Impromptu Tech Day - Part Deux 4/19/14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Yes I know it is Easter weekend. That is what works for us.

.Myself and Powerman are planning on doing valve clearance checks. If anyone else in the area wants to come and watch, assist, or work on their own bikes you are welcome. As with the first ITD this is a Saturday only event. If you want to stay overnight I can direct you to accommodations. I do not have a tire changer. however I have a local shop that does it for $20/tire if you bring them the tire. They close at noon, so you would have to be there by 11 to be safe. I can provide transportation. I have most any tools you would need to work on your bike if you want to do some work. I also have a FSM.

If you are interested in attending PM and I can give you my number and address/directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, replied in the other playground. I need to do the valve check procedure as well. If I need to bring anything, let me know...I have a fair number of tools, including a Motion Pro fork oil measuring tool if anyone wants to do forks or something.

If it is not raining, I may ride up and hang out to watch some of you do some work.

I'm also in need of a valve check. This is definitely something that I need to know how to do... or get screwed without a kiss from the stealer. Speaking of the stealer. I plan to take my bike to them tomorrow to have the hot starting issue worked out. I need that done before Ohio.

I had a few scares last year with the "texters" during my commutes to work.. Took a break from riding to recover a little. The Fjr does not do well at 60 in the median(but it did get me through that occasion). I need to purchase and mount a go-pro or something to record my murder if they take me out.. The Fj is beckoning hard this year, so therefor, I must ride.
smile.png

Look forward to coming down to visit and learn a thing or two.

I had a few scares last year with the "texters" during my commutes to work.. Took a break from riding to recover a little. The Fjr does not do well at 60 in the median(but it did get me through that occasion). I need to purchase and mount a go-pro or something to record my murder if they take me out.. The Fj is beckoning hard this year, so therefor, I must ride.
smile.png

Look forward to coming down to visit and learn a thing or two.
I'll PM you my address.

Well...it looks like I ain't gonna be able to make this shindig. Ya'll have fun!

I'll see some of you at the Ramble and some at the Appalachian camping trip.

But, Bob...I'll see you early on April 18th, looking forward to the ride.

Well...it looks like I ain't gonna be able to make this shindig. Ya'll have fun!
I'll see some of you at the Ramble and some at the Appalachian camping trip.

But, Bob...I'll see you early on April 18th, looking forward to the ride.
Yeah. Just try to keep up. OK?

Question on the parts list that you sent me yesterday, Bob. Why do I need an oil pump cover gasket? Will I be removing an oil pump cover? Also, the parts list that you sent is for a Gen 2. I'm assuming since it's the same engine, the parts list is the same. And this list is missing the valve cover gasket.

Question on the parts list that you sent me yesterday, Bob. Why do I need an oil pump cover gasket? Will I be removing an oil pump cover? Also, the parts list that you sent is for a Gen 2. I'm assuming since it's the same engine, the parts list is the same. And this list is missing the valve cover gasket.
Info sent by email.

Unfortunately, the long range forecast looks wet for Saturday. Just a heads up that I do have a garage. I will be working on my bike rain or shine.

Rain, shmain... I plan to be there. Hopefully, I can wake up early enough to get there at a decent time, lol.

BTW, I do not yet have directions to your estate, please PM. :D

I just started ordering parts for my own valve check. So far I've got a new CCT with gasket, a shim kit, plugs, wires and boots, valve cover gasket (just in case), a manometer, and feeler gauges. Man, I would love to observe, especially since you seem to have an idea what you're doin. Sure, it could be an illusion. But I'm betting that watching you could save me a ton of aggravation.

Please let us know what time you plan to start.