Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 - June - Peninsula start/finish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkHogNeato

Reaction score
Hey all,

My brother and I are talking about doing a Saddle Sore 1000 sometime in early June, so I thought I'd toss it out there to see if anyone else would like to participate. As we get closer we'll keep an eye on the forecast for a Saturday that looks good both here and up north in Oregon.

We'll leave early from the 76 station at Norfolk & Fashion Island Blvd in San Mateo, head north on 101 to 80, 80 to 505, 505 to 5, 5 to 97, 97 to 58, 58 to 5, and 5 back south to 505, 80, 101, finishing at the gas station in San Mateo. Total trip - 1095 miles according to Google Maps.

We're not looking to break any records, just do a safe run and earn our stripes. You'll need to secure your own start/finish witnesses since there is the chance people will get back at different times.

Kevin

Good luck!

Google shows a 17 hour time for your route. You have quite a bit of two lane once you hit 97 that might slow you down with summer traffic.

Let us know how ya do!

I have a house in Klamath Falls, so I've done that leg of the trip plenty. It actually goes a lot faster than Maps suggests.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in tagging along, please let me know.

Have a great ride! If you gather a number of riders for this, I recommend agreeing up front to not worry about sticking together. Riding a pace you like is paramount and that is tough with other riders, especially ones you are not familiar with. Time spent at stops will vary greatly too. I shoot for 10-15 minutes max, with gas and a pee. You can eat and drink on the road.

Good luck, plan the ride and ride the plan!

Have a great ride! If you gather a number of riders for this, I recommend agreeing up front to not worry about sticking together. Riding a pace you like is paramount and that is tough with other riders, especially ones you are not familiar with. Time spent at stops will vary greatly too. I shoot for 10-15 minutes max, with gas and a pee. You can eat and drink on the road.
This^^^^ is great advice...too many riders adds a lot of unneeded complications.

--G