! ;)

This looks pretty cool, Ed.
Not sure why I did not see it earlier since I am subscribed to "Northeast" subforum. But, I am going to keep track of it and if it doesn't fill up early, and I get back from my july-august swing out west in one piece , this may be do-able.

It's a little pricey for just a single day session, but I'll just tell SWMBO it is only $50. Ssssh!!
wink.png
The ARC is $375 for one day: https://kickstartmts.com/product-category/total-control-arc/

$250 is a bargain. Tell her it is on sale by $125. She will not be able to resist.
smile.png

Seriously, it will be a great learning opportunity and it will be a blast!

In this post I will try to lay out what you can expect at this event.

First you will arrive at the Main Entrance to the track (see pic below). Check in at the guard shack and sign a waiver and get a wristband. Ride on the light gray road on the map around the outside of the track and over the bridge to the garage in the pits. Get a space in the garage and prep your bike. For this event, all you need to do is either pull the fuse for the tail light or cover it with blue painter's tape. Cover the headlight and turn signals only if they are glass. Make sure that your tires and brakes are in good condition. Bring tools just in case you need them. Plenty of water, snacks, and a folding chair (if possible) will come in handy. Bring your bike to tech inspection (7-8am). After Tech, wait the the riders meeting at 8:15.

Thompson2.jpg

The rider's meeting will cover a number of issues to make the day safer and more enjoyable. After the rider's meeting, it is time for Follow the Leader. The group is broken up into three sections. The first section is the Sport Tourer Group, the second is the Tourer Group, and the third group is the Cruiser Group. Each group is progressively slower although there will be no fast group at this day. The follow the leader is a slow speed series of laps to help you learn the track and to learn the proper line around the track. As long as you stay on this line then you can go whatever speed you want and no one will bother you. It is the responsibility of those wanting to pass to do so safely. There is no passing in the curves. Each rider gets a chance to take a lap directly behind the instructor. Immediately after the follow the leader, riders go for classroom instruction. Instructors will give tips and riders can ask questions about the line etc.

The rest of the day alternates between on track sessions and classroom sessions with a buffet lunch in the middle. Sport Tourers ride with Sport Tourers etc., but riders can move up or down to an appropriate level.

The idea is not to race around the track at the edge of your ability. The goal is to work on your turns and braking in a controlled environment. You have the same curves over and over to work on your technique using tips learned in the classroom, in body position clinics, and from instructor's observations of your riding. Instructors and Control Riders will be circling the track observing all riders. You can ask them to follow you and critique your riding.

The track is shown in the pic below. Initially you enter the track 2 at a time from the pits half way down the straightaway. You will learn that the braking point begins somewhere near a tree at the dogleg of the straight. Turns 1 and 2 should be approached cautiously until you learn the track. There is plenty of run off, but you do not want to enter this turn too hot. There are x's on the pavement to help you judge the tip in point for the curves. There are cones to help you judge the apex and the exits of the curves. You will learn how to improve your lines through the curves. This is especially helpful on the street. Turn 3 is straight forward, but turn 4 is pretty tight. The rest of the track is pretty straight forward and loads of fun!

If you attend the classes, listen to the instructors, and work on your technique then you will learn a lot. There are a lot of lessons that you can take with you on the street. It is a great day.

Track.jpg

"You need a full face or modular helmet, motorcycle jacket & pants (no chaps)." Well there goes most of the cruiser crowd, seriously you guys will have fun! Had my 04 on Sears Point raceway some time ago and had a blast. It's the best place to learn what the bike can really do.

Post up some pictures from the event!

"You need a full face or modular helmet, motorcycle jacket & pants (no chaps)." Well there goes most of the cruiser crowd, seriously you guys will have fun! Had my 04 on Sears Point raceway some time ago and had a blast. It's the best place to learn what the bike can really do.Post up some pictures from the event!
We have had some cruiser riders get gear for the event. You are right though - it is a tough sell to the cruiser crowd. I have no stake in this so I do not care how many show up.

Here is on-board video of me riding in the fast group during the NER Non-Sportbike Track Day. I made some mistakes with my lines and downshifting, but learned a lot and had a great day. My dark visor on my Nolan kept falling down when I hit the brakes hard. It was real annoying when you are braking from speed into a hairpin. next time I'll have to step up to an FJR. :)

https://vimeo.com/103968237

Latest posts