thin bike cover - does one exist?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNtexas

Reaction score
When I travel I'd like to have a cover for my FJR, mostly just to keep the details of the bike out of sight and to protect it from morning dew.

Most of the covers I've seen are pretty thick and heavy, as one would want for a bike that was always outside.

I'd like one that was made of thin and light material, in an ideal world it would roll up to the size of a softball or less.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nelson Rigg UV2000

It is a half-cover, but will be everything you want

On the road. I have pics at home, but if you do a forum search- I remember I posted them before.

It comes with its own case and fits quickly and easily into it.

I was going to tell you about the Bike Condom. Went to the website and it's out of business--the site anyway. And Motorcycle Superstore shows "this item is no longer available." Too bad. Cheap ($10), extremely portable, reusable; there's nothing I didn't like about it. I bought two at least 3 years ago, probably more like 4 or even 5, because I figured one would rip or something and I'd have the second. I'm still using the first. That being said, I've used it no more than 7 or 8 times, but the rare times when I wanted it on, it was fine. And no, I won't sell you my spare.
smile.png

So why go on so about a product you may not be able to find? Somebody might still have them, or maybe they'll even gear up and go back in business. And if they do, you won't find anything at the size or price that does the job so slick. It has elastic on the edges and a strap to connect under the bike. BTW, it's packed in a really tight plastic bag--which ripped after one or two uses, so mine is now stored in a 1-gallon Ziplock baggie. (If you google bike condom better images come up.)

IMG_0866.jpg

A softball or less is mighty small however if you want to spend lots o money there is this https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-ultralight-bike-covers-6.html

I bought one many years ago for 99 bucks and thought it was pricey then but it turns out to be a good quality cover. I do not use it daily but every time the bike was parked out doors on a trip I used it. For being thin it holds up really well and is quite compact.

It seems as thin as a garbage bag but much stronger plus it packs smaller than most covers. I really like mine.

Not rain proof but worked quite well to a very frosty morning in Custer SD during CFO 08 and can be easily pulled down to cover the both tires. Cinch straps keep it in place.

IMG_0059_zps531dac61.jpg

The FJR is gone now but I still use it on my KTM when on the road.

Go to ebay and buy one of the light weight covers. Make sure you order an XL if you want to fully cover the side bags and top case. I have been using these inexpensive covers for years. They pack down to the size of a grapefruit. They are not water proof but will keep the dew off your bike. I use one on road trips if parking out doors. No need to waste your $$ on expensive covers if all you want is to cover the bike over night while on road trips.

I use a half cover now, but when I had my Venture Royal, I made a cover out of Tyvek house wrap,just draped a piece over the bike,folded up extra material,snipped and wifey sewed it up. AA few areas on the bottom we added elastic. It worked great. It squished up real small.

I use the BILT bike cover from Cycle Gear. It's on sale now for $19.99. It is a think semi waterproof nylon and fully covers the bike with windshield, topcase and bags, and secure under the bike with a couple shock straps. Totally keeps electronics and other things on your bike out of sight, and make for a dry seat in the morning unless you have heavy rain. It packs in a compression sack to a reasonably small size. I have used it on a couple cross country trips, gatherings and short trips. Nice to cover the bike at the motel in an unknown location.

Been using Tour King half covers for decades. Pack up into about the size of a soda can. They last a long time and I could buy 4 (or more) for the price of one Nelson Rigg.
https://www.tourking.us/shop/index.php/

Nelson Rigg UV2000 1/2 covers are under $35.00, Tour King are $48.00.

Bounce where did you get your cover?

Been using Tour King half covers for decades. Pack up into about the size of a soda can. They last a long time and I could buy 4 (or more) for the price of one Nelson Rigg.
https://www.tourking.us/shop/index.php/

Nelson Rigg UV2000 1/2 covers are under $35.00, Tour King are $48.00.

Bounce where did you get your cover?
The one I was thinking about (with the IBR discount) was about $300.

Your numbers made me go do a search. I was wrong about the brand. What I was thinking about was the Geza cover.

Here's from my TK web page info at:

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/tk/tk.html

tk-7.jpg