SoCal Mechanic / Shop Recommendation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 17459

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in the Temecula area in SoCal and am looking for someplace that I can take my '07 FJR to get the front forks looked at and the fork oil changed. I do have a guy locally that helps me with the bike, but I don't think he's good or comfortable working on forks.

I replaced the front fork springs about a year ago with new Racetech springs / oil, and took it to him to install. I think the oil is no good already, or possibly he didn't put enough in. Don't want to try this myself, and don't want to spend a great deal of money, so I may just be replacing the fork oil.

Anybody have a recommendation on where to take the bike? I don't think the local Yamaha dealer has much experience with the FJR.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

I take my(forks only)directly to Race Tech but I live in Corona so its convenient. Any good shop should be able to change oil in your forks. What about Temecula motorsports? I've never been,is there a reason you dont want to go there?

Xavier6162, I've ben trying to call Racetech all day with no answer on any of their extensions. I think they're out riding today... I'll try again next week.

Ynotride, I think the guy I used didn't do a great job, so I'm a bit leery about taking it to some place that doesn't come recommended. The service guy I spoke with at Temecula Motorsports was talking about "outer oil chamber" and "inner oil chamber" until he referenced his service manual, and clearly knew nothing about FJRs. I'd rather take it some where that someone else has had a good experience.

Turbodave_98, have you had your bike worked on there, or do they have techs that are familiar with the FJR?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick didn't mention he's having an issue he thinks with excessive fork dive...... perhaps a combination of the lightweight RaceTech oil that's in there and perhaps it was not at the proper level........ if you go to RaceTech, Rick, have them use the next heavier oil than the SS1 that's in there...... I think it's USF05.....

Rickysnickers,

Thanks for the referral to Poway Motorcycle. I lived in Poway for many years before moving to Temecula and could visit my brother while the fork's being done!

Rick

Turbodave_98, have you had your bike worked on there, or do they have techs that are familiar with the FJR?
YAMAHA of Cucamonga is a Yamaha ONLY dealer, they are VERY familiar with the FJR.

They're a "Mom and Pop" family owned small dealer and they've been there forever, quite a few FJR guys recommend them.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on Cucamonga. I had my last two valve checks done there and would highly recommend. You might be better off going to Poway since it is probably closer.

Update on my front forks...

So many of you had recommended Rancho Cucamonga Yamaha, so I took it up there this morning and had them looked at.

After they got the forks off we looked at the oil that came out of the first one, and the oil was extremely dirty and had lots of finite metal shavings in it. Jay didn't want to accuse the mechanic that I used locally of not replacing the oil when he put the new Racetech springs in; however, but he indicated that it looked "an awful lot like the OEM oil that the bike comes with". It didn't seem like there was that much oil in the drain pan, so I asked if they could measure it. It's supposed to hold 700cc and the pan only had 450cc in it! Enough said.

The other fork actually had a leaky seal, which I didn't know about. I didn't bother to ask them to measure the oil that came out.

IT FEELS LIKE A WHOLE NEW BIKE NOW! In fact, I'll probably take the compression damping down from 6 clicks from the stop to 8 clicks, which is where I

used to run it a long time ago. I had put it to 6 clocks recently to see if it would help, but the damping just wasn't even working.

It's very possible that the local mechanic had just put in the new spring and not put in the Racetech oil I gave him, but that doesn't explain why he took the fender off. (I know he took it off because he left off two screws that I had to replace.) Perhaps he didn't put enough oil and it broke down faster? Don't know, and it doesn't matter at this point.

I took the bike to Rancho Cucamonga based on the great reviews you gave them, as I wanted to find another place that I could take the bike for major service stuff that I can't do. Both the owner and the mechanic that worked on my bike are very familiar with FJRs, and their prices were also reasonable. I generally don't like taking my vehicles to dealers, but this dealer has earned my loyalty and business. It's worth the 1-hour ride from Temecula.

Thanks again for recommending Rancho Cucamonga Yamaha.

Rick

It's great to hear good things about a dealer for a change.
good.gif

I love a story with a happy ending. Enjoy you almost new forks!