decision on which to buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstewart

Reaction score
I traded my 08 FJR last fall on a new 2013 Honda VFR 1200F. Love the Honda but I have decided to get another FJR for touring this summer (if & when the winter weather
cold.gif
finally turns us loose). I am not getting rid of the Honda I just want another FJR which is better suited for touring. I can buy my old 2008 FJR which has 20,000 miles and is in perfect condition back from the Honda dealer for $7,600 or go for a new 2014 FJR ES model. From an economic standpoint it's a no brainer since the 08 is perfect cosmetically & mechanically and will serve the purpose quite adequately. Is the 2014 FJR ES model enough of an improvement to justify the difference in cost??? I almost bought a 2013 FJR instead of the Honda but considering the list of added features in the 2014 model I am glad I didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say it depends mostly on your wallet. If you had a stock suspension on the '08 and were happy with it, you'll like the ES. That is, if you're not a heavyweight and won't need an upgrade (and most won't do it anyway 'cuz it's decent), and you can afford the extra bucks.......... the big upgrade to me is the throttle by wire. Cruise is nice if you never had it. Do the numbers all in, and if it speaks to you............

What RaYzerman19 said. I feel as the refinements over my 08, especially in the default suspension setting, are apparent in almost every aspect of the ES. Wallet and desire dictate this decision!

I had an 07 in perfect condition and 32K miles. Reason I up graded to the 14ES was the cruise control, electric suspension, traction control, heated grips, and the most beautiful red ever applied to a motorbike. If your 08 has most of those features then going to an ES may make the decision more a matter of affordability.

Well if you traded your 08 in last year and want an FJR again this year, I am thinking money isnt an issue. Go with the ES!

I upgraded my order to the E, the electronic suspension ES is called the E Down Under.

Only upgraded, and it was a hard decision, due to my gut operations and still at least 1 more to go.

It was good on the Trophy to have 2 separate programmed suspension modes, one for the twisties and one for our great roads.

On the other hand, I will have a good Ohlins spare shock and a complete set of fork spares in the garage.

I can work on the standard forks not a problem.

If it wasn't for my guts, I would have gone with the standard A the E is an additional $2000.00

Logic prevails...save the $10k and buy your '08 back. Use the funds for suspension, fuel, tires and trips!
--G
I'm with escape, but FWIW, there's one more thing to consider: it's not just the difference in purchase price. You need to factor in depreciation. For example, 5 years from now, if you decide to sell your FJR, it will cost you a lot more in depreciation on the 2014 than the older bike. That '08 won't be losing much value from this point forward. That is cold hard cash that you will have to give up to own the newer bike. I drove the '14 ES a couple weeks ago at Daytona. You asked if the difference was worth the money. For me: absolutely not. Consider this: buy your old bike back, and ride it for a couple years. If you're still sure by then that you'd be interested in a '14, you can pick one up for something like 10-11k at that time and save a bundle. You get to let somebody else cough up the big loss in depreciation: their loss becomes your gain. You'll own the same bike for a lot less money. If money was no object, I don't believe you would have asked the forum.

The bike itself: what's it got that your older FJR doesn't have? A bunch of stuff, as you are well aware, but the real question is, how much is that stuff worth to you? For me, I could care less about things like adjustable suspension. I don't adjust the suspension I have. It's wonderfully smooth, sucks up bumps like a vacuum cleaner, and goes around corners like it's on rails. My Gen 1, with what many on this forum say is a worn out shock... has far more handling capacity than I'll ever use. What more could I want? Traction control? Why? I'd most likely never use it. The cruise control? Granted: nice. But 7000 dollars nice? Not for me. There's more, I know, but again: how much are these items worth to you?

Just my opinion.

Gary

darksider #44

I'm curious .. the VFR .. what about it doesn't lend it well to touring? Wind protection, ergonomics, ??? Something that can't be changed/upgraded to suit?

As a former 5th gen VFR-owner (well .. technically my brother hasn't paid me for it yet so it's still mine, but that's a different story ...) I think that 781cc V4 is one of the best engines ever made. Is the 1200 big brother living up it's pedigree?

