Cool Calistoga - March 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
We started the morning off with coffee and chit chat and then hit the road. Encountered rain around Danville and that lasted about 1-1/2 hours allowing me to find out that my boots and gloves were not rainproof. No photos until we all got to Calistoga for lunch at a great place called Checkers - try the lamb sammich!
DSC_1569-L.jpg

Everyone headed for our home-away-from-home, Mountain Home Ranch, and I decided to snap a few pics before meeting everyone there... while it was cool and cloudy, we didn't encounter any more rain...
DSC_1579-XL.jpg

DSC_1582-XL.jpg

DSC_1595-XL.jpg

DSC_1600-XL.jpg

DSC_1609-XL.jpg

The road in to the ranch is a bit goaty and seems like it goes on forever the first time you ride out there...
DSC_1620-XL.jpg

But I finally made it!
DSC_1745-XL.jpg

The main house...
DSC_1649-XL.jpg

DSC_1762-XL.jpg

Susan and Susan were puzzled...
DSC_1623-XL.jpg

The dining room where we would be presented with delectable breakfasts and dinners...
DSC_1650-XL.jpg

And we found a nice warm spot to dry out our gear...
DSC_1621-XL.jpg

I have to say that MHR is a real gem... when I had originally looked for places to stay in Calistoga, everything was ridiculously expensive and thoughts of moving the location loomed in my head... but then a Google search and voila! Our place was found!! The cabins are rustic but comfortable - we were in the Love cabin and it fit four ladies quite comfortably.
DSC_1659-XL.jpg

DSC_1748-XL.jpg

Lots of blooming flowers and the wisteria trellis smelled heavenly.
DSC_1641-XL.jpg

DSC_1765-XL.jpg

All kinds of places to sit and relax and just enjoy the moment...
DSC_1769-XL.jpg

DSC_1665-XL.jpg

DSC_1639-XL.jpg

They have some farm animals onsite and families with children were having a fun time feeding them fresh carrots provided by the ranch. Lots of room to run around and play or just relax too.
DSC_1630-XL.jpg

DSC_1632-XL.jpg

The owners, John and Suzanne, are an active part of the meals along with their chef who makes some incredibly yummy food... we chose to stay put and pay a little extra to have a home cooked meal right there (breakfast is included in the cabin rental price) and it was worth every penny... first night was steak, a barley dish, fresh salad and vegetables...
DSC_1653-L.jpg

We all found our respective places to rest our heads and awoke the next morning to fresh coffee and a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, and heart-shaped pancakes because John believes you should start every day out with a little love...
DSC_1663-L.jpg

We had two routes to choose from and opted for the longer one going north... like this. And with happy tummies and great anticipation, it was time to hit the road! The day was turning out to be cool and clear which was perfect riding conditions not only for the weather but also for the traffic... we had hardly any the whole weekend since most folks stayed home because of a little rain... their loss, our gain!
DSC_1667-XL.jpg

The first part of the route was a lively pace led by Susan W... I forgot my lanyard so didn't have the small camera out and we were just having too much fun to stop for many pics...
DSC_1693-XL.jpg

Oh and I found a lanyard at the market in Middletown... it was this or the Raiders... LOL
bad%20-%20IMG_0198-L.jpg

IMG_0180-XL.jpg

Lots of this stuff...
DSC_1691-XL.jpg

Ever had the feeling you're being watched?
DSC_1695-XL.jpg

Along 128, Pope Valley Rd., Butts Canyon, and stopping in Middletown for a bio break. I turned back to get a couple of snaps of what we had passed while the others took their break...
DSC_1671-XL.jpg

DSC_1683-XL.jpg

And I can truthfully say I went to church on Sunday...
DSC_1681-XL.jpg

From Middletown, we hit 175 to Kelseyville and then 175 into Hopland... it was a hoot! At the end, everyone had big smiles on their faces while gleefully chanting, "Again! Again!!!!"
DSC_1701.02.03%20pano-XL.jpg

IMG_0194-XL.jpg

IMG_0200-XL.jpg

IMG_0186-XL.jpg

We scooted into Hopland for some lunch... if you're there, try this place... good burgers!!
DSC_1723-XL.jpg

