kfg racing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorman13

Reaction score
Hello fellow FJR owners. I want to thank all of you who responded to my last post regarding front and rear suspension upgrades to my 07. I did purchase the Ohlins YA707 from KFG but have not picked it up yet. I am contemplating having them do the install and revalve the front forks and set up for me but have read some mixed reviews regarding quality of work. I know some of you fellow owners have had work done at KFG in Auburn and would like as much feedback as possible. I have done all the maintenance up to this point, 44,000 miles, I have done the 26k valve check to include the upgraded timing chain tensioner, plugs every year, t/body sync every year, coolant flushes and brake flushes. I am a little hesitant to let others work on my "baby" so again, any feedback regarding KFG would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KFG/GP does good work, the few that had problems had them resolved, I think the problem others have had was under spring for their weight, what is your weight? what spring rate did you get for the rear? You can install the rear your self, with your purchase of the shocks and forks upgrade they will setup your correct sag and damping for your weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I weigh about 190-200 had them order for 190 through Ohlins. Dont have spring specs yet as I havent picked up the shock.

I'm around 225 and I have a 950 # spring on the back and a 1.05 spring in front. I had a 1.0 in front and was using most of the preload adjustment, the 1.05 puts me in the middle of the adjustment range and has a better feel on the road. I would get the upper range, you also need to add weight for a loaded bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard Ohlins YA707 comes with a -54 spring 799 lbs /inch. I ordered a -59.

They really do have a strange spring ratings.

Spring+Rate+Chart.jpg

Had a seal leaking on front tube. Since I'm in Denver I pulled tubes myself and sent it to GP to replace seals and upgrade valves. All of there work was good, and I'm a happy camper.

RM13 - the main thing is to communicate your needs to them. They will assist as much as you want or do the whole thing. It is suspension, so you will need to make adjustments and communicating with them will help you understand which way to adjust. If they don't know that you have an issue, they can't help you solve it. They are tremendous resource to have here locally.

Last year I had them rebuild and set my my Ohlin rear shock for two up riding, there set up and work was perfect and was much better that the shop that did the original set up on my shock.

This year I had them install tthere new cartrige kit in the front forks of my bike and am extremely happy with the set up and quality of there work . Two thumbs up recomendation, great group to work with and they realy know how to set up the suspension on a FJR..

My forks were handed off to Barry last Saturday. Hopefully I will have them friday so I can get them installed. Top quality suspension in our back yard. I feel fortunate that GP is so close.

I had my front forks upgraded on my 2013 this Winter and could not have been happier with the service or turn around time. However......being in Michigan I have not had a chance to try out their work (darn Michigan winters), but have no doubt they will work well!
punk.gif

Had Barry and crew upgrade to GP Carts and a Penske rear.

Set up seems perfect - very pleased with everything. Barry spent 30 minutes in the shop getting everything tailored to my height/weight/etc.

This turns the FJR into a completely new machine. We're talking night and day different.

Completely happy with their products and service.