Throttle By Wire Is/Is Not A Wrist-Killer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilKate

Reaction score
I have a 2007 FJR; the effort to turn the throttle is a wrist killer (as noted on this forum). Not interested in any of the spring fixes. Question; for anyone who now has a 2013 or 2014 with the throttle by wire, and who also had an earlier model FJR with throttle cables, is the effort to turn the throttle on these newer bikes similar or significantly less than the earlier models?? I know the newer bikes have cruise control but I spend a lot of time riding in town.

Thanks;

Can't answer your question, BUT I CAN ask YOU one....

Why aren't you interested in a fix?

Or are you simply self-justifying a new purchase? :)

Take the plunge...go buy a new one!

Having had an 07 and now a '13 I can tell you that there is a big difference. The throttle on the '13 is precise and not heavy at all. Makes for low speed maneuvering a breeze.

Personally, I didn't think the throttle on the 07 was that bad at all. I never did any mods to mine. But there is a big difference with a gen 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the difference between the 08 and the 14 is waaaay different. For some reason though, it took me a while to get used to taking off from a stop. I actually stalled it a couple of times. I think it was just the different feel on the 14 since I haven't had a problem since. Also notice that the action rolling on the throttle as in driving out of a corner is a lot smoother than the 08 was. And the difference between touring and sport mode is really noticeable as well.

Yes, the difference between the 08 and the 14 is waaaay different. For some reason though, it took me a while to get used to taking off from a stop. I actually stalled it a couple of times. I think it was just the different feel on the 14 since I haven't had a problem since. Also notice that the action rolling on the throttle as in driving out of a corner is a lot smoother than the 08 was. And the difference between touring and sport mode is really noticeable as well.
+1

+1
+10, Ten Fold Gunny! JSNS!

+11 on Bogus' remarks. I had an 07 and modified with G2 and spring unwind. I did not find it a wrist killer but can tell you the 14ES is as smooth as silk. There are so many refinements on the 14 vs 07 I have no buyers remorse.

All true. My '13 is lighter than my 04 is, even AFTER the spring re-wind.

Their. We've made the kool-aid, now, just take a little sip.

The difference between my old Vulcan and my '13 FJR is night and day better!

What? That's not what the OP was asking? I'll, uh, just step over here.

My wife's '05 Volvo has thottle-by-wire with manual transmission. I have to modify my throttle technique to overcome the slight but noticeable lag waiting for the servo motor to respond or I lug the engine a bit. Have you '13/'14 FJR owners noticed any lag?

My wife's '05 Volvo has thottle-by-wire with manual transmission. I have to modify my throttle technique to overcome the slight but noticeable lag waiting for the servo motor to respond or I lug the engine a bit. Have you '13/'14 FJR owners noticed any lag?
No lag at all when in Sport Mode. Tour Mode has a delay and/or more gradual throttle response.

Maybe the "lag" you mention is the reason that I stalled it a few times when I first took it out. Although barely perceptible, I think it was just enough change from direct cable operation that it took me a few times to get used to it. I haven't had any problems since and am very happy with the throttle response.

Like Allen_C, I notice a small lag in tour mode, and no lag in sport mode.

In tour mode, the lag feels like they have programmed some "cable slack" in the throttle response.

"But Dear, I have to buy a new motorcycle, the throttle on my old one is too hard to twist."
not_i.gif

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard of for justifying a new bike (let us know if it works though!)
yes2.gif

I've noticed no lag whatsoever on the four or so '14 models and three or so '13 models I have ridden. No stalls, no issues. I wouldn't describe Tour Mode as having a 'lag' either, just not as crisp throttle response.