Logic prevails...save the $10k and buy your '08 back. Use the funds for suspension, fuel, tires and trips!--G
Every time I even look lustfully at a new bike, my wallet slaps me, I go for a ride on Lucille, and my bride smiles (and winks at my wallet - I think the two of them have a great conspiracy going).

Two bikes are a wonderful thing, even if one of them is "older".

what George says. Buy the 08, spend $2k to upgrade suspension to Ohlins and GP, and don't look back.

And...... one day there's always that new '15 or '16 model that will come in a new colour........ the other factor is what annual mileage will go on the FJR..... if it's your current 20k / 6 = 3300 per year, then I'd go with the '08 for a couple of years.

I'm curious .. the VFR .. what about it doesn't lend it well to touring? Wind protection, ergonomics, ??? Something that can't be changed/upgraded to suit?
As a former 5th gen VFR-owner (well .. technically my brother hasn't paid me for it yet so it's still mine, but that's a different story ...) I think that 781cc V4 is one of the best engines ever made. Is the 1200 big brother living up it's pedigree?
The VFR1200F is sort of a tweener bike. It is not really a sport touring bike and it is to heavy to be a real sport bike. It is also nearly as expensive as a FJR but without the standard sport touring equipment on the FJR. The ride position stock is similar to my old 1999 Honda Blackbird, comfortable for day long rides, but to confined for multiple back to back days at my age. Unlike the FJR everything needed to make it a sport tourer is not standard on the bike. The optional Honda side cases are about $1,100 and they are not as large as the FJR cases. Honda has an optional windshield which would help but it is not as effective as the stock FJR electric adjustable windscreen. Like the VFR 800 you have to add everything necessary to make the bike a real sport touring bike. Bottom line is the VFR 1200 is not comfortable enough for me on multi day rides.

On the plus side the VFR 1200F is a bunch faster than either my 05 or my 08 FJR's were (50 pounds lighter than my 08 FJR was with both bikes with full tanks as measured on my garage scales) with at least 15 to 20 more RWHP. It has a great motor with the only downside being mediocore gas milage. It also has better brakes (ABS with 6 piston front calipers), and because of the weight difference is more stable at the (my) limit laid over in corners than my 08 FJR was. Where my peg feelers were ground off on the 08 FJR the Honda is not close to touching down anything. These things make the Honda a more fun bike to ride, sort of a gentleman's express rather than a sport bike or sport touring bike.

buy back your old machine......but there are two questions....how much will you loose on the vfr sale? if they give you crap for it might as well get a higher dollar for it and buy the newer fjr. Second was there and issue with the 08 and that is why you sold it or was it just lusting for something diff?

buy back your old machine......but there are two questions....how much will you loose on the vfr sale? if they give you crap for it might as well get a higher dollar for it and buy the newer fjr. Second was there and issue with the 08 and that is why you sold it or was it just lusting for something diff?
I will not lose anything on the VFR since I am going to keep it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 08 FJR (cosmetically or mechanically). I traded it on the VFR right after replacing the tires, battery & changing all the fluids. I still have a new Sargent seat and a set of Staintune mufflers as well as a Yamaha touring windscreen for the 08 in storage.

I bought the VFR-1200 because I wanted something different. I had 3 motorcycles (08 FJR, 03 HD Superglide, 2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R) and didn't have room for a fourth so something had to go. I looked at the 13 FJR but had a really bad Yamaha factory sponsored test ride experience in June 2013 on a new FJR. I got a good deal on the Honda and traded the 08 FJR. I should have sold the 2012 ZX 14R instead of the 08 FJR. Hindsight is always perfect isn't it. If I buy either my old 08 or a new 14 FJR I will be selling or trading the ZX-14.

"I bought the VFR-1200 because I wanted something different. I had 3 motorcycles (08 FJR, 03 HD Superglide, 2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R) and didn't have room for a fourth so something had to go. I looked at the 13 FJR but had a really bad Yamaha factory sponsored test ride experience in June 2013 on a new FJR. I got a good deal on the Honda and traded the 08 FJR. I should have sold the 2012 ZX 14R instead of the 08 FJR. Hindsight is always perfect isn't it. If I buy either my old 08 or a new 14 FJR I will be selling or trading the ZX-14"

What kind of things would I say if money was no problem and there was no wife in the house?

Carnac.jpg