Around town...
DSC_1708-L.jpg

DSC_1713-XL.jpg

DSC_1718-XL.jpg

DSC_1720-XL.jpg

We high-tailed it back along 101 and 128 to Calistoga since most of us had spa appointments at Indian Springs... mud baths, hot springs pool soaking, massages... life is good!
DSC_1726-XL.jpg

DSC_1727-XL.jpg

I have lots of things to hang on this tree...
DSC_1731-XL.jpg

Oh, and one curiosity at the hot springs pool... not sure whose idea it was to put a funhouse mirror next to a pool but okie dokie... LOL
IMG_0206-L.jpg

A couple pics on the way back to the ranch...
DSC_1736-XL.jpg

DSC_1740-XL.jpg

Hmmmm... tempting!
DSC_1742-XL.jpg

We all gathered again for dinner which was a polenta/mushroom casserole thing that was scrumptious... again with veggies and salad... and dessert was rhubarb pie... yuhMEEE!!!
DSC_1772-XL.jpg

After dinner, everyone played 7th grade dance... the boys at the table talking about technical stuff...
DSC_1773-XL.jpg

And the girls sitting by the fireplace talking about everything else...
DSC_1774-XL.jpg

Reluctantly, we headed for bed and checked the weather for the next day... looked like if we left early, we'd be able to get home before the rain hit around noon... so we had one more wonderful meal before packing up and heading for home... I dilly dallied to get some bonus photos for a rally that I'm participating in...
0331141109~2-L.jpg

And I stayed out just a little too long and got soaked on the final few miles home... rain jacket and pants worked perfectly... I've already ordered a set of waterproof boots and better gloves! This was such a great weekend, we decided to make plans to go back again later this year so stay tuned for details for the return trip!

Thanks to those who braved the storms and came out to make it a memorable weekend!

FIN

Thanks for the great RR Tyler. Though I gotta say...I started sneezing just looking at all those spring pics!
smile.png

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Noice!!!....said with fake Aussie accent

I'm sorry you had yet another miserable ride, with horrible company, terrible food and awful landscape. You poor soul. lol
coolsmiley02.gif

I never tire of visiting vineyards & orchards. They always just scream peacefulness and a slower pace of life to me. TFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great RR Tyler!

I really enjoyed the weekend and look forward to the return trip. Hopefully, we can get some more FJR peeps to thin the Kool-Aid some.

GR, if you can make it, come on over. I think a RR done by you and Tyler would be EPIC!

You're living life right Tyler. This photo makes makes me feel funny in my pants.
lmaosmiley.gif
Thank you for that body function update... :lol:

Yum, yum. Good stuff Ms. Conehead, great picture LMAO
Thought you'd like that... glad I was fully clothed!!
uhoh.gif

Thanks for the great RR Tyler. Though I gotta say...I started sneezing just looking at all those spring pics!
smile.png

--G
Wasn't too bad, G... everything still moist from the rain so not a lot of pollen floating around... ;)

Looks like y'all know how to enjoy things.
This one jumped out at me.
Me too... I had taken a shot from a different vantage point and started to ride away... I glanced one more time over my shoulder and saw this frame of it and knew that would be a much better angle... glad you liked it. B)

Noice!!!....said with fake Aussie accent
I'm sorry you had yet another miserable ride, with horrible company, terrible food and awful landscape. You poor soul. lol
coolsmiley02.gif

I never tire of visiting vineyards & orchards. They always just scream peacefulness and a slower pace of life to me. TFS.
Yeah, the things I have to suffer through... ;)

And I totally agree with you about the peacefulness... I'm really glad I peeled off on my own to go back to those vineyards... there was very little traffic on what is normally a very well-traveled road and with the clouds hovering low in the sky it was so quiet... after taking the pics, I put the camera away and just leaned on the bike and enjoyed the serenity...
bye.gif

Great RR Tyler!
I really enjoyed the weekend and look forward to the return trip. Hopefully, we can get some more FJR peeps to thin the Kool-Aid some.

GR, if you can make it, come on over. I think a RR done by you and Tyler would be EPIC!
It was great to have you join us, Greg... think there are FJR peeps that wouldn't be too afraid of some of those roads to join us? :D